Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #76
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,160
Brief morning update: Wednesday, July 16.

Well, this marks the one-week "anniversary" of my trip. Hope things go well today.

Oops! Forgot the pic of dinner last night...needless to say, I ate too much!

This was right up there with "DWalt" (see my "Civil War" RR)...

Morning at "oldgezzer's" place is simply amazing!

I still feel like I've died and gone to heaven...check out the mist rising from the lake:

This has gotta be God's country...

Our campfire from last night felt pretty good this "chilly" morning...sorry for the overexposed shot.

That fire still feels pretty good.

Yay! More breakfast eaters...

Here's pic of Ann doing her thing for breakfast...

I know this is gonna be good...

And good it was...BTW, that's HOMEMADE maple syrup in the background. Once again, I feel like I'd died and gone to...well, you know. That whole "died" analogy is prolly not the best one to use for a motorcycle rider...

Man, is this a breakfast or what?

Attitude adjustment time...

OK, fellas (and any ladies who might be following), I DO feel a heckuva lot better after a good night's sleep...and that incredible breakfast. Inmate "oldgezzer" and his esposa are (as usual) beyond belief as hosts. I am SOOOO lucky. Or blessed. Whatever.

Dunno where the day will lead me (I guess that's a good thing), but I think I'll not be staying with any inmates tonight...too far to go. And I expect to arrive in Vermont on Saturday (or Sunday), rather than Friday when my reservation begins. No big deal.

Adios,

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 AM   #77
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Yeah, the '06 Uly was a GREAT bike...IMHO of course. Thanks for tips re the Adirondacks. Must admit they seem a long ways off (well, they are), but I'll be there eventually, if fate smiles on me

--Doc
Hey Dr Greg. Enjoying following this adventure. After messing with lots of bikes I've settled on a 2008 Buell Ulysses. I can definitely see what kept you on that bike for what? 50,000 miles.

I'm enjoying the simplicity, the great engineering and totally surprised how smooth the bike is at road speeds. And no chain! Remember reading about your being annoyed with chains, oil and tightening.

However.....that BMW looks tempting.

Anyway, we head back to Australia next few weeks. Keep us in mind next year for a stop over. Deb loves making cooked breakfasts for visitors.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #78
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Hey, I remember you!

Mike G, right? We had that great ADV breakfast in Lincoln, NE. Yep, I loved my Uly(s). In total, I put 55,000 miles on Uly #1 (till deer strike) and 35,000 on Uly #2. Enjoyed almost every mile.

Good to hear from you. Enjoy Oz.

--Doc

P.S. That breakfast offer might tempt me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Hey Dr Greg. Enjoying following this adventure. After messing with lots of bikes I've settled on a 2008 Buell Ulysses. I can definitely see what kept you on that bike for what? 50,000 miles.

I'm enjoying the simplicity, the great engineering and totally surprised how smooth the bike is at road speeds. And no chain! Remember reading about your being annoyed with chains, oil and tightening.

However.....that BMW looks tempting.

Anyway, we head back to Australia next few weeks. Keep us in mind next year for a stop over. Deb loves making cooked breakfasts for visitors.
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #79
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Mike G, right? We had that great ADV breakfast in Lincoln, NE.
Yes, they are an excellent group

My neighbor also rebuilds old American and English bikes. Current project is an old Vincent. Had a mono shock long before Yamaha invented it. We will go over and "tinker"
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #80
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Wednesday, July 16: Amesville, Ohio --> Chambersburg, Pennsylvania.

Pretty lame day of riding today, but after dawdling thru Missouri, Kentucky, and Ohio, I had to cover some ground...

Leaving Amesville, Ohio (oldgezzer)

You folks have to see oldgezzer's place to believe it. What a paradise! Or at least that's how it looks to me. Anyway, Mrs. oldgezzer (Ann) wished me a good day, and I was off down the treacherous narrow gravel driveway...

Even Wotan doesn't wanna leave...

I followed OH 690 back the way I had come in, and had the opportunity to photograph the beautiful area that I had missed earlier (a car was on my tail). See how pretty?

These eastern deciduous forests are TOO MUCH.

No twisties today...

As I mentioned at the top, I needed to cover some miles today, so it was US 50 into Parkersburg, WV and as far as Clarksburg, WV. However, before entering WV, I stopped a rest area somewhere in SE Ohio...

A pretty flowerbed gave me an excuse for another "Wotan" pic...

And over the Ohio River yet again...and welcome to West "By God" Virginia...

I had planned to follow the Ohio River Valley...I was sure doin' it.

Barely got the camera operational in time to snap yet another pic of the Ohio River. You folks have to excuse me; as I've said in previous RR's, coming from arid regions (SoCal and New Mexico) the sight of almost any kind of running water is just magical for me...

Running water! We don't have much of that where I come from...

Welcome to Maryland!

I really know only three things about Maryland...

1. That's where Travis Pastrana is from (what's he doin' these days?)
2. All of Maryland I've seen has been very pretty (like Missouri, Kentucky, and Ohio...)
3. I forgot the third thing...

So I stopped at this "visitor center" in Maryland, and I'll be darned if I can pronounce the name of the place. Whaddya think?

"Yogi" something, I guess...

And there was a pretty overlook:

However ya pronounce it, it was a nice view...

That "polar vortex" is sure nice, but BRRRRR!

I am reveling in the weather conditions, no doubt about it. Especially compared to the 95 F/70% humidity I experienced in eastern Oklahoma and Missouri. However, when I crested a pass in Maryland (elevation something like 2,500 feet) it was downright CHILLY. See?

When you're movin' this temp can be chilly...

So at the next break I zipped up all the vents in my jacket & pants. That did help. Of course shortly after that we descended and it got warmer. Isn't that the way it always works? Something about the perversity of inanimate objects...BTW, ignore that "SERVICE" indicator...I do my own service, and the GS911 S/W hasn't yet appeared (or has it?) for the GSW so I can't reset the service indicator. The ability to again perform my own maintenance is one of the reasons I love that bike.

Couldn't resist taking another pic of the Maryland hills. Another beautiful day. Gotta end eventually.

Sure is different than New Mexico...

A "scenic overlook"...

So there was this sign to a "scenic overlook" and I debated for a split second. "SCREECH...!!" I hit the brakes and pulled off. I've missed enough things on this trip that I didn't want miss yet ANOTHER one. This was the shack at the overlook site:

There was also a campground and other stuff; guess this is the info shack.

Getting to the overlook required a physical effort: this probably reduced the visitation by arbout 95%.

Why don't they build a moving sidewalk out to it? 440 feet is a long way...sigh.

IMHO the path out there was picturesque...

A nice little 440-foot stroll...

And the good Doc was rewarded with a pretty nice view!

Very nice. I'm glad I stopped!

Finally, near the end of the day I noticed the strata in this "roadcut"...

Kind of cool strata in this cut...

Mrs. Greg's father was a geology professor at Penn State, and later Stanford (world-famous, BTW; a member of the National Academy of Sciences, which is no small feat) and I'll bet he would've had something to say about those strata. There's a sad story about the end of his career, but now is not the time...

End of the day...

Before I left that morning, "oldgezzer" and I were looking at routes, and I mentioned I had a host in Chambersburg, PA. "Too far" said Mike, and I dropped the idea. But at one of my rest stops I realized that by taking the "direct" routing, I could get to C'burg PA by about 1730 hours. So I called my ol' buddy SoPaRider and we made contact. So I ended up spending the night in Chambersburg with Jeff & Karen. Stayed with them back during my 2012 Civil War trip; they're great people.

Turns out another "Mike" is also staying here; he's a local on an overnight trip on a 650 Burgman.

The only BUMMER is that the host that I most wanted to stay with, "PA RIDER" in Forksville, PA, is apparently unreachable. I'd like to stay with him Thursday night, but can't seem to make contact. If you're out there, PA RIDER, please give me a call. I'll try again in the morning, and during the day.

If all else fails, I could camp, since there are a concentration of "state forests" in that area. We'll see.

Again, thanks for following. Looks like I'll be arriving in Vermont a day later (Saturday) than I had hoped. But that should be okay.

See you down the road,

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:01 AM   #81
oldgezzer
Country Rider

Oddometer: 28
Thanks!

Dr.Greg,
Sure do appreciate the kind words! Sweetness is blushing.... Glad you had an enjoyable visit. Welcome anytime...(Anne to, if she is ever up this way ) Hope to see you on your return trip.

Was the driveway really that "treacherous"? Was it the deer, the spider webs, or "not being able to see the house at the end of the tunnel"?

Ride safe
oldgezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #82
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Your driveway, [i]etc.[/i]

Nah, your drive was no problem. It's only that---especially on a big bike---you always wonder when you go diving off on some fairly narrow (and your driveway IS fairly narrow---exactly what there is at the end. But I was confident. The driveway of my host in Joplin, MO was somewhat similar, if a bit shorter. I had to call him first to see if I was correct in my driveway choice

Will definitely catch you folks on the return trip; your hospitality was too good to ever pass up. Thanks very much again.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgezzer View Post
Dr.Greg,
Sure do appreciate the kind words! Sweetness is blushing.... Glad you had an enjoyable visit. Welcome anytime...(Anne to, if she is ever up this way ) Hope to see you on your return trip.

