ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Tom Threetoes OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
Where do you watch the Indy GP ?

This will be our fifth trip to Indy and we've never stayed for race day. We always head home Sunday and watch the race on tv because I can't seem to find the best viewing spot. What is your favorite place to watch the GP?
Tom Threetoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
godwinmt
They call me Crash
 
godwinmt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Seymour, IN
Oddometer: 556
We are always a fan of H-Stand...you get a good view of everyone through the complex all the way from the back straight onto the front straight. For the stands its one of the better priced ones as well.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced
 
Mr. Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Brevard, NC
Oddometer: 3,531
I walk the track a bunch from FRI to SUN and just pick a neat spot. It's different every year, but I like the backstraight sections the best so far. Bot entering the back straight and then the section of turns leaving it.
__________________
It's about this big.


http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,080
I like the top deck above T1. I am usually sitting there for the races and walk the track for the rest of it.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
bikerfish
flyfishandride
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: western pa
Oddometer: 1,445
raceday I'm always in the NW vista, can see almost half the track, and a jumbotron to see the rest, plus bathrooms and food just underneath.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #6
hpz937
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: MN
Oddometer: 12
I have gone twice and have been lucky enough to get paddock passes, amazing view from atop the paddock. some pictures from last year https://secure.flickr.com/photos/hpz...7635166671123/
hpz937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
JBird
Retriever
 
JBird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Upstate, SC
Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantah View Post
i like the top deck above t1. I am usually sitting there for the races and walk the track for the rest of it.
+1
__________________
JBird
KTM 1190R
KTM 950SMR
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #8
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer
 
sTE610vE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpz937 View Post
I have gone twice and have been lucky enough to get paddock passes, amazing view from atop the paddock. some pictures from last year https://secure.flickr.com/photos/hpz...7635166671123/
These are the VIP Village seats I believe, the stands on top of the pits or "gasoline alley" as it's known at Indy aren't they? I've considered getting the VIP Village tickets, they are high dollar but could be worth it, I find I don't need or want as much "stuff" and am willing to pay for experiences, if they are worth it? Right now I'm leaning more towards a reserved seat in the NW vista and a paddock pass. Turns 3-4 SW vista would be my second choice right now.

I'd really like to ask some questions of someone who has been in the VIP Village to find out the details first hand.


I sat in Turn 1 Penthouse B last year for the Motogp race, wandered everywhere on Friday and Saturday. The view was good but I want to try someplace else. H or NW vista look good to me, that is where the action will be towards the end of the race, the final 2 corners are more of a chicane (turns 15-16) and it should produce some last ditch passing moves i think maybe even more than last year. The yellow highlighted turns are the reworked corners for this year.

__________________
TRAIL STAND (advrider thread)- Dual Sport Portable Jack Stand www.endurostar.com
Husqvarna TE630
Husqvarna TE610E (for sale)
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
hpz937
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: MN
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
These are the VIP Village seats I believe, the stands on top of the pits or "gasoline alley" as it's known at Indy aren't they? I've considered getting the VIP Village tickets, they are high dollar but could be worth it, I find I don't need or want as much "stuff" and am willing to pay for experiences, if they are worth it? Right now I'm leaning more towards a reserved seat in the NW vista and a paddock pass. Turns 3-4 SW vista would be my second choice right now.
to be honest I'm not sure, I work in the industry so I didn't buy them, I had multiple passes to get basically anywhere, but I preferred that area. and yes I meant the seats right above gasoline alley.
hpz937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome
 
yooperbikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: The blue groove
Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
These are the VIP Village seats I believe, the stands on top of the pits or "gasoline alley" as it's known at Indy aren't they? I've considered getting the VIP Village tickets, they are high dollar but could be worth it, I find I don't need or want as much "stuff" and am willing to pay for experiences, if they are worth it? Right now I'm leaning more towards a reserved seat in the NW vista and a paddock pass. Turns 3-4 SW vista would be my second choice right now.
Indy sells a 3-day paddock pass for $250, for which you also need to buy a reserved seat ticket (cheapest -- $72) You're also going to have to get friday and saturday admission and parking.

I paid like $380 total this year for the PP, tickets and parking. These are prices that expired on 7/15 so I don't know what they cost now. The VIP Village package is $1050 for three days and $800 for Sunday. Granted, you don't get to lounge about in A/C comfort, but I figure for 400-600 bucks I can struggle through. There was also a Honda package that had a lot of the VV perks except that the climate controlled facility was on turn 9, not over the paddock for around $600.
__________________
"...people in the stands want to see good, close racing. The thing is to put on a show, and that’s what’s going to draw people in..." -- Scotty Parker



yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome
 
yooperbikemike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: The blue groove
Oddometer: 12,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
IThere was also a Honda package that had a lot of the VV perks except that the climate controlled facility was on turn 9, not over the paddock for around $600.
http://secure.brickyard.com/Promotio...tion=HONDA14GP
__________________
"...people in the stands want to see good, close racing. The thing is to put on a show, and that’s what’s going to draw people in..." -- Scotty Parker



yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer
 
sTE610vE's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Indy sells a 3-day paddock pass for $250, for which you also need to buy a reserved seat ticket (cheapest -- $72) You're also going to have to get friday and saturday admission and parking.

I paid like $380 total this year for the PP, tickets and parking. These are prices that expired on 7/15 so I don't know what they cost now. The VIP Village package is $1050 for three days and $800 for Sunday. Granted, you don't get to lounge about in A/C comfort, but I figure for 400-600 bucks I can struggle through. There was also a Honda package that had a lot of the VV perks except that the climate controlled facility was on turn 9, not over the paddock for around $600.
THanks for the info guys, been doing a lot of research myself and the only prices that went up on the 15th were the extra's like track lap and parking which neither are of interest to me. I will be camping in lot 2 most likley, it's the "festive" lot, lot 3 is listed as "calm" lot. There are other perks hinted at with the VIP ticket but I am afraid if they aren't explicit it's just a paddock pass and pit lane walk, I know it comes with the paddock pass but yea, unless someone who's been there and done that can clue me in why it is worth it I'll be going with the resevered seat and the paddock pass. ....Just can't decide SW vista (last turns) vs. NW vista (first turns)
__________________
TRAIL STAND (advrider thread)- Dual Sport Portable Jack Stand www.endurostar.com
Husqvarna TE630
Husqvarna TE610E (for sale)
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
Tom Threetoes OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 36
I checked on tickets in B section I think it's the top row, row Z. I prefer shaded which these are, I think. If I read it correctly they're $72 not too expensive. We usually just roam around Friday and Saturday.
Tom Threetoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014