ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Faceman214 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Real NorCal Dual Sport Riders (North of Sac)

Wanted to start a new thread for everyone dual sport north of Sacramento. Recently moved up to Redding CA and looking for riders to meet. Love riding as much as I can! Cheers!
Faceman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
decooney
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 177
Good idea. NorCal for me is just North of Sac too.

Other than GCDSR and SNA, I'm not aware of any any other ADV/DS dirt rider groups around here. I'm done with 450s and the same OHV parks, looking more for 650/690 dirt riders setting up 50/50 street-dirt and backroad day rides. And you?
decooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Faceman214 OP
Adventurer

I have a 2002 KLR 650 set up for street and dirt. Just wanted to find some riders up here and start off on some fireroads and head up from there. Ive ridden street more than dirt so I have some things to learn.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Hey face man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman214 View Post
Wanted to start a new thread for everyone dual sport north of Sacramento. Recently moved up to Redding CA and looking for riders to meet. Love riding as much as I can! Cheers!
I am jumping right in.
New to Redding, I live in Red Bluff, and ride.
Lots of people ride. But seems everyone rides different styles.
Jobs and Family or what ever.
What do you ride ? I ride a 650 BMW Dakar and split my dirt to street Ratio at about 60/40 with more street miles. I would rather that number be more dirt/gravel but That is hard to achieve when I never tow my bike to go riding.

There is a Chico area riders Thread on here that may be interesting for you. I mainly only watch that but at times will pay attention to the " west coast" specific forum.

the chico Thread also has some experienced people that do some event type rides as well as just planning out routes on there own.

I tend to ride East and West as well as North out of Red Bluff and ride the Trinities Siskiyou's Medocino Burney Shasta and all other areas within 150 miles the way the crow flies of Red Bluff. That puts me out in the back woods , or the High desert also the coast.

So Faceman what do you ride.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:10 AM   #5
Faceman214 OP
Adventurer

I have a 2002 KLR650 Let me know any time you want to ride hop!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

When can you ride

The weather is cooling a bit. I just returned from a tough weekend on the Trials bikes. I need a little dual sport ride soon. Maybe need to heal a bit first. Keep me in mind, I don't always make it over to other threads other than the Chico one I have marked as a favorite.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
Sdadventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Im up in Chester and have a GS1200 that i mostly ride on road but im in for gravel and logging type roads.
Sdadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Faceman214 OP
Adventurer

I will be busy this weekend but free thursday/friday if you guys are interested in meeting for a ride. I don't know much of anything around here yet I just know there is a ton to chose from!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,419
I'm in mount shasta and ride a ktm 990. Super busy until I get back from the alcan 5000 in mid Sept, but that's about when it starts getting cool enough to ride down there anyway.

Subscribed.

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
Faceman214 OP
Adventurer

Can anyone reccomend some 4X4/Fire roads I could start on that are easy and cool views? Dont want to do anything crazy without someone else to ride with
Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

redding

Quote:
Can anyone reccomend some 4X4/Fire roads I could start on that are easy and cool views? Dont want to do anything crazy without someone else to ride with
Hey catch the slab up past the lake. and take Gilman rd around the lake and come out on 299 on Fenders ferry. That is a must do for any Redding motorcyclist. Gilman is 20 miles or so of tight twisty asphalt. followed by 30 miles of good dirt. and then back on 299.
I might be making a loop ride Friday up to Tom Head and then back on 36.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
Faceman214 OP
Adventurer

I will be free friday if you do go. I am totally in Hop
Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Friday is Wiskeytown

Quote:
I will be free friday if you do go. I am totally in Hop
Got an outing planned with the family to the lake Friday. We will ride soon.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
NDKRomany
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Eureka rides

Hey all, im working in Eureka and have my Tenere with me equipped with 50/50 tires and electric air pump. If anyone wants to do some big bike rides hit me up. I have a lot of dirt bike experience and enjoy doing some real 50/50 dual sport rides with reason of course. Im also up for some nice all paved rides.
I plan to check out the gilman rd ride this Saturday or sunday. 7/19 and 20
NDKRomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #15
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,419
If you're in Eureka and heading inland, here's some fun options:

Run up to Orick and take Bald Hills road to Hwy 96.
Hwy 96 to the Salmon River.

SAlmon river road to Forks of the salmon, then take the south fork to Cecilville, and on out to Callahan. Or jump on the North Fork and take the shorter run to Sawyers Bar and Etna.

At Callahan you're on Hwy 3. Turn North to bail out to I-5 Via Etna, Fort Jones, and Yreka, or make a loop back to hwy 96 via the Scott River Road out of Fort Jones (narrow and twisty, limited sightlines).

Or, Turn right (South) (ish). You'll very shortly have two choices, HWY 3 south over Scott Mountain and then through Trinity Center into Weaverville, where you can pick up Hwy 299 in either direction, or you can stay on Gazelle-Callahan road into Gazelle, which will let you out near I-5 North of Weed.

Any of these options leave you with more great riding choices. Dirt options multiply these significantly. Hwy 3 south from Weaverville to hwy 36 (via a short jaunt on 299) is of course a great addition to a ride like this, and once you hit 36 you have more great options-back to the coast or back out to Red Bluff (too hot for me this time of year, but some like it).

If you've never been up the Salmon River, the south fork is spectacular but narrow and twisty. The North Fork is to my taste slightly less spectacular but still narrow and twisty. There's no center line and sight lines are limited. No guardrails either. Often you need to watch for vans racing to pick up their rafters downstream on this ride but this year there seem to be fewer of these as the flows are way down from the usual.

The riding up here is spectacular and varied, and can be hot this time of year. There's just too much to even begin to scratch the surface in a finve-minute post made while watching the clock at 5:00 on Friday....

SA
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is online now   Reply With Quote