Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #1606
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
if looking at their eyes means you are NOT looking at their front tires, i'd say it is debatable.
Then debate we will. I can actually walk and crew gum at the same time. I'm looking at the person in order to anticipate if they are likely to move. I'm figuring out what they are thinking before they even do it. If you're just focused on the wheels you'll only know what's happening once the driver has acted. I'm way ahead of you because I'm watch both the driver and the car.

Your turn.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #1607
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Then debate we will. I can actually walk and crew gum at the same time. I'm looking at the person in order to anticipate if they are likely to move. I'm figuring out what they are thinking before they even do it. If you're just focused on the wheels you'll only know what's happening once the driver has acted. I'm way ahead of you because I'm watch both the driver and the car.

Your turn.

heh, there sure are a lot of mind readers here..

I'm only looking to see if the driver of other vehicle is at least looking in my general direction. If they're not, I become ultra defensive. I've seen too many drivers who only seem to be capable of looking in one direction....

If they're looking in my direction then I pay attention to other things - maybe wiggle it a wee bit, tyres, other traffic, stuff like that.

But I can't read minds. And I don't think that I can.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #1608
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
heh, there sure are a lot of mind readers here..

But I can't read minds. And I don't think that I can.
I believe being able to read drivers minds is an essential skill to staying safe. Knowing that the car in the lane in front of you is likely to change lanes before it has even entered the consciousness of the driver (because your watching the traffic queues ahead at the next lights). That the car in front of you drifting back and forth toward your lane, he's thinking of changing lanes and he's drifting as he looks in his mirrors trying to look for a hole (and you just happen to be that 'hole'), etc, etc.

Being able to read drivers minds (anticipate what they are likely to do based upon the surroundings and how they appear to be responding) is an essential skill worth developing whether you ride a bike or drive a car.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 AM   #1609
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
I believe being able to read drivers minds is an essential skill to staying safe. Knowing that the car in the lane in front of you is likely to change lanes before it has even entered the consciousness of the driver (because your watching the traffic queues ahead at the next lights). That the car in front of you drifting back and forth toward your lane, he's thinking of changing lanes and he's drifting as he looks in his mirrors trying to look for a hole (and you just happen to be that 'hole'), etc, etc.

Being able to read drivers minds (anticipate what they are likely to do based upon the surroundings and how they appear to be responding) is an essential skill worth developing whether you ride a bike or drive a car.
I believe the same thing about spelling and grammar.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:49 AM   #1610
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I believe the same thing about spelling and grammar.
And I like old dogs and children and watermelon wine.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #1611
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
I'm figuring out what they are thinking before they even do it.
good luck with that.

i try to anticipate what drivers are gonna do, too. but they are far from always predictable. i have had people look right at me, seem to wait, then pull out at the last second.

yes, i look at more than just the wheels, too.

my point, though, was that--for newbies who this thread is aimed at--eye contact should be secondary (or tertiary). if you get too wrapped up in making eye contact, you can end up staring in the driver's window waiting for them to look at you...and miss the fact that they are starting to creep out. in reality, eye contact doesn't buy you much. seeing them start creeping does.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #1612
Toddv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Some people just like to argue, but a thread with the inention of helping keep people safe isn't the place for it. Let's focus of providing people with the tools they need to do just that. It never hurts to have too many tools in this reguard but don't use a hammer where a screwdriver is needed.

Predicting what other are going to do is a great tool and over time you can get pretty darn good at it. Not only does it help you avoid being in the wrong place at the wrong time, it keeps your head in the game right where it should be. Simply watching what a particular car is physically doing gives you a pretty limited amount of information to make a prediction from.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 PM   #1613
TeSmSp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Don't follow SUVs, minivans, pickup trucks or trucks.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #1614
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeSmSp View Post
Don't follow SUVs, minivans, pickup trucks or trucks.
...too closely..

fixed.

Otherwise it's daft advice

Put another way, if you can't see the (at least) vehicle in front of the vehicle in front of you when you're under-way, you're almost certainly too close.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #1615
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Oddometer: 303
and now for something new

It took me a little more than an hour and a half of 70-80 mph freeway miles to realize my riding gear, jacket in this instance, needs to be a snug as it can be. I scored a super Mottarad (BMW) jacket from the flea market here, last year. Elbow, shoulder, and spine protection. Vents, and fits me fine.

But .... all of the straps, waist and elbows, need to be tightened down to cut through the wind. Sailing is for water or ice. hehe
Old 07-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #1616
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
So this is going to be a total n00b question, but I finally ended up in the mountains and we went up 181 (in nc), everything was fun and curves were very fun, however after leaning in one curve, as I straightened back up it felt like I lost all throttle, bike was still at speed but I couldn't go any faster, was I in too high of a gear? Or did I do something improperly?

Just wanna know so i'm better prepared for next time.:)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:19 AM   #1617
RagerToo
vroom vroom

sailorninja, I had a similar thing happen to me yesterday. Running down the interstate, 70-75 to keep up with traffic, I had the throttle cranked open all the way. I readjusted my grip at least twice and wtf? I was losing speed.

The above mentioned flapping jacket, a lot of headwind gusts, and perhaps the Bings on the bike need some new bits in them. I realized that Rte 71 S of Medina, (Oh) has a long gradual elevation change that must run for 2-3 miles.

Dual fuel petcocks on the BMW, I reached over and opened the left one. I have a filter on the right one and the tank reline is two weeks old. -shrug- Once I topped the grade, everything was fine. And stayed for the rest of the day. I guess I reached the torque peak on the bike and that was all she had.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #1618
Hazelfire
Most Awesome Noob

Oddometer: 6
I've made a habit of always assuming they'll do something stupid. If I see a car pull up to a stop sign ahead, I assume they'll pull out straight in front of me. They usually don't. But I've already avoided three or four accidents with that kind of thinking, and I've only been riding a year and a half.
Hazelfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #1619
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelfire View Post
I've made a habit of always assuming they'll do something stupid. If I see a car pull up to a stop sign ahead, I assume they'll pull out straight in front of me. They usually don't. But I've already avoided three or four accidents with that kind of thinking, and I've only been riding a year and a half.
Yeah. I had someone leaving work yesterday, looked at traffic, me and some cars and pulled out into traffic anyway. I own things that go BAM BAM! but I am hesitant to get tooo excited about A-holes.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #1620
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
So this is going to be a total n00b question, but I finally ended up in the mountains and we went up 181 (in nc), everything was fun and curves were very fun, however after leaning in one curve, as I straightened back up it felt like I lost all throttle, bike was still at speed but I couldn't go any faster, was I in too high of a gear? Or did I do something improperly?
Is it possible you weren't asking for much throttle when leaned over, so it was only when you stood it up and cranked the throttle you notice the effect of being in too high a gear for the acceleration you wanted? Any guesses what RPM you were at? If you were in 6th, going uphill, at 30mph, you could pin the throttle on most bikes and only get subtle acceleration.

Otherwise, possible that it was a fuel starvation issue. Maybe a sticky carb. But bets on just needed to click down a gear or three.