ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #46
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I've always heard from both speeders and LEOs that there's an attitude test: be polite, maybe you don't get a ticket; be an asshat, you're probably getting a ticket. Everything else is a variable you can't control.

Well, except for not speeding. And that's just crazy!!!
I just want to bounce off of your comment to clarify something.

If some guy is a jerk to me on a stop he is more likely to get a ticket, but it's not because I don't like him or because he is disrespecting me. Believe me, I've probably been called worse names by better people.

The reason he is more likely to get a ticket goes back to my theory on changing people's behavior. If he is being a dick to me over a simple traffic stop then the odds of just the stop itself altering his behavior is pretty low.
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #47
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.
 
scfrank's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYO George View Post
Speaking as former LEO (left a month ago for a more relaxing job) my agency (rural Wyoming county) rarely gives tickets unless it's a repeat offense or safety thing. I've let folks off with verbal warnings for 20-30 mph over the limit. The way I see it is I slowed them down for a bit, made sure they have insurance, the vehicle isn't stolen, etc. and then gave them food for thought for a while. The money from the citation just goes to the state school board who wastes it on stupid stuff (..long, rambling soap box that I'll leave off...) so why should I care to collect money for them?
Longmire? I love that show. I hope most sheriff offices aren't that busy.
__________________
"Have you guessed the riddle yet?" the Hatter said.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #48
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYO George View Post
Speaking as former LEO (left a month ago for a more relaxing job) my agency (rural Wyoming county) rarely gives tickets unless it's a repeat offense or safety thing. I've let folks off with verbal warnings for 20-30 mph over the limit. The way I see it is I slowed them down for a bit, made sure they have insurance, the vehicle isn't stolen, etc. and then gave them food for thought for a while. The money from the citation just goes to the state school board who wastes it on stupid stuff (..long, rambling soap box that I'll leave off...) so why should I care to collect money for them?
Another common theme that I hear a lot, but I am surprised to hear from former LEO.....revenue.

I have 0 idea where the money from tickets go except I do know that a small portion (really small) comes back to my agency to pay for more equipment (lasers, radar, etc.)

I have never had anyone encourage me to writing tickets for revenue....ever. Never even been mentioned. In fact, my department encourages traffic stops only. Whether you write a ticket or give a warning has no bearing whatsoever.

I also have never heard this complaint from any other LEO I know that works for another agency, and if a cop I knew was being told to write tickets to generate revenue I would definitely hear about it. That sort of shit cuts to the heart of the integrity of any LEO and there would be complaints from LEO's. Big ones.
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #49
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WYO George's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Rolling Hills,WY
Oddometer: 402
I'm either missing your point or you missed mine, it's probably me! I'm just saying that revenue is not part of the equation and I only say it because so many people like to refer to LEO's as "revenue collectors". I only mention the receiver of the funds to point out that I would have 0 benefit from writing a citation.
__________________
My lame, but photo intense day trips around Wyoming can be found here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960272
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #50
Thanantos
Ride hard.
 
Thanantos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Michigan
Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYO George View Post
I'm either missing your point or you missed mine, it's probably me! I'm just saying that revenue is not part of the equation and I only say it because so many people like to refer to LEO's as "revenue collectors". I only mention the receiver of the funds to point out that I would have 0 benefit from writing a citation.
No worries, it's probably me.

I was just bouncing off your comment to also debunk the myth of the "revenue collector". Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I guess the only reason I mentioned that I was surprised that you mentioned it is because this topic has never once been mentioned in my LEO circles. It only ever comes up with non-cops.

Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: Just to clarify I see that we had the same goal. I just wasn't clear about that I was backing up what you were saying.
__________________
1999 DR350SE

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #51
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WYO George's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Rolling Hills,WY
Oddometer: 402
No worries, I'm medicated now so my brain is working a little slow! I'll probably read my posts tomorrow and go "what the hell does that mean?"

Stay safe
__________________
My lame, but photo intense day trips around Wyoming can be found here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960272
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #52
craigincali
Just hanging around
 
craigincali's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: A town called Hell
Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Situation: I have a good friend (Iron Butt Rider) who gets pulled over for speeding with regularity, yet seldom gets a ticket. He's 73 yo, (His IB number is in the low 70s if that tells you anything) Last time he was stopped, no ticket, he was clocked at 88 in a 55. The last time he actually got a ticket, he was stopped 3 times in the same state (AZ) the last cop to stop him checked and saw that he'd been stopped two other times that day....and wrote him the ticket.

I've asked him how the hell he talks his way out of tickets and he becomes rather vague. But what I know about him is:

1. He's always ATGATT.
2. He rides one of two or three well maintained BMWs.
3. He has gray hair and never cops an attitude.
4. He has his DL, insurance papers, concealed carry permit etc. all handy and ready to be handed over to the officer. Seldom carries a gun, but says that the CC permit puts the officer at ease.
5. He's never "hot dogging" nor riding unsafely.......just speeding.

My question for LEOs is: What's your take on this situation and what would incline/disincline you to ticket this guy?
He doesn't get a ticket because of the 1-5 items mentioned and because he is an older gentleman.
__________________
Me
I am usually drunk when I post so dont take it personally !
2010 KTM 990
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #53
Oilhed
MarkF
 
Oilhed's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Connecticut
Oddometer: 3,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
A very interesting thread. The last time I was stopped was in my truck doing 72 in a 55 zone. The officer came up and told me that and asked if there was a reason. I looked him in the eye and told him, "I wasn't paying attention to my speed and as soon as I saw your lights I knew. I can't claim innocence." He took my license back to the cruiser for a few minutes, then returned and told me the speeding fine would be $189 (if I remember correctly) and three points on the license. Then he told me he was not writing me up for speeding, but rather for "Failure to obey a traffic device", which he told me was the speed limit sign. The fine was $109 and no points. The reason he told me I was getting a break was because I didn't give him a "bullshit reason why it's okay" to be going that fast. I figure that it didn't hurt that I hadn't been stopped for anything in the past 10 years or do.

From the LEO responses here, it looks like I did the best thing. I've always figured they have no idea when the stop a vehicle if the driver is a psycho or not, and acting like an asshat does nothing to set them at ease.

Retired LEO here. I always use the wasn't paying attention and sorry route. The side of the road is no time to argue your actual speed, why the speed limit is ridiculous or that the cops are out to get you. I think older guy not dressed like a squid or a pirate on a cool bike will get you a pass most of the time. Face it most adult men wish they were you in 20-30 years.


Mark F.
__________________
MarkF

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #54
PrkChps
Non-Pirate HD Guy
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: New England - Underrated MC Paradise
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Lol, no worries. I've been on this board a long time. I don't frequently out myself as LEO, but I recognized your post as sincere and genuinely seeking a real response from LEO rather than just the typical "All LEO's suck because I got a ticket for doing something illegal" posts that are so frequent on the net and especially here.

I provided my response knowing full well what that would mean and what the typical internet response would be.

In the end I'm happy to answer the question of one decent, sincere person and in response deal with the ire of the keyboard cowboys.

Thanks for that. Like you, I rarely out myself, because of the high number of typical, keyboard commando answers.

My response: The attitude of the operator is the number one determining factor in any decision to issue a citation or warning. The second factor is the nature and seriousness of the violation, as well as the presence of all necessary documentation and insurance. Just speeding? On an open highway? All safety gear and insurance in place? Good attitude? You will be on your way soon.

In short, be nice and have your sh*t together, and you very possibly will get a warning. Always worked with me.
__________________
The only cars that see you are the ones trying to hit you.
PrkChps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #55
henshao
Bained
 
henshao's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: The Commonwealth
Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Another common theme that I hear a lot, but I am surprised to hear from former LEO.....revenue.

