User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Tom Threetoes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Where do you watch the Indy GP ?

This will be our fifth trip to Indy and we've never stayed for race day. We always head home Sunday and watch the race on tv because I can't seem to find the best viewing spot. What is your favorite place to watch the GP?
Tom Threetoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 556
We are always a fan of H-Stand...you get a good view of everyone through the complex all the way from the back straight onto the front straight. For the stands its one of the better priced ones as well.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,531
I walk the track a bunch from FRI to SUN and just pick a neat spot. It's different every year, but I like the backstraight sections the best so far. Bot entering the back straight and then the section of turns leaving it.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I like the top deck above T1. I am usually sitting there for the races and walk the track for the rest of it.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,445
raceday I'm always in the NW vista, can see almost half the track, and a jumbotron to see the rest, plus bathrooms and food just underneath.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
hpz937
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I have gone twice and have been lucky enough to get paddock passes, amazing view from atop the paddock. some pictures from last year https://secure.flickr.com/photos/hpz...7635166671123/
hpz937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantah View Post
i like the top deck above t1. I am usually sitting there for the races and walk the track for the rest of it.
+1
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #8
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpz937 View Post
I have gone twice and have been lucky enough to get paddock passes, amazing view from atop the paddock. some pictures from last year https://secure.flickr.com/photos/hpz...7635166671123/
These are the VIP Village seats I believe, the stands on top of the pits or "gasoline alley" as it's known at Indy aren't they? I've considered getting the VIP Village tickets, they are high dollar but could be worth it, I find I don't need or want as much "stuff" and am willing to pay for experiences, if they are worth it? Right now I'm leaning more towards a reserved seat in the NW vista and a paddock pass. Turns 3-4 SW vista would be my second choice right now.

I'd really like to ask some questions of someone who has been in the VIP Village to find out the details first hand.

I sat in Turn 1 Penthouse B last year for the Motogp race, wandered everywhere on Friday and Saturday. The view was good but I want to try someplace else. H or NW vista look good to me, that is where the action will be towards the end of the race, the final 2 corners are more of a chicane (turns 15-16) and it should produce some last ditch passing moves i think maybe even more than last year. The yellow highlighted turns are the reworked corners for this year.

Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
hpz937
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
These are the VIP Village seats I believe, the stands on top of the pits or "gasoline alley" as it's known at Indy aren't they? I've considered getting the VIP Village tickets, they are high dollar but could be worth it, I find I don't need or want as much "stuff" and am willing to pay for experiences, if they are worth it? Right now I'm leaning more towards a reserved seat in the NW vista and a paddock pass. Turns 3-4 SW vista would be my second choice right now.
to be honest I'm not sure, I work in the industry so I didn't buy them, I had multiple passes to get basically anywhere, but I preferred that area. and yes I meant the seats right above gasoline alley.
hpz937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
Indy sells a 3-day paddock pass for $250, for which you also need to buy a reserved seat ticket (cheapest -- $72) You're also going to have to get friday and saturday admission and parking.

I paid like $380 total this year for the PP, tickets and parking. These are prices that expired on 7/15 so I don't know what they cost now. The VIP Village package is $1050 for three days and $800 for Sunday. Granted, you don't get to lounge about in A/C comfort, but I figure for 400-600 bucks I can struggle through. There was also a Honda package that had a lot of the VV perks except that the climate controlled facility was on turn 9, not over the paddock for around $600.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
IThere was also a Honda package that had a lot of the VV perks except that the climate controlled facility was on turn 9, not over the paddock for around $600.
http://secure.brickyard.com/Promotio...tion=HONDA14GP

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Indy sells a 3-day paddock pass for $250, for which you also need to buy a reserved seat ticket (cheapest -- $72) You're also going to have to get friday and saturday admission and parking.

I paid like $380 total this year for the PP, tickets and parking. These are prices that expired on 7/15 so I don't know what they cost now. The VIP Village package is $1050 for three days and $800 for Sunday. Granted, you don't get to lounge about in A/C comfort, but I figure for 400-600 bucks I can struggle through. There was also a Honda package that had a lot of the VV perks except that the climate controlled facility was on turn 9, not over the paddock for around $600.
THanks for the info guys, been doing a lot of research myself and the only prices that went up on the 15th were the extra's like track lap and parking which neither are of interest to me. I will be camping in lot 2 most likley, it's the "festive" lot, lot 3 is listed as "calm" lot. There are other perks hinted at with the VIP ticket but I am afraid if they aren't explicit it's just a paddock pass and pit lane walk, I know it comes with the paddock pass but yea, unless someone who's been there and done that can clue me in why it is worth it I'll be going with the resevered seat and the paddock pass. ....Just can't decide SW vista (last turns) vs. NW vista (first turns)
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Tom Threetoes OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I checked on tickets in B section I think it's the top row, row Z. I prefer shaded which these are, I think. If I read it correctly they're $72 not too expensive. We usually just roam around Friday and Saturday.
Tom Threetoes is offline   Reply With Quote