Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #226
okedoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
Was it that cold Donat?
So cold that I felt the need to warm the back of my legs on the exhaust?

No ................. LOL
okedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #227
nry

Oddometer: 1,295
Today was good fun, within a kilometre of getting onto the beach I was in fouth and the bike lost power. As I went down through the gears she just died. I did crank it a bit but it wasn't going to start. As I'd had trouble previously with a wire coming off the coil I checked that but it was still attached. Hmmm opened up the carb drain incase I had some contaminant .......Poor flow ? So I pulled the fuel line off before the carb, same deal.. At the tap, same. I have an Acerbis quick fill petrol cap so I pushed it down to get air into the tank. Eureka ! flow. Pulled off my fuel vent..blocked. Put all my tools away - 5 minutes bike running and away. I was pretty happy with that

After that I ducked in behind the dunes and threaded my way through the maze of tracks, I guess thats what the youngsters call free riding ? As I turned back towards the dunes I came around the one corner (its like a tunnel of low scrub) and saw this steep but short dune, about 20m in length. Took me two goes at it and on the second go I felt something on my foot, I thought fuck I hope thats a vine...I knew it was wire though , as I got to the top and the bike stopped I had a look, yup wire, all around my rear hub (no camera either) luckily it was rusty and only about 2mm dia so spent about 15min getting it free by breaking it with some attachment on my swiss army knife...I was pretty happy with that too !

I took the boys to play on the steep bits later but Okedoke is too aware of the pleasure I get from dragging others into my silliness...I think its bonefide training.

After that no other problems, I stayed about an hour and a half after you guys left.

The boys were picking on me, said my riding gear looked like a Koala onesie.....f%#@#rs !

After I went to see Michael1968 at Rally Raid Engineering and picked up some goodies
It needs assembly and went from concept to completion pretty quick but its well thought out and is a thing of great beauty ! I can now get to work placing everything on the bike and getting the faring shaped and moulded, in about a week - so start the clock somebody and we'll see how fast we can get one done.

In the pic its resting on stuff to keep it in place, I'd love to show you the back as its shiny and totally enclosed, reason for that is so for "Rally lights" like Condo a faring would be optional and your cabling is not exposed. He's not just a pretty face is old Michael

I've been pretty busy collecting parts and working on the bike, got a few pics too so I'll start putting them up whilst getting work done.

Exercise wise I'm running and thats it. Its funny when you read about the guys who prep for the bigger rallies it seems like they all go the same way, its all about planning logistics and builds then once the bike ships they hit the gym hard for a month. I seem to be following that scenario but hey its allllllllgoooood

Bring it on !
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:34 AM   #228
Sundowner OP
Bort

Oddometer: 3,528
You guys training every weekend? Dave and I are only riding every second week, seems opposite to you guys. Great to see you're getting into the deep sand.
We've been concentrating on single track through tight trees and over rock covered sandy Mallee ground mainly. Almost broke my bloody neck last week - instant headache after trying to climb a vertical creek wall about 4 metres high - got to the top, front wheel over the ledge and stalled. All was good until I pulled the clutch in accidently/stupidly and brought the machine down with me on top. Smacked me down hard. Lesson learnt - don't make training any harder than it already is. Safari will throw challenges our way - best to not think about them until you're riding them on the real selective. I made the mistake of not remembering we'd only go where a 4 wheel competitor could go anyway. Could have been a bad outcome. Only needed a new helmet and a few days resting the neck.
Next Sunday we're heading to the Mallee area again to ride a 600 km day of sandy, high speed single track. Is an excellent run I used to practice (only partially) on for the Finke race. Haven't ridden this sort of stuff for 18 years, since I was 30. Bloody good exercise but feel it at work the next days. Getting bike fit really is the priority with our training, but we need to have a couple of big days in the saddle to simulate the hurt a full Safari day will bring.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 AM   #229
nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
You guys training every weekend? Dave and I are only riding every second week, seems opposite to you guys. Great to see you're getting into the deep sand.
We've been concentrating on single track through tight trees and over rock covered sandy Mallee ground mainly. Almost broke my bloody neck last week - instant headache after trying to climb a vertical creek wall about 4 metres high - got to the top, front wheel over the ledge and stalled. All was good until I pulled the clutch in accidently/stupidly and brought the machine down with me on top. Smacked me down hard. Lesson learnt - don't make training any harder than it already is. Safari will throw challenges our way - best to not think about them until you're riding them on the real selective. I made the mistake of not remembering we'd only go where a 4 wheel competitor could go anyway. Could have been a bad outcome. Only needed a new helmet and a few days resting the neck.
Next Sunday we're heading to the Mallee area again to ride a 600 km day of sandy, high speed single track. Is an excellent run I used to practice (only partially) on for the Finke race. Haven't ridden this sort of stuff for 18 years, since I was 30. Bloody good exercise but feel it at work the next days. Getting bike fit really is the priority with our training, but we need to have a couple of big days in the saddle to simulate the hurt a full Safari day will bring.
No only every other weekend at the moment but I want to step it up from here on in, If I aim for every weekend then I know I'll get every other one in no worries. This coming weekend I'm aiming for MX on Saturday with junior and two 80km laps of the watagans, If I don't feel that come Monday then my fitness is getting there
Yeah got to watch those injuries, put Neil G out last year when he did his knee training. I twated my shoulder about 6 weeks ago and its just coming good now, my elbows are coming good too so hopefully I'll be pain free come September !
Re the big days, I've never had a problem with them...love riding all day whether it was on the roadie all those years ago or going to the cape or the APC rally. I know non of that is the same level but I find myself focusing and enjoying every corner, bump , jump and generally just going forwards whenever its easy going or an absolute nightmare. Hopefully I'll still feel the same after Safari

