3. Media (Television/Radio)
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy person
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

Forbes cited a guy named Eric Barker, with a link: http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2012/11/pr...t-psychopaths/

I have no idea how scientific the study is. I have a master's in statistics, so I'd like to look at the methodology and the raw numbers. That being said, I would have though civil servant — or, politicians — would have been number one.
Fair enough. Thanks for posting the reference and your potential at least for academic criticism of the research.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
LEO here. O boy here we go.....

First of all "cops" is a very general term referring to a group of people that come from every walk of life, have every variable life experience including every socioeconomic, educational, racial, gender, religious and otherwise divide you could imagine.
I guess to be safe we should just stick with pigs...
ts3doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,608
Thanks for posting your source.

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #19
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3doug View Post
I guess to be safe we should just stick with pigs...
MMMMMM BACON!!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
From Forbes magazine:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. Media (Television/Radio)
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy person
9. Chef
10. Civil servant
I would have expected Chef and Clergy to be much higher.

Alcohol Cuz no great story ever started with a salad!!
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
Xaque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Being honest, polite, remorseful, old, having your shit together and being generally *not* a scumbag, can really grease the wheels.

I see it this way, the two reasons to stop someone for a traffic violation are:

1) Enforce safety laws and rules and reduce danger to other motorists
2) Fish for better and bigger stuff

So, if a person seems remorseful and appreciative of why their behavior was unacceptable, and they are generally a good person, they get a warning. I'd rather them pull away feeling *bad* about their behavior and want to correct it on their own, than pull away *angry* at receiving a ticket.

So to answer the OP's question. An old dude with full gear on a quiet motorcycle who was polite and cooperative... and wasn't doing anything more than just humping along at a good clip on the highway... that's a recipe for a warning if I've ever heard one.
Xaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #22
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
Being honest, polite, remorseful, old, having your shit together and being generally *not* a scumbag, can really grease the wheels.

I see it this way, the two reasons to stop someone for a traffic violation are:

1) Enforce safety laws and rules and reduce danger to other motorists
2) Fish for better and bigger stuff

So, if a person seems remorseful and appreciative of why their behavior was unacceptable, and they are generally a good person, they get a warning. I'd rather them pull away feeling *bad* about their behavior and want to correct it on their own, than pull away *angry* at receiving a ticket.

So to answer the OP's question. An old dude with full gear on a quiet motorcycle who was polite and cooperative... and wasn't doing anything more than just humping along at a good clip on the highway... that's a recipe for a warning if I've ever heard one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #23
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Thanantos, thanks for your responses. I didn't mean for this thread to become a dissertation re: personality disorders or anything even close to that. I'd just like some feedback from some actual LEO's who work in the real world. God Damn it!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #24
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Thanantos, thanks for your responses. I didn't mean for this thread to become a dissertation re: personality disorders or anything even close to that. I'd just like some feedback from some actual LEO's who work in the real world. God Damn it!
Lol, no worries. I've been on this board a long time. I don't frequently out myself as LEO, but I recognized your post as sincere and genuinely seeking a real response from LEO rather than just the typical "All LEO's suck because I got a ticket for doing something illegal" posts that are so frequent on the net and especially here.

I provided my response knowing full well what that would mean and what the typical internet response would be.

In the end I'm happy to answer the question of one decent, sincere person and in response deal with the ire of the keyboard cowboys.

2013 V-Strom
Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Fair enough. Thanks for posting the reference and your potential at least for academic criticism of the research.
First thing you learn in your first statistics class: "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. — Mark Twain."

The second thing you learn in your first statistics class: anything can be proven and/or disproven with statistics.

Edit: I have also seen the Mark Twain quote attributed to Benjamin Disreali, so I honestly don't know who said it. My first stat profession said it was Mark Twain.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #26
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Enough BS about Stats.!! I've a Masters degree in them and I am frankly tired of hearing about them....no dis-respect to anyone meant. Again, I wanna hear from actual LEOs who work in the real world. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:08 AM   #27
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,527
Quote:
Enough BS about Stats.!! I've a Masters degree in them and I am frankly tired of hearing about them....no dis-respect to anyone meant. Again, I wanna hear from actual LEOs who work in the real world. Thanks everyone.
Okay, no more Stats talk from me.

I thought this is an interesting article —

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/42...l#.U8ZbVrEyamQ

It does have some statistics in there, but it talks about all the variables that go into a traffic stop, from the police side of things. I learned a couple things from it.

Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected expected?
Mr_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 AM   #28
Pugslyyy
Robinson Fuso

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Well, one other thing I can tell you about him is that he's been known, when he knows he's been busted, to pull over and wait for the cop to pull in behind him. He usually says something like "I knew you had me, just wanted to save you the trouble of chasin' me down". But the "bucket list"....not that I'm aware of.
The last time I got pulled over for speeding I saw the deputy turning around (he was going to the opposite direction) and I just pulled over and waited for him.

He asked why I had pulled over and I told him I saw him turn and figured he probably wanted to talk to me. He gave me a hard look, checked my license/registration/insurance, and sent me on my way with a warning.

Showing a bit of respect can go a long way.

I also have LEO friends who never write speeding tickets because they don't want to have to go to traffic court (they work drug interdiction, so as long as you don't have drugs when they stop you it's all good).
Pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #29
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mr. Gone.....yes, that was an interesting article. Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 AM   #30
Ernest T
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Ernest, no offense, but what do you base your comments on? Just askin', again no offense intended.

I'd still really like to hear from LEOs.

From my experience. I've probably been stopped once a year the past ten years for exceeding the speed limit a little (less than 15 over). I've gotten one ticket out of those stops and that guy didn't even speak to me except for holding out his hand and saying "License and insurance please" The stop didn't last ten minutes start to end. All the rest started with something like "Where you going in such a hurry this morning?" Obviously the one guy had decided to give me the ticket before he got out of the car and the others hadn't made up their mind yet.

Now, as to why I don't get a ticket the great majority of the time? I guess that's up to conjecture, but I've got grey hair, ride a touring bike most of the time, I'm geared up and all my documentation is in order--registration, inspection, DL etc. My DL also says I'm a Veteran so that probably helps. Then this, I'm always respectful to the officer, look at his name tag and call him by his rank and name. Hell, I know I was breaking the law and that at that point the only thing between me and a ticket is goodwill.

For the one ticket, I went to court and asked to speak to the district attorney. He put me on deferred adjudication and probation for 90 days. No new ticket for 90 days and the original goes away. The cost was almost exactly the same as paying the ticket.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote