Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #31
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Day 9 Sunday May 25

Culiacan "Love Motel"MX to Puerto Vallarta MX

I got up even earlier. 4:30 early. Of course this is all Pacific time. When I got into Mexico my phone automatically went into roaming mode and started displaying 2 clocks. 1 said home and the other said roaming. I assumed the roaming clock would be updating to my current location. I assumed incorrectly. The roaming clock is still the same as my home clock so you shouldn't be as impressed with my wake up skills as I am.

I had checked in at 5pm my phone time so I needed to be out by 5 am phone clock time.

I got all packed up and on the road. The goal today is make it at least halfway to PV which is over 600km away.

The sun still wasn't up but there was a glow in the sky and I knew it was coming. I want to get as far as possible before that big globe of motorcycle killer did its job.

I made it to Mazatlan and it started getting muggy. The ambient temp wasn't that bad, it just started getting humid. I wanted to make it at least 50km past Mazatlan, which would be half of the distance to PV. I was going to continue until I felt that my bike might leave me stranded somewhere.

Today was my day. I was blessed. It was partly cloudy and I got up into the hills which had trees lining the road, so I was in the shade. There were only a couple of times that I was worried that my bike might die. These were at military check points and toll booths. Both places have lines and you're basically not moving very fast for awhile. Not moving equals no airflow over my engine and tank to cool it. Luckily my bike didn't even show signs of wanting to stop even though I could feel the heat between my legs building.

My route took me through Tepic MX. About 50km before Tepic I started going through hills and the road got twisty. That means fun for me. The road continued to be nice and twisty all the way to PV which is 165km passed Tepic. That has been the best riding of my trip so far.

I made it to Puerto Vallarta, a day early. I went to my resort to see if I could check in a day early. They were happy to oblige.

Sorry I don't have any pics of that great ride.... I have failed you all.

But here's some pics of the resort.

h2oboy screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 09:56 AM
h2oboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #32
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Nice.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #33
canadian chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Did you pick up MX200 in Tepic and follow it to PV, or use MX76? We did Tepic-PV in December via MX200 and those twisties were a refreshing change from the flat, arrow-straight coastal highway
circling through the Canadian Rockies
2up thru Mexico
canadian chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #34
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Puerto Vallarta

I did more research to see if I could find a fuel pump down in PV for 8 day, but I was unsuccessful. Just more quotes about it taking a month to get it to me and that there was a %40 import tax if I had one shipped in.

This combined with the trouble free day of riding I had coming into PV encouraged me to keep on keeping on like I had been and just wait until I get to my cousins place in Houston and change it out there.

I don't have any dates I have to make now until I need to be back to work. If my bike dies somewhere on the road due to the fuel pump, I'll deal with it then.

Instead of me using PV as a base and doing day rides from there I decided not to abuse the pump any more than needed and just sit on the beach and by the pool drowning my sorrows.

I did wander around PV some. Here are pics.

Look, it's tribute to Idaho

Hmmm.... maybe not.

So I was walking down this road and I heard a woodpecker. It sounded kinda weird. As I got closer I started understand the sound. On this nice tree lined road the woodpecker decided to pound it's head on one of the metal light posts......./facepalm.

I decided to risk getting stranded one of the days in PV so I headed out. While going through traffic and the city, I chickened out as it was starting to get hotter than I thought it was going to be. I turned around and headed back to the resort. Here's part of that video of PV city traffic.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #35
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10 Monday June 2

Puerto Vallarta - Zacatecas "Love Motel"

I put socks on for the first time in what seems like forever. It almost felt wierd.
The new fuel pump is arriving in Houston on Tuesday by end of day.
The goal for today was to make it at least to Guadalajara, farther if the temperature cooperated with me.
The temps did cooperate for the most part. Riding from PV to Guat was actually quite awesome. 300km of nothing but twisties.

The fuel pump did decide to quit once about 100km south of Zacatecas.

At least I had a decent view.

It was 29km to the next town so after a few minutes I got the bike fired back up and continued on with a hope of reaching the next town without too many unwanted stops. It seemed to be a little cooler and the fuel pump showed no signs of wanting to quite again, so I pushed on.

I reached a military checkpoint about 20km south of Zacatecas and they actually pulled me over and wanted to search my bags. I had gone through many police and military checkpoints so far on the trip but they always just waved me through.

I pulled over into the shade where they could search my bags. Well the search entailed unzipping my yellow Giant Loop bag and seeing I had compression sacks in it and a hat which is the only thing he could see with how little he opened it. He zipped it back up and let me go.

Before I left the check point, I asked them if they knew of any hotel in Zacatecas that had parking where my motorcycle would be secure. I thought that he said San Miguel and he described how to get there, so I thanked him and continued on towards Zacatecas. The signs were a little confusing going into town and I passed a sign that pointed to a hotel named Samil. After not finding San Miguel I decided to try and find it on the GPS. It listed many hotels but none named San Miguel.

I now decided to just explore a little bit of the town and stop at the first hotel that looked promising. After about a half hour of riding through these narrow streets I was loosing faith that I would find anything in this area which was suitable.
I pulled over some local cops. They drove a full sized pickup with 3 of them in the front bench seat carrying assault rifles. I asked them the same question I had earlier posed to the Military people. The 3 of them conversed and all agreed on where I should go. They told me to get on my motorcycle and follow them. They led me back to the Samil "Love Motel". They don't actually say "Love Motel" that just what I call these places. See, it wasn't my fault for picking this place.

The Mexican culture is much more family oriented than the US is. What I mean by that is, several generations live in the same house. If any of the couples living there want "alone time" they may have to find privacy outside of the house. That's where these "Love Motels" come in.

The "love Motels" also seem to be the perfect setup for adulterous people though. You pay your money either through a window while in your vehicle at the front gate or to some attendant in the place pointing you which garage to pull into. They have the garage door switch set up so you can hit it from inside your vehicle if you park close enough to that wall. You go into your room from the garage. There is no checking out, you just leave. Whole thing is set up for privacy. This works well for my wanting to take precautions to ensure my bike and my stuff stay in my possession.

I park my bike in the garage and walk up to the front desk to see if there's any food nearby. She says nothing is close but they offer room service and she hands me a menu. I saw one just like this in my room. The prices don't look to bad so I decide to just do room service and call it a day.

h2oboy screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 12:01 PM
Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 PM   #36
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 11 Tuesday June 3

Zacatecas MX to Monterrey MX

Got up bright and early again. The roads were mostly straight. The temps weren't too bad.
I road through countless miles of what I call Dr Suess tree forest. I don't know their actual name but they look like they would fit quite nicely in a Dr Suess book.

The only other thing of note was that awesome was riding between Saltillo and Monterrey. You are riding through a valley and both sides have high peaks. The ones to the South are really high, like thousands of feet high above the road. It reminded me of driving in Colorado next to the Rockies or in California on the 395 south from Bishop. Tall and imposing
I made it to Monterrey without any issue but I didn't want to push my luck by trying to make it farther. I drove around a little bit and ended up deciding to stay at a Holiday Inn.

Checked in and walked around a little bit.

Can't park much closer to the room.

Here's where i discovered some fork oil.

h2oboy screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 12:02 PM
Old 07-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #37
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Nice rr

Planning on taking my WR south also. I think I'll bring an extra fuel pump after reading your and others issues
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #38
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Great report! Makes me want to buy a wr250.

Cant wait for the details on the high snow bank pictures.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Planning on taking my WR south also. I think I'll bring an extra fuel pump after reading your and others issues
What part of PDX are you in? I'm in the Rock Creek area. North of 26 between 185th and Cornelius Pass.

I'd be glad to meet up some time and answer any questions you might have.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #40
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Great report! Makes me want to buy a wr250.

Cant wait for the details on the high snow bank pictures.
Patience young man, patience.

I think you should buy a WR250 also. But I may be biased and I just went and bought a second one 2 days ago.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #41
jfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
What front tire are you running?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #42
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
What front tire are you running?
Shinko 244.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #43
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 12 Wednesday June 4

Monterrey MX to Houston TX

Up bright and early again. Complimentary breakfast devoured.

On the road again. More long straight flat roads to travel.

In Mexico they have Cuota and Libre roads. The Cuota roads are toll roads and much like the freeways in the US. The Libre roads are free and are much like the highways in the US. You can chose either type to get to your destination. I had been travelling a mix of both throughout Mexico.

As I approached the merge point of the Libre road I was on and the Cuota road, I saw vehicles backed up for what appeared to be a mile or more. I was hoping this wasn't backed up all the way from the border which was over 20 miles away. Motorcycles get to do there own thing in Mexico. In that spirit I jumped onto the shoulder and drove up the road. About 1km further I found the cause. Another military check point. They pulled me out of line again to get searched. He looked at my bags, not in them. He asked me where I was going then sent me on my way.

I reached the border in Nuevo Laredo and got all checked out of Mexico then crossed the bridge.

The little ignorant punk agent on the American side was giving me the third degree about traveling by motorcycle and about how dangerous and stupid it was to do that in Mexico. When he didn't know where Puerto Vallarta is, and hadn't even really heard of it, I lost all respect for him and his opinions about anything.
How can he work the Mexican border and not know about one of the main tourist destinations for Americans?
I informed him that I felt safer riding in Mexico than I do in the US. While there are less officers patrolling around trying to take my money, in the name of law enforcement, the people down there actually pay attention while they're driving. They aren't texting or on the phone. They move over for faster vehicles to pass, they use their hazard lights when traffic looks like it may come to a stop ahead of them. While it may "look" more chaotic, it actually is easier to drive in in many ways.

After I got passed ignorant border official, I found some shade, changed my Pesos to Dollars and adjusted my chain again.

My chain was something that I would need to take care of soon. I thought it would last my whole trip but with the number of times and the amount of stretching it was doing I knew it wasn't going to last.

I got on HWY 59 and headed towards Houston. When I got to Victoria my chain was severely loose again. My sprockets were severely damaged and I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it to Houston.

