Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #16
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Creel to Parral

Friday, July 11

What were your dreams? Memo asks, explaining that it is the traditional Tarahumara greeting.

The road from Creel climbs up into the canyons. Occasional log houses, small fields of maze tilled by horse drawn plows, women and girls in long bright skirts and shawls. Pine trees scenting the cool air.

Nearing Parral the road drops down between arid mesas.

I find the Acosta Hotel, just off the plaza.

A view of the plaza from the hotel roof.

The rain stops in time for a Friday night party. Lots of Chuauha bikers in town.

The Army

With the "Negritas"

And Pancho Villa

Who gets killed

The green line today
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,009
[QUOTE=ricard;24598056]Friday, July 11

What were your dreams? Memo asks, explaining that it is the traditional Tarahumara greeting.

QUOTE]

Very nice, thanks
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #18
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I am glad you were able to find a hotel room. Maybe because you got there on Fri.
The anniversary of the death of Pancho Villa is a big thing in Parral because that is where it happened.
A couple of years ago i came through on Sat and i could not find any rooms after stopping at 6 or 7 places so i had to keep on ridding.
Ride safe

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #19
Tagman
JCunningham Colo

Oddometer: 79
Tonight is a Large Moto rally in Parrall, follow the bikes or ask someone where. I was there last year and It is a great experience. You will see a tall gringo with a big nose named Pelicano there. Be sure and say hello for me.
Tagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Parral to Gomez Palacio

Saturday July 12th

The road to Durango

I left Parral early and rode south towards Durango on the broad read line I saw on my map. The sky threatened rain and the highway turned to a dirt construction site, then some pavement. It started to rain hard. The next highway improvement was 10km of slick mud. I dumped the bike three times in the first kilometer. Each time, a guy in the truck behind me got out to help me pick it up. For a while he was walking behind me holding the rack as we both tried to walk the bike forward. Cars and trucks began to get stuck. Everyone turned around and headed back north. I cut over to Gomez Palacio on a great narrow road through the desert.

The yellow line

ricard screwed with this post 07-13-2014 at 06:22 PM
Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #21
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Saturday July 12th

The road to Durango

I left Parral early and rode south towards Durango on the broad read line I saw on my map. The sky threatened rain and the highway turned to a dirt construction site, then some pavement. It started to rain hard. The next highway improvement was 10km of slick mud. I dumped the bike three times in the first kilometer. Each time a guy in the truck behind me got out to help me pick it up. For a while he was walking behind me holding the rack as we both tried to walk the bike forward. Cars and trucks began to get stuck. Everyone turned around and headed back north. I cut over to Gomez Palacio on a great narrow road through the desert.

The yellow line
Richard
So sorry to hear about the mud mess.
When I set my GPS for home I expected it to take me this way. I was not paying a lot of attention as I was going through Parral.......my GPS took me over to Jemmiez......by the time I realized where I was going I did not want to turn around and go back.
However you did receive the generosity of the normal Mexican.....that is one of the things I love about Mexico.....the people are willing to help a stranger......I hope that does not change with all that is happening here......when people at work ask me if I am afraid of riding solo all the time, I share experiences like this with them......as long as people like this exist here we will be able to continue to ride solo!!
Ride safe.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #22
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagman View Post
Tonight is a Large Moto rally in Parrall, follow the bikes or ask someone where. I was there last year and It is a great experience. You will see a tall gringo with a big nose named Pelicano there. Be sure and say hello for me.
There was a band playing in the plaza on Friday night and a lot of bikers hanging out. The ones I spoke to were real friendly. A few harley riders, but mostly big yamaha v-twins and a few gold wings.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #23
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gomez Palacio to Zacatecas

Sunday July 13

Autopista and lots of straight road, all paved, between Gomez Palacio and Zacatecas. Arrived before the rain started and in time to clean yesterdays mud off my boots.

Spent some time getting completely lost, as usual.

View from the "Hotel Terrace."

The green line was today

Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Aimless in Zacatecas

Old 07-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #25
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,009
Nice fotos, the portrait of the white hat guy is very well lit. How did you pull that off?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #26
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Nice fotos, the portrait of the white hat guy is very well lit. How did you pull that off?
Thanks. He was sitting next to the door of the bar in the previous photos. He spoke to me at length when I looked in. I think he was explaining that it is a very old bar. The sign in front says 1895. As I was leaving I asked to photograph him.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #27
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366

Nice post. Will be following. I have the same bike, with a lot less miles. I especially like the posting of the maps with the routes. There's a whole world of back-roads Mexico that I'm not familiar with at all, and I'm sure others will be interested in as well.

Did you need Mexican insurance? How and where did you arrange that?

How are hotel prices in Mexico? Food?

Buen Viaje!
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #28
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthg View Post

Nice post. Will be following. I have the same bike, with a lot less miles. I especially like the posting of the maps with the routes. There's a whole world of back-roads Mexico that I'm not familiar with at all, and I'm sure others will be interested in as well.

Did you need Mexican insurance? How and where did you arrange that?

How are hotel prices in Mexico? Food?

Buen Viaje!
Hi garthg

I bought insurance online through the "baja bound" website. The policy is through " Ace Seguros". I also bought "Med Jet" medical insurance. The temporary vehicle permit is also easy to do online using the links from the Baja Bound website.

Between Banamichi and Zacatecas most of the hotels, found in Sjoerd's book, were around 300 pesos. Hotel Arcos in Banamichi is a really nice hotel and was more expensive. In Creel "La Teoje de Adobe" hotel was 350 pesos including a large home made breakfast. This is a really pleasant place, simple and clean with friendly owners. I'm currently at a nice tourist hotel in Zacatecas and the price is 670 pesos. On the back roads and in small towns I was averaging around 700 pesos, or less, a day. In Zacatecas it is much more expensive. 12 to 13 pesos per USD at this time.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #29
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Santa Nino de Atocha, Plateros

Tuesday July 15

Rode an hour north of Zacatecas to the pilgramidge church of Plateros. Site of a 16th century silver mine and a miracle working statue of Santo Nino de Atocha. Here the colonnade and part of an interior courtyard are covered with paintings depicting some misfortune and asking for help. In the painting the Nino de Atocha is usually hovering nearby. Lots of food stalls and milagro sellers surround the church. Sorry for all the photos but I find the images quite extraordinary.

Then some lunch and music

Marked "church"

ricard screwed with this post 07-15-2014 at 08:34 PM
Old 07-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #30
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
great!

where else did you go?

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote