ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #31
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,455
I can only report on general feedback from KTM owners and when I've been in to visit them.

3-Bros, Costa Mesa. Good bunch, always busy in service, seem to have a very good reputation.

Z-Racing has finally sold and moved down the street from their Katella location, across the street which is now across from Ford of Orange. Stopped there recently and it's an all new store, seem to be nice enough bunch of young riders and enthusiasts. Although they didn't know much about Husqvarna.

The guys that used to be at Z-racing that started their own company, Tim I think was one of them, are a repair shop but I don't think they can do warranty work. Smart bunch they are though...INSIDE LINE MOTO. Not sure where they are, haven't paid attention cuz I don't have a KTM any longer.

Ersin (FYYFF) here works in marketing at Del Amo and if you asked for him as a fellow ADV'r I'm sure he would see that you're taken care of there.

Eric's in Pasadena closed.

I can't speak for the others. Like Bert's Mega Mall or Chapparals. Both are KTM dealers with service, but it's a crap-shoot as to what you'll get at either.

Malcolm Smith's son runs their shop and I get the feeling they know what they're doing - out in Riverside. If 3-Bros couldn't help me I'd probly go there, but then I'm 40 miles south of LA.

That's all I know...
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #32
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,986
Any feedback on the Thousand Oaks Powersports service department for the big KTMs (LC-8s)?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #33
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
The member fast4d here should tell his story about thousand oaks. its a pretty funny one.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #34
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,415
If you end up with nothing in LA/OC, the place to take your LC8 in San Diego County is

http://www.allamericanktm.com/

All American KTM
872 Main Street
Ramona, CA 92065
(760) 788-7733

I moved to SD four years ago and everybody said take it there and avoid all the other KTM shops in SD county.
DangerMoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #35
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 218
On this side: Erics KTM in Pasadena has closed up...BUT, Brett, the wrench is at ESP (Exceptional Suspension) in La Canada/Flintridge on Foothill Blvd. He's been wrenching there for about a year now.

On that side: Lior's Motoride http://liorsmotoride.com/ in Corona. Lior is a factory KTM wrench and also (I believe) a factory BMW wrench as well. Very knowledgeable. Lior is the kind of guy that brings his tools to a rally and fixes everyone broken crap that they should have taken care of before the ride. Honest guy and he can even ride through some sand trails on his 1190 at some good speeds. I trust both both of these guys with my '08 990S.

08 KTM 990S, 08 Husky TE610,
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #36
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
I would not take my ktm to a dealer even for warranty work. unless parts will cost more than $100

pro italia in glendale has ktm street service. I have heard both good and bad. expect a long wait......depends how good a customer you've been.....

I just bought a new ktm 990 and it will never see a dealer if I can help it.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #37
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Any feedback on the Thousand Oaks Powersports service department for the big KTMs (LC-8s)?

a big NO.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:09 PM   #38
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
a big NO.
X10, total JOKE T.O. service
Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #39
socaltrailrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I've had the guys at Inside Line Moto do work on my KTM's and Lior at Liors motoride do work on my BMW. You can't go wrong with either shop. Good guys, great work and fair pricing.
socaltrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #40
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I would not take my ktm to a dealer even for warranty work. unless parts will cost more than $100
I wouldn't either, just because it is hassle... But in this case we are probably talking engine rebuild unfortunately. I took my tank off and removed the lid tonight; dust all through my airbox and TB's.

Really sucks because I sealed the gap between top and bottom, but clearly it is not sealed internally either as the dirt went right over filter. Lots of bugs in filter, no dust, that was all on the wrong side. Hard starting and lots of oil blowby out CCV with a heavily dusted airbox paints a pretty clear picture. At this point, now I need a KTM dealer to perform the leakdown to quantify how bad the damage is and see if KTM USA will cover the damage, either with rebuild or crate engine. It will really suck if they say I am SOL. Or maybe (fingers crossed) the leakdown will be OK and my worsening hard starting and excessive oil blowby is something simple(but not sure what else would cause this).

I guess I will contact KTM customer service in OH, show them pictures and let them tell me what dealer they want me to take the bike to. If only I was still in NC this would be a little better in that the dealer there is great.

Oh and random trailer rant speaking of taking it to dealer, WTF is up with the nonsensical 55mph trailer limit in CA? I bought a Kendon trailer precisely so I would be able to transport with ease, drove 80mph across the country with no issues, then get to CA on I-15 welcomed by all these crazy signs about a rolling roadblock speed limit enforced for trailers... Notice no one seems to follow it, but played it safe (at least I thought so) and set the cruise to 62mph... Was 10miles from new home and got pulled over and given a $750 ticket for speeding and not traveling in most right lane. CHP officer was a rotten human being, extremely hostile for no reason, and not interested in my explanation that I needed to merge left in 1mile from 210 to Ventura fwy (same fine for 'speeding' at 62mph with trailer in 75mph traffic as going over 100mph!!!???).

Between the discovery my new 1190 was eating dirt with no great options to take it to, the 100%BS $$$ fine, and the realization using a trailer is untenable in CA, this has been a really crappy first couple days here.

wilmar13 screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 11:41 PM
wilmar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #41
The Wolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
fuck california.

im sorry its shitty so far, but im sure it will get better. california does have some perks, and eventually you will find them.

what area are you in?

if you can, just give 3bros a call. there shop is nice and the guys there seem cool and knowledgeable enough. i havent heard any bad stories, so if it were me.. id give them a shot.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 AM   #42
Mojave Mutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Blais Racing Services, Apple Valley Ca.

Chris Blais, owner and master KTM tech. Great guy, perfectionist. My son rides for his race team.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #43
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
fuck california.

im sorry its shitty so far, but im sure it will get better. california does have some perks, and eventually you will find them.

what area are you in?

if you can, just give 3bros a call. there shop is nice and the guys there seem cool and knowledgeable enough. i havent heard any bad stories, so if it were me.. id give them a shot.
What exactly are they????

Seriously, OP and pulling a trailer in CA...yes the speed limit is 55 and that means semi's too. You didn't see them traveling at 55mph in the right lane? No?

You just happened by a dick-CHP that probly needed to fulfill his ticket quota. If he was in a bad mood he's probly one of the unhappy ones. I've been let off on a 37 over, speeding, on a bike, and he was as friendly as can be. I've been ticketed pulling a trailer as well, you have to know where they patrol for it. Same deal, going about 65 and the semi's were zooming by at 75. WTF I happened to have a patio fireplace thingy in the trailer and the chippy wanted to know what it was. Maybe he thought it was a meth cooker. LOL.

California sucks. Sure, there's some scenery, but there are too many people and most of them are unhappy. The secret is to just get away from the LA Basin.

Good luck with your KTM, hope it works out for you. The rest of us are just glad we didn't buy one of those...
J/K
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #44
VanXR
nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/

Oddometer: 368
Inside Line Moto

I know they're KTM experts but my yamaha friends and I brought 3 WR's in at the same time for different issues. They were fast, friendly and got the jobs done at a fair price. There are many closer places but I will return to ILM.

Steve
1978 TT500 (Original owner); 07 Yamaha WR450 street legal;03 XR 250 street legal (Mrs. XR)
VanXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #45
sito
Where the Hell am I?

Oddometer: 1,527
Lior's Motoride http://liorsmotoride.com/ in Corona
I have owned several bikes in the last 7 years 950 ADV, 950 Super, 690 (which I bought from Lior) KTM 530 and now the 1190R. Lior has worked on all of them for me and has done a superb job every time. Lior is very passionate about what he does and he loves working and riding these machines. I would not hesitate for a min to have him work on my toys!