Was the driveway really that "treacherous"? Was it the deer, the spider webs, or "not being able to see the house at the end of the tunnel"?

Ride safe
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #83
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Mid-day update...

Whew! Made contact with PA RIDER so I'm Forksville-bound...excellent.

Took PA 147 up the E bank of the Susquehanna River: 2-lanes, low traffic (uh, for the east, that is )

Stopped for lunch at a Mickey D's in Milton, PA...one of the little towns along 147. Kind of a slice of Americana.

The highlight (for me) was the excellent oldies soundtrack there. I played keyboard in a garage band in the mid-late 60s but am a fan of the 50s as well.

Best cut: "Sixteen Reasons" by Connie Stevens...one of my all-time favorites. Right up there with "I Love How You Love Me" by the Paris Sisters.

Life is good again...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #84
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,532
Laugh

Quote:
Whew! Made contact with PA RIDER so I'm Forksville-bound...excellent.

Took PA 147 up the E bank of the Susquehanna River: 2-lanes, low traffic (uh, for the east, that is )

Stopped for lunch at a Mickey D's in Milton, PA...one of the little towns along 147. Kind of a slice of Americana.

The highlight (for me) was the excellent oldies soundtrack there. I played keyboard in a garage band in the mid-late 60s but am a fan of the 50s as well.

Best cut: "Sixteen Reasons" by Connie Stevens...one of my all-time favorites. Right up there with "I Love How You Love Me" by the Paris Sisters.

Life is good again...

--Doc
What, no "Angel Baby" by Rosie and the Originals, or, "A thousand Stars" by Cathy Young? Also, are you sure you weren't really a Professor of Geography or maybe American Culture?
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #85
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Dr Greg,

Nice meeting you in Chambersburg Wed night. Karen and Jeff were very gracious hosts!

Guess where I was just a few hours before you?

Looks like you've have a lot of great weather for your ride. Very lucky, considering some of the storms that have come through here the past few weeks. Hope your "weather luck" continues.

Found about a dozen more historical markers just west of Chambersburg on my way out, then continued on the Lincoln Highway (Old Rt 30) all the way to the Flight 93 Memorial. This was my third visit to that site, and it is still very moving. Then, I cut down SW diagonally into West Virginia. Nice day's ride.

Hope our paths cross again.

The other Mike

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 06:16 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #86
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Music...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
What, no "Angel Baby" by Rosie and the Originals, or, "A thousand Stars" by Cathy Young? Also, are you sure you weren't really a Professor of Geography or maybe American Culture?
Hey, you've been snoopin' around my website, or sumthin'...

Yes, "Angle Baby" is wonderful, as is "A Thousand Stars" by Kathy Young (with a K, BTW). You may be confused with Everly Brothers "Cathy's Clown."

I will have comment about a couple songs in my RR update, which I will be posting shortly. Thanks for your insightful insights.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #87
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Howdy "other Mike"...

Yes J & K are good people. Clearly we have a few similar tastes in interesting geology. Yes, weather has been spectacular; prolly get my comeuppance on the ride home. IIRC you offered to show me around WV...maybe next year.

Later,

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Dr Greg,

Nice meeting you in Chambersburg Wed night. Karen and Jeff were very gracious hosts!

Guess where I was just a few hours before you?

... cool pictures ...

Looks like you've have a lot of great weather for your ride. Very lucky, considering some of the storms that have come through here the past few weeks. Hope your "weather luck" continues.

Found about a dozen more historical markers just west of Chambersburg on my way out, then continued on the Lincoln Highway (Old Rt 30) all the way to the Flight 93 Memorial. This was my third visit to that site, and it is still very moving. Then, I cut down SW diagonally into West Virginia. Nice day's ride.

Hope our paths cross again.

The other Mike

2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #88
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Thursday, July 17: Chambersburg, Pennsylvania --> Forksville, Pennsylvania.

Sorry to throw 'er into reverse gear, but let's rewind to Wednesday night at the SoPaRider (and SoPaGuider) house. Gotta get a dinner pic. That's my hosts Jeff (L) and Karen (R)---at least the lower half of their faces. Considering we were eating dinner, I guess the "mouth" part of the face was the important part. And I got that.

Good food and good company...

Leaving Chambersburg, PA...

