Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #91
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,159
Friday, July 18: Forksville, Pennsylvania --> Killington, Vermont.

As I indicated in my "brief update"...I made it! Didn't really expect to get as far as the resort in Killington in one day, but I resorted to "direct" roads and made it. My friend Colin in East Meredity, NY was unable to host me (I'll stay with him on the return) so I would've had to camp or motel. And nobody to take care of me...

Leaving PA RIDER at Forksville, PA...

Before I left John & Heather I had to get a pic of them:

The nicest folks you could possibly hope to meet...

And John is no slouch on his FJR.

At age 79 on this FJR, John is my "role model" for aging...what a guy.

We had some excellent conversations about bikes (remember, I like talking to knowledgeable people), and John said he's been looking at a new bike (he has like 80K miles on his FJR), but seems like nothing is an improvement over the FJR. I agreed---it's a "cult bike" and still has a large, enthusiastic following.

A LANDMARK for Wotan---and I missed it!

A while after leaving Forksville (more great roads, BTW), Wotan rolled over 20,000 miles. But I missed it:

Missed it by 14 miles...oh, well.

BTW, note the external temperature. Fine riding weather yet again...I'm gonna pay for this, I know.

Entering New York...

Somewhere I crossed into New York, but the border was not marked that I could see. When you enter New Mexico, there is a sign proudly proclaiming "The Land of Enchantment." Now New York is the "Empire State" but---outside of their license plates---they don't seem to brag about it too much. I guess the traffic speaks for itself...

But it was nice enough country...

Another pretty day in Dr. Greg's "American Tragedy"...

Motorcycles and Toll Roads...

Like many of you, I avoid toll roads. There usually boring, and paying the toll is a pain (uh, for those few of us who wear gloves). But I really wanted to get to Vermont that day, and it looked like the toll road was the best choice. I approached the toll booths along with a few others...

Little did I know I could've avoided this...

While waiting in line I saw another rider zip right thru the "EZ-Pass" lane, but...when I got to the toll booth the gal waved me thru and said "Free!" At least that's what I think she said, having earplugs in...man, gloves, earplugs, boots, and even a helmet! Doc is GEARED UP! Like he's scared of crashing or somethin'...

Rush Hour.

Wasn't that a Jackie Chan movie? I was a big fan of JC. Anyway, it became clear that leaving the Albany area for the Adirondacks area at 1600 hours on a beautiful Friday afternoon in July was questionable strategy. A lot of other folks had the same idea. Oh, well, it was only "slow 'n go" for about a half hour. And traffic never actually stopped.

And I finally made it. This was where I staying for a week near Killington, Vermont. Nice enough place. My little apartment has TWO TV's...oughta be enough.

This will be Doc's home for a week.

But the BEST thing is that there's a little creek out back, with a perfect area to sit and read. See?

A good book (er, iPad), a good creek, time to relax.

BTW, I am wearing my customary blue shorts in that pic. After all, I've got some neighbors. And I've just started reading The Dog Stars by Peter Heller...

Plan for next week.

So I'm gonna relax for the weekend, let the visitors head back to Albany, NYC, wherever they all poured out of. Then on Monday I'm gonna ride back W to the Adirondacks, for sure go to Big Moose Lake; that's where Grace Brown was murdered (?) by Chester Gillette in 1906. That's the real "American Tragedy" and the whole reason for this trip. I would also like to visit the tiny town of South Otselic, which is where the Brown farm was (well, three miles away) but we'll see.

In the meantime I'm tickled to be able to have some solitude (the people I stayed with were wonderful but sometimes it's nice to be alone), gonna check over Wotan tomorrow, and get ready for riding on Monday.

After Monday there won't be much exciting around here, so I won't update the RR until I leave on Friday. So it'll prolly fade back about five pages by then...oh yeah, the length of the ride so far: 2,669 miles.

Later alligator,

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #92
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,510
You don't by chance have a Google route showing your roads?
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #93
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
You don't by chance have a Google route showing your roads?
Nossir. Just wingin' it. After I get home I could go back and create such an artifact, but that sounds like a lotta work

And I gotta get started on GS wrenching before the PNW trip...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #94
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Nossir. ........................................... but that sounds like a lotta work

--Doc
Gee Dr. Greg, if only your former engineering students could hear you now.

"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #95
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Hey, gimme a break...until I retired, I had NO IDEA how hard I really worked. Surely you know that any kind of university faculty position is about the (1) research money you acquire, (2) the journal publications you accrue, and (3) only secondarily about teaching. What a profession!...

However, I do congratulate you on choice of a screen name: the Rolls-Royce Merlin is one of my all-time favorite IC engines. IIRC it was continued as a "Packard" version. But the "Merlin" name (to me) is just magic.

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Gee Dr. Greg, if only your former engineering students could hear you now.

2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #96
PA RIDER
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Dr. Greg was the perfect guest. He neglected mentioning I was a lazy host who never left his recliner (due to a still unknown med. condition). I never even saw the famous stead he rides. The good Dr. promised to stay with us on his return leg. Hopefully I will be in better shape to be a proper host to a very interesting traveler. Enjoy VT. Dr. Greg.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #97
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Greetings Doc - Well...some of us on the leading edge of the boomers demographic probably DO share your interest / taste in music. But it seriously dates us to the Phil Spector "wall of sound" genre, so some may perhaps refrain due to certain maturation 'sensitivities'. I however am not one of those, bring on the B flats. Someday want to hear the 'rest of the story' regarding your geologist FIL - so put that on the list. As a former soil scientist I had a few disagreements with my geo' compatriots - they viewed productive soil (over burden) as something to simply be removed & tossed to get to the good stuff. ARGGG !! Broke my soil lovin heart! Show me the reclamation plan...please. Anyway... awaiting the Big Moose Lake leg - enjoy your respite in VT - looks like a fine little spot to R&R with blue shorts. Cheers, jp
jphish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:10 PM   #98
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Hey my friend PA RIDER,

You couldn't keep me away from that place. Like I said, Mrs. Greg said all we need is 1/2-acre off of the corner of your big hilltop. Lemme see, "interesting traveler"...how should I take that? I think I'll take it as a compliment. Back atcha big fella; countin' on you bein' a little spryer when I come thru in a week or so...

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA RIDER View Post
Dr. Greg was the perfect guest. He neglected mentioning I was a lazy host who never left his recliner (due to a still unknown med. condition). I never even saw the famous stead he rides. The good Dr. promised to stay with us on his return leg. Hopefully I will be in better shape to be a proper host to a very interesting traveler. Enjoy VT. Dr. Greg.
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #99
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Wow, someone who actually remembers those songs? COOL!! Seems like ol' Phil Spector got into trouble a while back...wasn't that right?

Hey when I rendezvous with you this fall during my PNW trip I'll relate the rest of the "geologist" story...till the, thanks for following and bring on Big Moose Lake...

--Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Greetings Doc - Well...some of us on the leading edge of the boomers demographic probably DO share your interest / taste in music. But it seriously dates us to the Phil Spector "wall of sound" genre, so some may perhaps refrain due to certain maturation 'sensitivities'. I however am not one of those, bring on the B flats. Someday want to hear the 'rest of the story' regarding your geologist FIL - so put that on the list. As a former soil scientist I had a few disagreements with my geo' compatriots - they viewed productive soil (over burden) as something to simply be removed & tossed to get to the good stuff. ARGGG !! Broke my soil lovin heart! Show me the reclamation plan...please. Anyway... awaiting the Big Moose Lake leg - enjoy your respite in VT - looks like a fine little spot to R&R with blue shorts. Cheers, jp
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #100
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Speaking of Big Moose Lake (scene of the real "American Tragedy" )...it's quite a ways from my current location. Looks like to ride over to BML and back tomorrow will be upwards of 350 miles. And likely SLOWISH miles.

Better get an early start. But...an early start means forest rats. Man, I'm not sure what to do. Wisht I coulda found a closer place to stay...oh well, it is what it is. I'm a little edgy about the ride tomorrow. Be glad when I'm back.

Took a few pics around my neighborhood while walkin' around today, but not worth posting here. Hopefully get some better ones Monday.

BTW, had my first "bike problem" today---while checking tire pressure I noticed the connector I installed for my 12V "tire inflator" had broken (my fault). Luckily the connector I fitted for charging iPhone, iPad, etc. was the same, and I could inflate my tires (they were just a tad low). Whew! Guess if that's the worst that happens I'll consider myself lucky...

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #101
R0CKETMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
How do you stay away from your wife for so long?

Ducati Multistrada 1200s Pikes Peak
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:33 PM   #102
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
How do you stay away from your wife for so long?
Well, that's an interesting question. Don't wanna get into psychology...after all, I'm just a dumb engineer...don't wanna get too sappy here...

Mrs. Greg (Annie) and I have been married 40 years. Four boys (born in three decades: 70s, 80s, 90s). I courted her on my '73 RD350, so she knew what she was getting into.

IMHO if you truly love someone, you have to give them some freedom. Neither Annie nor I are into "clinginess"...if you know what I mean. I've known people like that, and---to me---it's a danger sign.

We have done things together (e.g. flattrack spectating), and we've done things separately (like this trip). No big deal.

Like the immortal words of Steve Bolander (Ronnie Howard in "American Graffiti" --- perhaps my favorite movie): "Seeing other people while I'm gone can't possibly hurt...I think it would strengthen our relationship." Hey, Annie, just kidding! Put down that rolling pin!!

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #103
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Almost a showstopper

CRUNCH!! That was the sound as I SAT ON my glasses. Busted 'em good.

Good thing I carry an extra pair. Whew! Hadn't even had a drink...

Carry on.

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #104
nmtrialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Thumb US Hill!

Just stumbled on your RR, saw the title and wondered what's that all about? Anyhow, I did not look at where you were from, but when I saw the first picture of Wotan...I'm thinking, "I know that view" it is only a few miles from where I live near Sipapu. Nice spot atop US Hill Have enjoyed catching up and will follow along! Safe travels! Love the forest rat comments! We have many prowling around up here in the mountains.
nmtrialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #105
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 179
Unplanned trip out of the country for a week....just getting caught up...great stuff....that part of Pa along the mighty Susquehanna is a wonderful journey...great roads,quaint towns..I know ,I know-forest rats....they are a challenge...I have a small herd of about 20 or so that hang out in my back yard(including a 3 legged doe-she's made it through 2 winters)...enjoy Vermont and rest up...looking forward to rest of your trip.
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote