User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #76
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 260
Final day 6

We had traveled 384 miles today from Baie-Comeau to Labrador City. Most of that was in the rain. Not what I had planned but then again, the adventure changes when it comes to life.

I forgot to add a few photos from around Manic 5.

I filled up the bike and then moved the bike out of the way. Went in to pay for the gas and my card was again frozen. I got the sat phone out and called my bank to get this fixed. I always have enough cash on me to get gas if this happens. The lady said that the multiple small purchases are what is triggering the fraud alerts. Even though this is a “gas bar” it came across as a motel charge for less than $40. That raises all kinds of red flags.

She suggested I use the card as a debit and get cash from ATM’s and use that. Whatever…

A couple more photos from the Manic 5 area:

I think this next photo was the visitor center and where you could get the tour. We were so early in the season (and it was raining) that there wasn’t a soul around.

Back to Duley Lake Family Park and day 7!

2up to Labrador - Another father/son adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=984421
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #77
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

June 14, 2014

Day 7

I lay in my sleeping bag most of the night wondering what on earth anyone would need a generator to run for that long for in the middle of the night.

I finally put my ear plugs in around 2am so I could get a little sleep.

When I woke up at 5am it was raining again. Great way to start your day.

I let Dylan sleep while I got up and looked around a bit during daylight hours to see who had the generator running.

A quick photo of our tent and where it was set up.

The generator was in the blue shed with the exhaust down in the lower right corner. You can see the proximity to the tent.

Right by the picnic table on the ground it looks like someone had “lost their marbles”. Maybe it was the group with the generator.

I wandered around a bit (in the rain) and took a few more photos of the campground. Right in front of the red pickup truck are all the outhouses. Paul said he had removed them the day before and was going to replace them this weekend. Hence, no toilets and no water either.

May have been planning a giant bonfire!

Quite the little playground, eh?

Another shot of the office area. and the pile-o-outhouses. There were a LOT of RV’s here. This was not a small operation. The price was right with nothing more than a patch of ground to pitch a tent.

We used the same routine that worked the previous morning in Baie-Comeau with Dylan packing the bags and pads so they stayed dry. The tent would be so cramped and I’m not very nimble anymore so I can’t do it without getting cramped.

We didn’t take long to pack. Headed to Tim Horton’s in Labrador City for breakfast and some fuel for the bike.

Notice the orange flag on that pickup truck. We didn’t have one…I wonder if that could be an issue.

Then it was time to head toward Happy Valley-Goose Bay!

Again the terrain is changing.

Another selfie. Digital film is cheap.

Thank goodness these are kilometers and not miles!

Pretty nice road surface, eh? You can see for a long way again!

This area had most definitely been paved very recently. If you’re wanting to ride the TLH while it’s still got some gravel on it you better hurry!

Still some very beautiful lakes and very secluded areas.

The rain will just not quit! Next up we hit gravel…again.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #78
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 7 continued

I was hoping to stop and see Churchill Falls.

We drove by the river but I didn’t see any turnout or a sign for the falls. Yes, it was raining and I wasn’t focused too much on that. We proceeded toward Churchill Falls (the city) for fuel and a break.

Me no likey grated bridges.

We pulled into Churchill Falls and snapped a few photos. Remember this is a “company” town so most of the buildings all look alike.

In the gas bar, I asked a conservation warden who was in there how to get to the falls. He said “What’s left of them is back up the road by the bridge.” Crap, I’m not driving back there in the rain.

Off in the distance you can see all the power lines.

A close up.

I know it may not seem like we were too fired up to ride the Trans Labrador Highway but we were. It was exciting to finally start it, even though it was raining. When we hit the gravel section it didn’t intimidate us it was more like “oh, well, here we go again”.

Not only was it raining but it was cold, too. We kept our helmets on when we stopped just to keep the heat in.

Hmmm, maybe it will break up soon. The sky looks like it might!

There wasn’t a lot of gravel today but I was really tired. A couple of long days and very little sleep last night with that generator running all night.

As you can see in the videos it’s pretty desolate. That’s what we like. The rain is letting up a bit.

Only 234 more kilometers to Happy Valley-Goose Bay!!! You can see the rain still coming down once in awhile in front of the lens. Then my head movement gets the drop of rain off the lens and more shows up!

More raindrops on the lens. Couldn’t help it. It seemed that when we hit gravel it rained. Asphalt, it stopped.

Here’s the asphalt and it’s dry!

I’ve seen clear cuts but this is a bit of an extreme. That giant “lawnmower” got loose and went up over this mountain!

My guess, I’ve put my engineering hat on now, is that Hydro Quebec was going to be running some new power lines. In the US this would have met a great deal of opposition. I don’t know if that happens in Canada or not. I do know that some of the mining operations DID meet some opposition in Labrador City.

Only 85km!!!

Dyl is having fun!

Some beautiful rivers. Be the fishing would be great!

More recent scars from fire.

That "lawnmower" crossed the road and got loose on this side now.

Not paying attention again, I almost miss the HV-GB sign!

Now I'm seeing all the signs and getting photos of them no matter what they are!

Yup, you guessed it. The hospital. This one is open!

A remnant of days gone by. A US plane.

After last nights sleeplessness and the fact we are starting to um, smell a bit ripe, I thought after 7 days of camping and the last two or three in the rain that it was time for a hotel/motel. We stopped at the Royal Inn and Suites and got the last room they had. It only had one queen bed but Dylan and I were used to sleeping in a smaller space in our tent anyway!

We unpacked the bike and started the drying process of the tent and any gear that was wet. I started the laundry while Dylan took a shower. Once our showers and laundry were done we went into town. That's when we stopped at that gift shop 5 minutes before it closed. We felt like eating pizza so we went to Pizza Delight. Not bad.

We fueled the bike up and headed back to the hotel. Wi-Fi worked well so I could get some email off. I also copied all of our photos onto a micro SD card that I had in a Microsoft Surface Pro 2.

While I did all that Dylan crashed. We were both pretty tired. All the electronics were getting recharged, so why not us, too! We needed the respite of camping. It was nice not having to unpack and then pack up our sleeping gear and pads. We also had all the clothes we had packed clean!

Dylan is already in bed and out like a light

The days total mileage was 348 long, wet and cold miles.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #79
wtmklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Trust me, rain is better than dust on those roads!
"I Survived the TLH"

Ride Report
wtmklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #80
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 8

We woke to a morning without rain. That in itself helps put you in the mood to do the happy dance!

We were up earlier than the breakfast that was provided started so we got ourselves and the bike all prepped. That didn’t take long since we didn’t need to pack a tent or our sleeping bags. We had that process down to a science. If it wasn’t raining we could be dressed, packed and loaded in less than 45 minutes. That’s to “kick stand up”.

The Royal Inn & Suites was very clean, friendly and had a great place to eat breakfast. The breakfast was your typical continental but was filling and gave us the needed fuel for a long day.

The office/breakfast nook.

A friend of mine and also my wife’s uncle had been stationed at Happy Valley-Goose Bay. It was such a nice morning we couldn’t pass up riding through the base and getting some recent photos.

On the way to the airbase. Yup, another pic of the hospital!

Radio Canada! The CBC.

Remember…I was taking sign pictures now!

Getting on the base was pretty easy. Too, easy?

This base had been used as a landing site for the space shuttle as well as a few of the diverted airliners from 9/11 when airspace in the US was closed.

Pretty large area!

The Water Bomber.

What a ham!

The Height Finder Antenna

Didn’t know what this one was.

Looking head on at the Voodoo Aircraft

Lookin purty in front of Air Labrador. All washed off from all the rain we’ve been having. After the Dalton Highway she had a quarter inch of calcium chloride caked all over her that had to get pressure washed off. Don’t know if it ever all came off!

After the Dalton:

Our first look at the Trans Lab from HV-GB. This was going to be ALL gravel from here until Red Bay. This is the most treacherous and desolate (my opinion) of the TLH. The road is fairly new and is continuously being maintained.

Does it look like it’s raining to you? Yeah, me too. It was, raining that is…

This is also known as the Labrador Coastal Drive.

Let’s see; red clay, rain, poor tires, and a grated bridge. Doesn’t give a person a whole lot of good vibes, does it?