Thursday morning couldn't possibly begin without a pic of my host Jeff rustling up my fine breakfast in the kitchen.

Jeff just about ready to serve Doc's breakfast...

He did a darn good job, but I forgot to take a foto of the actual breakfast. Try not to make that mistake again. Although Jeff does a lot of DS riding (I wouldn't want to try to keep up with him) he seems to have at least minimal interest in Wotan...

"Hmm, what happens if I push THIS button?"

The first half-mile leaving Jeff & Karen's house was so pretty I had to take another pic. Sorry I forgot about the impatient car behind me...

Green! Pennsylvania is so GREEN!

Hey, another RIVER comin' up...get the camera set! Oops, almost missed it...

I believe this is the Susquehanna River.

Following the E bank of the Susquehanna River...

Shortly after leaving the Harrisburg area I took route PA 147 along the E bank of the Susquehanna River. It was 2-lane, and carried a relatively low (for the east) traffic volume. And---surprise!---it was pretty darned GREEN.

Following PA hwy 147 on the E bank of the Susquehanna River.

The small towns along PA 147 were charming, at least to my "dry" New Mexico palate. One had this cool old-fashioned bandstand. And I had to make a U-turn to got back and get this photo. Just to let you know the lengths to which I'll go for ADVrider.com. Nothing is too much for you folks.

They're not makin' any more of these old-timey bandstands (or whatever they're called.)

At a fuel stop (trucker place) a good ol' boy trucker named "Jeff" strolled over (not to be confused with Jeff my host in Chambersburg) and we started discussing BMW GS's, Triumphs, and riding in general. He assured me that I would have a lovely ride today. Shoulda got a pic of Jeff but I forgot (just like the previous guy...recall the "Red" story). BTW, Jeff was really knowledgeable: for example, he knew the GSW water-cooling was mainly for the cylinder heads. I REALLY enjoy chatting about bikes with people that know their stuff, as I (not tryin' to be immodest) think I do...

In my "mid-day update" I mentioned my lunch stop in Milton, PA, and the great oldies soundtrack. Anyone else share my taste in music? Didn't think so...

PA route from Williamsport to Forksville.

Shortly before Williamsport, PA (I think that's the location of the Little League World Series---didja tell about my 3rd son Keith's time as a Little League pitcher and his 65 mph fastball?) I turned NE on PA 87, which began pretty...

Ain't north-central Pennsylvania pretty?

...and got even prettier:

Man, the country I'm traversing just gets better!

Y'know, Mrs. Greg has been telling me for 40 years how beautiful Pennsylvania is (she grew up in State College, PA), but every time (OK, I've only been thru PA twice) I've come thru PA it's been RAINING. Not so this time. Not by a long shot. And Mrs. Greg (Annie, BTW) was RIGHT.

At inmate PA RIDER's place near Forksville, PA...

From the description of this place: 45 acres on a remote Pennsylvania hilltop...I REALLY wanted to stop here. And I wasn't disappointed.

This is a foto of the road into PA RIDER's place...even prettier!! I gotta get outta the New Mexico desert and move here...well, there IS January and February. And that big storm a couple weeks ago that tore things up. On second thought...well, getting back to the road, here 'tis:

Howdja like to live at the end of THIS road?

And I swear...I've died and GONE TO HEAVEN yet again. Check out the view from PA RIDER's balcony? I could look at this for hours (and I just about did...)

What a view!! And even a gazebo to keep the bugs at bay (there weren't any).

A few of PA RIDER (John) kids were visiting briefly...riders all.

More riders in the family...

Dinner, etc.

Naturally we gotta have some dinner pics. Check out the view from the dining table?

BTW, that's John's lovely wife Heather in the pic. What a great dinner she made!

How could I eat?...I was starin' out the window the whole time. Ok, ok, not the whole time; the food was too good. Starting with the salad...

The salad was GOOD...

Then the entree (lasagna)...Heather said the "layering" wasn't proper but my stomach couldn't tell the difference...

The entree was BETTER...(as usual, ate some before I remembered the pic...)

The the dessert (peach cobbler)...I've died and gone to...wait, you've heard this before. Sorry.

The dessert was THE BEST!!

That's it---I'm stuffed. I'll return home 20 lb heavier (I actually lost 15 lbs during my abdominal illness, but I'd rather not gain it ALL back...)

Finally, I'm gonna throw in three more pictures of John's house to make you all jealous that YOU don't live here. Makes me jealous, too. No, not jealous, just happy that SOMEONE gets to live in such a beautiful place.

Again, this place is just, well, it's just gorgeous.