I have 0 idea where the money from tickets go except I do know that a small portion (really small) comes back to my agency to pay for more equipment (lasers, radar, etc.)

I have never had anyone encourage me to writing tickets for revenue....ever. Never even been mentioned. In fact, my department encourages traffic stops only. Whether you write a ticket or give a warning has no bearing whatsoever.

I also have never heard this complaint from any other LEO I know that works for another agency, and if a cop I knew was being told to write tickets to generate revenue I would definitely hear about it. That sort of shit cuts to the heart of the integrity of any LEO and there would be complaints from LEO's. Big ones.
Please get in touch with some VA state policemen and see what you can find out. They are practically ticket writing robots, most other policemen I talk to don't even like them.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #56
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton, CO
Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by FongMan View Post

But the old fart probley does the Obie Wan Kanobie, " These aren't the
droids you're looking for" trick. You don't get old with out learning a trick or 2.
+1, This has always worked for me, even better now that I'm older than all the cops.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #57
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kojack06's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Temple, TX
Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3doug View Post
I guess to be safe we should just stick with pigs...
Hope your local police department chooses to depolice your residence(but they won't because the majority of officers took an oath and really believe in doing what is right) . Call a liberal pot or crackhead next time you need help. Oh forgot, you can call the crackhead a "pig " also. Maybe that will get you even more assistance...

Have a politically correct day..

kojack06 screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 11:36 PM
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #58
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
Retired LEO here. I always use the wasn't paying attention and sorry route. The side of the road is no time to argue your actual speed, why the speed limit is ridiculous or that the cops are out to get you. I think older guy not dressed like a squid or a pirate on a cool bike will get you a pass most of the time. Face it most adult men wish they were you in 20-30 years.


Mark F.


Yup......

Everybody I ever worked with in Traffic had their "violations" they liked to target. For some, I think it was for "ease" of work. Improper turns for example.....a former co-worker would find a large busy intersection, and spend the 1st two hours of her shift writing improper turn tickets (ie...turning from the right lane into the left lane, and vice versa)...I always thought that was chickenshit, as most of the time the improper turn didn't affect other traffic. I could see it in the case of a collision or near collision but otherwise? How about a verbal warning??

I personally went after speed violations. As I worked the day shift, I was able to concentrate on school zones. 10 over in a school zone was a ticket....No excuses.....it was the ONLY violation for which I gave no breaks. Speeding in a residential neighborhood (especially after school on on weekends when kids were out) was another. 11 over was normally a ticket.

Out in the rural areas of the city or on the highway? Unless it was something drastic (like more than 15 over other traffic speed) I would most often flash the headlights and wag my finger.....and even stopping folks at 15 over wasn't a guaranteed ticket. It all depended upon attitude, and if there were any other (more serious) violations present.
CSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #59
Yroc
Adventurer
 
Yroc's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 67
This got me thinking of a ticket I got when I was in High School and just driving a truck. I was doing 35 or 36 in a residential area that was 25, it was a wide road with a turning lane in the middle. 25 always felt slow. About 5 years later they raised the limit to 35. Shouldn't I get a refund?
__________________
2007 YZ250
2007 525EXC
Yroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #60
catweasel67
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,104
Question to the LEOs..

Did you ever think, or do you, that your inconsistent approach to ticketing contributes to the negative impressions that a lot of folks have about your vocation?



As for me, I've been stopped a few times in the UK and a few times in Europe but the last ticket I got was when I was following two South Dakota plated cars, in SD - matching their speed. I was aware that I was over the speed limit but it wasn't, imo, dangerously excessive - I was doing 78 in a 65.

The copper showed me an LED speed readout and said that it represented my speed. There was no photo or proof of any sort that it was my vehicle. He then explained that I could return in about 3 weeks to appeal or pay cash on the spot. I chose cash - at which point he escorted me to a local ATM so I could get $125. TBH it felt a bit like I was being taken hostage - pay the ransom or ruin my vacation.

This was back in 2010.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014