Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #31
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
great!

where else did you go?
I went back to Zacatecas and watched the clouds pass so low it seemed like I could touch them.

I went to a delicious diner with RW66.

And that was enough for Tuesday.
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #32
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 976
Nice one mate. Im enjoying your Ride report particularrily because I jump the pond form La Paz to Mazatlan tomorrow afternoon. Heading straight to Durango, then on to Zacateces for the next night. So your RR is like a very current preview for me. How long you in the area? I am headed to Tapacula for a couple of months.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #33
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Saturday July 12th

The road to Durango
Great RR Ricard! I liked the last one too! This map is missing a lot of detail including the continuation of HW 23 north from Tehepuanes to south of Canutillo, which is an great curvy paved road and easily he best way to get from Parral to DGO. Save that one for the way back!

There is an epic route west over the Sierra from Fresnillo to Ruiz Nayarit. RW66 will give you all the info you need about it. Feel free to give me a shout if you pass through Durango. I will be here the until Friday and then gone most of next week.

Nice photos of the Santo Nino de Atocha (Plateros). It's a very interesting place and probably the second most important religious destination in Mexico after the Basilica de la Virgin de Guadalupe in DF. The mining Museum in Fresnillo is also a worthwhile visit.

Saludos
SR

SR screwed with this post 07-16-2014 at 09:12 AM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #34
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post
Nice one mate. Im enjoying your Ride report particularrily because I jump the pond form La Paz to Mazatlan tomorrow afternoon. Heading straight to Durango, then on to Zacateces for the next night. So your RR is like a very current preview for me. How long you in the area? I am headed to Tapacula for a couple of months.
Hey Eddywoodgo,
It's almost time for me to leave Zacatecas and head north. Tomorrow, Thursday, I'll ride to Real de Catorce. I considered heading to Durango and on to Mazatlan. However, there is a big Triathlon event in Mazatlan this weekend and it sounds like it is going to be crazy crowded.
Enjoy,
-ricard
Old 07-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #35
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Great RR Ricard! I liked the last one too! This map is missing a lot of detail including the continuation of HW 23 north from Tehejuanes to south of Canutillo, which is an great curvy paved road and easily he best way to get from Parral to DGO. Save that one for the way back!

There is an epic route west over the Sierra from Fresnillo to Ruiz Nayarit. RW66 will give you all the info you need about it. Feel free to give me a shout if you pass through Durango. I will be here the until Friday and then gone most of next week.

Nice photos of the Santo Nino de Atocha (Plateros). It's a very interesting place and probably the second most important religious destination in Mexico after the Basilica de la Virgin de Guadalupe in DF. The mining Museum in Fresnillo is also a worthwhile visit.

Saludos
SR
SR,

I wish I'd known about Hwy 23. I have the Auto Club, Guia Roja and Garmin maps and none of them agree. Unfortunately I will miss Durango this trip. I enjoyed it immensely last year and my detour to Gomez Palacio for the night was nothing special.

See you on the road,
ricard
Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #36
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post

Eddywoodgo
Give me a shout when you are in the area. If you are here on a Fri or Sat maybe we could ride together or meet for tacos somewhere.
Ride safe

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #37
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Hey Eddywoodgo,
It's almost time for me to leave Zacatecas and head north. Tomorrow, Thursday, I'll ride to Real de Catorce. I considered heading to Durango and on to Mazatlan. However, there is a big Triathlon event in Mazatlan this weekend and it sounds like it is going to be crazy crowded.
Enjoy,
-ricard
Baja ferries inform me today that there is no ferry to Mazatlan until the 27th of July.
So I am shipping out to Topolobampo to tomorrow. Have a great trip mate. I always enjoy crossing paths with a fellow ADV'er.
Have a great trip.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Aimless in Zacatecas 2

Wednesday July 16

Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #39
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Awesome photos.
If you could while your at the Hostel, could you tell Felipe, Andy and Cheryl(on the KTM 950) said hi.
Thanks for bringing your story to share with us.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #40
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Excellent RR. Thanks for posting the pix and commentary. I rode through that area long ago. Now I'm dreaming of returning. Got to do that again before I become too decrepit! But, how to sell that notion to the wife? She just doesn't understand....
Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #41
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger1 View Post
Awesome photos.
If you could while your at the Hostel, could you tell Felipe, Andy and Cheryl(on the KTM 950) said hi.
Thanks for bringing your story to share with us.
Booger1,

Your ride report from last year is impressive, wish I'd seen it sooner. Did you notice that we both photographed the arch over the alley on the way down from the Teleferico? Unfortunately I'm not at the hostal where you stayed. Looks like a good place, maybe next time I come to town.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #42
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Excellent RR. Thanks for posting the pix and commentary. I rode through that area long ago. Now I'm dreaming of returning. Got to do that again before I become too decrepit! But, how to sell that notion to the wife? She just doesn't understand....
Tripletreat,
Riding in Mexico is addictive, it gets in your blood. And makes you feel young. Road trips in the USA aren't quite the same.
I'm lucky that my wife is very understanding.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #43
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Zacatecas to Real de Catorce

Friday July 18th

I left Zacatecas after a lost day spent in the hotel while the bacteria in my stomach were battling, and presumably loosing to, some new arrivals.

The road to Real de Catorce is mostly straight and well paved untill the cobble stone stretch which leads to the town. Thanks to RW66's advice I ignored my GPS and didn't turn on the road marked, I think, Est Real de Catorce. This has led many riders along the rutted dirt back road into town. Fun on an appropriate bike, I'm sure. I waited untill after crossing the train tracks to turn on the cobble stone road. Lots of shaking and rattling but the stones are set tightly together so no problem. The views are good as the road winds over the mountain and finallly through a long, damp, mine tunnel into the narrow valley where Real de Catorce sits.

The streets of Real de Catorce

The town is tiny. Half of the buildings are still in ruins, some have been renovated, like the Hotel Real where I am staying. There is a large church, of course. I'm still trying to work out the code of the bell ringing. Beginning at 7am and ending around 10pm, often on the quarter hour, and two different tones. Sheep graze the hillsides and aspiring shamans, one wearing a top hat, sit on the street corners. Seems to be a thriving peyote culture here driven by Mexican and European hippies. A lot of middle class Mexican tourists are here, and a few Europeans. The streets in town are steep and nerve wracking on the big ol' BMW.

The view from my room in the Hotel Real

The church

ricard screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 09:02 AM
Old 07-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #44
Suqsuda
Secret Sharer

Oddometer: 166
Really nice photos, interesting trip, thanks.
Suqsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #45
ricard OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday in Real de Catorce

Saturday July 19th

An interesting german guy who interprets the I Ching.

The low point in Real de Catorce traps the tourists. On the right girls traveling together, on the left the middle age moto group, "The Snails" (great name actuallly), riding quads. These guys were friendly enough, but pretty loud and drunk. In the middle, behind the KLR, the german interested in shamanism, who is kind of angry about the music blasting from the mega watt sound system on one of The Snails quads.

This guy was working really hard to get into town.

The hills outside of town are sublime. And four legs is the best way to travel through this landscape.

Graves crowding and jostling in front of the chuch at the old cemetary.

The graveyard behind the church seems to be a botanists paradise. Maybe it's the horseshit or the humanshit or the decomposing bodies. The flora is beautiful, the air is filled with rich smells and the sound of buzzing bees.

A Huichole girl explaining the traditional iconography.