Conclusion and plans for the morrow...

Once again, I'm at a loss for words regarding the hospitality of people like John and Heather. I'm so truly grateful to them for putting up a heathen like me. I was kinda down this morning, but every time that happens, something GOOD happens to turn me around. Kind of a law of karma or something.

The only BUMMER is that John's WiFi network is down, and AT&T doesn't see fit to support this area, so I have no connectivity. I'm writing this RR Thursday night, but I can't post it till probably lunch Friday. So you'll just have to wait.

Wotan's runnin' great, the weather is still unbelievably good (high temp today was maybe 75 F), and my spirit is once again on track.

Not sure about tomorrow. There are two inmates I could stay with in Oneonta and Cooperstown and longtime friend Colin in East Meredity (NY). But after all the "human interaction" I might just stay by myself. Yeah, I'll be by myself for a whole week (well, six day, since I'll get to Vermont a day late), so I suppose I should try to stay with someone.

That's it for tonight.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #89
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Friday morning update: Forksville, Pennsylvania.

Friday morning dawned a little cloudy (or so I thought), but turned into yet ANOTHER gorgeous morning. Lit bit of fog in the valleys to give us some diversity:

Is that the valley of the Withywindle out there?

Unfortunately, Heather spied a forest rat; I felt obligated to snap a pic. They are THICK around here. "O Lord, protect Dr. Greg from the forest rats..."

Nice forest rat; just stay off the road.

As you know---if you've followed this RR---I'm getting used to breakfast cooked to order. Heather didn't disappoint, although she didn't center the egg yolk (funny story about that for later...)

Mmmm, good. Dr. Greg is pampered yet again.

Finally, I'd given Heather some dirty clothes to wash (she suggested it, bless her heart). She pointed to a pile of folded clothes...FOLDED! When I DO finally get to my resort in Vermont, I'm gonna have to take care of myself. Thanks gonna be TOUGH...

She even FOLDED my clothes...

Dunno where I'm gonna stop tonight; the "hosting" possibilities are not really as far as I'd like to go, so I might...well, I might stay somewhere else.

I absolutely cannot believe my wonderful luck with the weather, the hospitality I've been shown, and all the great stuff I have (e.g. Wotan).

Maybe I've said this before, but we are SO BLESSED (or lucky, or whatever) to have such a beautiful country AND the freedom to travel within it.

See ya down the road...

--Doc

Friday mid-day update (since I couldn't post any of the previous content till now)

Just a few notes...

1. I am ticked off at the Depts. of Transportation in their approach to historical markers. In particular, here in NY, there is NO WARNING for a historical marker---there is NO WAY you could ever stop in time (cuz here in the east there's always someone on yer tail...). Humph.

2. It occured to me one reason I like "Sixteen Reasons" by Connie Stevens and "I Love How You Love Me" by the Paris Sisters: Both of those songs are in the key of B-flat. You may recall that I have perfect (I can tell a note/chord/key by hearing it). Ah yes, good ol' B-flat...you can read about the Paris Sisters Here. Sherrel, Albeth, and Priscilla Paris...I love 'em all. OK, ok, enough.

3. Traveling alone people talk to you. When I stopped for a break somewhere in NY, I noticed a rather elderly gentleman (sitting in the passenger seat) of an SUV at a gas pump...he was eyeing me closely. Rather than take offense, I waved and strolled over to chat. "Hey young feller, I used to ride a Henderson..." And the conversation was on. What a cool old guy! I love those chance encounters.

All right, I'm done. Prolly not gonna get to my lodge in Vermont tonight (spent too much time at lunch working on this crummy RR). I could make it, but I hate riding too late in the day (and the latter part of the ride would be in the mountains). Dadgum FOREST RATS, of course. I'm absolutely paranoid.

OK fellers, almost there. Then I'm gonna take a day off the bike. Ridden approximately 2,500 miles so far. Oh yeah, the BMW R1200GSW turned over 20,000 miles this morning, but I missed it. Oh, well...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #90
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Brief Friday evening update...

Dr. Greg is in Killington, Vermont!

That was my destination, and I've made it. Kind of a long ride, and not the best strategic planning, given the traffic from NYC up to upstate NY on a Friday afternoon. Nevertheless, I made it.

Lovely place in Killington, VT...don't even wanna use my Bose headphones cuz I'd rather hear the beautiful stream out back.

Lotsa pics tomorrow. I'm gonna relax tonight---really the next two days---and then head out and get to the bottom of the Grace Brown murder case (the American Tragedy). Stay tuned...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)