I came upon a Harley shop in town and I stopped to see if they had any chain and sprockets that might work. I wasn't expecting that they would but sometimes you get lucky. They didn't have any, as expected. They did however point me to a different shop in town that they thought might.

I pulled up to Velocity Powersports with my fingers crossed.

My stock gearing is 13 tooth front sprocket and 42 tooth rear sprocket. They didn't have either of those in stock. They did however have a 14 tooth front and a 48 tooth rear. That was close enough for me. I bought them and was pointed to a shady spot around the side of the building where I could change out my old almost dead stuff for the new get me back on the road stuff.

Phil and the rest of the guys at Velocity were awesome. They hooked me up with a good deal on the chain and sprockets and they even let me bug them quite a few times to let me borrow tools that I discovered I was missing from my tool kit. I ended up being there until they closed but luckily I didn't prevent them from closing on time.
After several thanks and handshakes I was on the road again. The new ratio sprockets put my speedo off by over 10mph at 75, which was the speed limit. I seemed to have more power at freeway speeds now. I wasn't full throttle trying to get to 75 like my old gearing.
I think I like this new gearing ratio.

From there it was an uneventful trip into Houston and my cousins house, besides almost running out of gas.

Since my new fuel pump was waiting for me a few miles away, I wanted as little gas in the tank as possible when I was going to change out the pump. This strategy almost left me stranded. When I went to start up again after a stop light the bike died. I got it started again as the light turned yellow. I blasted through the intersection and luckily half a block away was a gas station. I pulled in and put in enough to get me to my cousins and then some.

Back on the road, I finally reach my cousins and since they had to work the next day we exchanged pleasantries quickly and they headed to bed. I showered then did the same.

Fuel pump replaced the next day. Their garage still smells like gas.....sorry....

Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #44
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 13 Monday June 9

Houston TX to Austin TX

After a lovely few days spent at my cousins it was time to get on the road again.

But not until after I messed with my fuel pump again. See, I had been making my cousins house stink of gas since I had changed out the pump. I thought it was just residual smell or excess venting from the tank now that I had filled it all the way.

It was not either of those.

When I went into the garage this morning to start loading the bike, I noticed a few drops of liquid under the bike. After a little investigation, I determined that the drops were fuel and they were coming from the new fuel pump. I disassembled the bike again and pulled the tank. I pulled the fuel pump and cleaned the seal and matting surfaces then reassembled it. Fuel started seeping again from around the seal. The new seal that I ordered was different from the one on my old pump. I replaced the new seal with the old seal and put it all back together. No more seepage. I then reassembled and packed my bike up. I remembered that the old seal actually came with the fuel tank. That would have been nice to remember much earlier.

Now it was time to hit the road. New fuel pump installed.

Friends in Austin don't get off work until 5 so I can take my time and not worry about my bike dieing on me in the middle of no where.

I stopped at several historical markers and a couple of covered areas during my ride. I should have stopped at more covered areas. You see, there were thunder storm cells running around in this part of Texas and I should have tried to avoid more of them better. This wasn't Portland misty rain, this was Texas soak you to the bone in 30 seconds rain. Needless to say I got moist and then some.

Very short mileage and pretty uneventful. Spending the next couple of days visiting here in Austin.

Hiding from the rain.

Hiding from the rain again.

Texas
Old 07-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #45
h2oboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 14 Thursday June 12

Austin TX to Houston TX

I was in Texas and I still hadn't had any BBQ. This must be fixed. I had heard from several different sources that the best BBQ was in Lockhart TX. This became my primary goal for the day. Actually making it back to Houston was a secondary goal. There are 4 different BBQ joints in Lockhart.

My choice of venues was Chisholm Trail. I was told this is where the locals go.

Tell you the truth, I was not blown away by this BBQ. It was good, it just wasn't great like I was expecting. I'm sure I built it up too much in my head which led to the let down in the experience.
One thing that did make Chisholm Trail the place to go was that I ran into a fellow ADV'r Trail Boss. He lives in Austin and was down in Lockhart on business.

We talked for awhile about bikes and BBQ. I told him I was going to try and do some dirt on the way back to Portland. He suggested that I do the TAT and CDT if I had the time.
Since I haven't done a whole lot of dirt, and no long distance dirt, I wasn't sure how long it would take me to make progress. My goal isn't to "do" the TAT or CDT, it was to have some fun in the dirt. I'll take it one day at a time and see where I end up.

I was warned previously that Texans love their BBQ and have strong opinions on it. This was apparent when talking with my new found friend. His favorite spot is Salt Lick in Austin.
My friends in Austin give Salt Lick food an ok but say the atmosphere is awesome.
My lesson in all of this is don't argue with any of them just try them all. I'm working on it but it may take awhile.

I had a fairly uneventful trip back to Houston. No storm showers to dodge or anything. I did find the most Texas thing in Texas though.

Oil pumps pumping away right next to a church. The pumps were even the churches.

Made it back to my cousins in Houston for a couple of more evenings with them before heading to my cousins in DeRidder Louisiana.