I'm full of shit eh !
Old 07-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #230
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Just found this thread.
Do any of you lot know if and when you'll be passing through around Onslow - or anywhere in the Pilbara?

EDIT Just read about the Onslow bivouac being cancelled....do you have dates for the Exmouth bivouac yet?
Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #231
Sundowner OP
Bort

Yes, sadly the Pilbara section seems to be out. We'll be in Exmouth on Wednesday the 24th and Thursday the 25th. Make sure you make yourself known by dropping in for a beer and a chat.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #232
tprtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

Dave and yourself should really enter the gmcc pony express this weekend out at Rhynie, be good good practice.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:34 AM   #233
nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprtel View Post
Dave and yourself should really enter the gmcc pony express this weekend out at Rhynie, be good good practice.
With no need to stay healthy for Safari next year I'm thinking of doing the reliability series next year along with the 12hr as Ironman again and Condo.
Should keep me busy and fit

Those pair of girls won't enter
Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 AM   #234
Sundowner OP
Bort

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprtel View Post
Dave and I did actually discuss doing a Pony Express as a lead up to Safari. Let me see if it's still likely. I have a KTM that would work for it. What day is it on, as I'm working Saturday? Would have to burn some midnight oil servicing it but it's do-able. Is your flash red trailer available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
With no need to stay healthy for Safari next year I'm thinking of doing the reliability series next year along with the 12hr as Ironman again and Condo.
Should keep me busy and fit

Those pair of girls won't enter
I'll be back with the XTZ800 at Condo next year - unfinished business to sort. She won't fail me again. Plus Dave wants to kick your arse again, Pee Stop.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:05 AM   #235
nry

Quote:
Dave and I did actually discuss doing a Pony Express as a lead up to Safari. Let me see if it's still likely. I have a KTM that would work for it. What day is it on, as I'm working Saturday? Would have to burn some midnight oil servicing it but it's do-able. Is your flash red trailer available?

I'll be back with the XTZ800 at Condo next year - unfinished business to sort. She won't fail me again. Plus Dave wants to kick your arse again, Pee Stop.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #236
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
You lot seem like you might be the ones to ask.
John Hudson (the bloke responsible for creating the APC rally)
has posted the below question :

Re: Adv- x 2015
I am heading back To the W.A coast line in September to work on the advx track. Dongara to Steep point needs some work we went west at Dongara but it adds a fair bit of distance. The coast line between Dongara and Steep Point is a Quarantine area so they don't allow access. If anyone knows any locals or someone who can give me some advice it would be much appreciated. We need something that shadows the bitumen because its the most direct way and we need to get this section done quick to set up for Steep point leg.

If any of you have some suggestions you can post on the Adv-x2015 thread here -

http://www.advridermag.com.au/forum/showthread.php?531-Adv-x-2015/page18

Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #237
nry

Designed this bracket for the Rally Safe units we'll be running at Safari, the prototype turned up today.

The important points are that its 78mm wide and should fit inside the top handle bar clamps hopefully making it universal and giving a good range of movement / adjustment if it doesn't fit inbetween your achievable angles are reduced a bit.
The way the unit fixes to the bracket means if the nuts come loose they can't fall off completely.
The rear clamp pieces are the similar to those RMS use for the MD so interchangeable.
Cables don't foul anywhere.

I'll be swapping those allen head bolts for hex head, easier to tighten up.

The Rally safe unit weighs in at 750gm, 3/4 of a bag of sugar, so didn't want to be offsetting it too much..

Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #238
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,585
Done your bolt?

Whats the difference????
Old 07-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #239
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post

Whats the difference????
Easier to tight with a spanner when close to horizontal may be.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #240
nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Easier to tight with a spanner when close to horizontal may be.
Yep, that's the reason. Had a bit of a redesign this morning and will make some changes so the distance between those top clamps isn't so much of an issue.