Story of my life right now. Water on the lens of the camera and my GPS says that we aren’t near a road. Not that it matters. There’s only one…road that is.

It was so nice when we left the hotel and HV-GB that Dylan had not put his rain pants on. We stopped when it was pretty apparent that it wasn’t going to just be a sprinkle.

Hmmm, looks like it’s breaking up a bit!

There’s a whole lot of nothing in front of us. Nice…. It’s peaceful, gives you a chance to contemplate life and just sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.

The ultimate optimists! Sunglasses in the rain!

At some point the rain quit and we were then subjected to the dust.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #81
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Keep it coming. Dylan's my new hero. I couldn't contemplate being a passenger on that trip - his perseverance and fortitude are admirable. When he's old enough he will have amassed enough experience for his own bike (after a suitable training course, of course).

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #82
1MUDDY1
Got a Hose?

Oddometer: 18
People of Labrador city

Weren't the people of Labrador city fantastic after having to deal w/ the A.H. of Quebec. n Quebec the only time they had time for a conversation is when it came time to take your money. Enter Labrador city and everyone comes running up to your bike like they are your best friend. We had more people try and help us out in the first 1/2 hour of entering Labrador then the whole trip up to that point. And the one pic in front of the Red Lake, we stopped there in the rain and brewed up some coffee having the same thoughts and discussions as you have posted here. Again from your trip to Ak, sometimes us tree hungers have to endure a few splinters. Im in!
1MUDDY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #83
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,263
Avro Vulcan..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #84
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUDDY1 View Post
Weren't the people of Labrador city fantastic after having to deal w/ the A.H. of Quebec. n Quebec the only time they had time for a conversation is when it came time to take your money.
Your ignorance of the nature and culture of Quebec is astounding. Many people don't speak any English or have the most rudimentary grasp of the language. Opening a conversation with the assumption that the other person will understand you when travelling in a foreign country is a sure way to encounter indifference or hostility. Canada is not the US and Quebec most definitely isn't.

Learn the simple French phrase: "Je suis désolé. Je ne parle pas le francais" and try again. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the result. It's simple courtesy.

Nick
Old 07-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #85
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MUDDY1 View Post
Weren't the people of Labrador city fantastic after having to deal w/ the A.H. of Quebec. n Quebec the only time they had time for a conversation is when it came time to take your money. Enter Labrador city and everyone comes running up to your bike like they are your best friend. We had more people try and help us out in the first 1/2 hour of entering Labrador then the whole trip up to that point.
Wow. Where does your anger come from? Have you been raped in Quebec or something? With that spirit of yours, I think that travelling and opening up might not be your forte, my friend. BTW How is your French speaking?
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current + 2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current
MassiveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #86
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Keep it coming. Dylan's my new hero. I couldn't contemplate being a passenger on that trip - his perseverance and fortitude are admirable. When he's old enough he will have amassed enough experience for his own bike (after a suitable training course, of course).

Nick
Thanks! I showed Dylan your message tonight before he went to bed. Could hardly get his head through the door!

He's had people stop him around town and say "Hey, aren't you the kid who went to..." Kind of hard to miss him with all that red hair and freckles!

Thanks again!!!

Todd (and Dylan)

Old 07-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #87
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-zulu View Post
Thanks! The base has a long history of not only military history but also search and rescue. I hope they keep it as an active base or at the very least keep the artifacts and the history there. Many countries have been a part of it over the years.

Very interesting!!!!

Todd

Old 07-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #88
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Learn the simple French phrase: "Je suis désolé. Je ne parle pas le francais"
Nick
Thanks, Nick. I know the second sentence, but didn't know the first. It'll come in handy.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #89
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Thanks, Nick. I know the second sentence, but didn't know the first. It'll come in handy.
That is the full extent of my French............sorry to say. Don't do what I did on one trip and get mixed up. I greeted a few confused looking people with:
"Je suis Desiree. Je ne parle pas le francais."

http://www.adamsheritage.info/mountains_gandalf.htm

Nick
Old 07-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #90
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
In hindsight, I wish I had learned both!

I will next time!

Todd