Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
TAT, CDR, T1, WABDR, OBCDR, El Camino del Diablo Ride

I guess It's about time for phase two.
Moving from a planning report to the ride report.
Here is the planning if you care to read it.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=978467

I've been reading other postings to get an idea of what I should be writing.
I should NOT have done that since it made me realize I don't have any idea why I'm doing this. (The ride that is)

This thing will kick off on the 22nd. The bike shipped yesterday afternoon and I will meet it in NC.

My biggest question right now; (self question) Why????

I've done a few things and been a few places and I either end up wishing I was home or it falls short on the hype.
I've seen a tree, sand, streams, rocks and clouds before.... Much the same no matter where you are in the world.

Oh!!!!! OK, just thought of the reason to do this ride....To figure out WHY I'm doing the ride.

I chose this route as I thought it would be challenging. I've always pushed myself with things like this. Maybe "pushed" is not the right word. "Placed" might be a better description. I tend to place myself into rough situations just to see how it turns out. I'm the kid with the magnifying glass and at the same time; the ant. Burn you little bastard; hell no man; I've got SPF 500 on, you can't touch me!

See what I'm say'n

Used to Mountain Bike then got otta that. Few years later I figured I wanted an Enduro. Looked around some then bought one off the local Craigslist. (told you I was a risk taker) Here we are today; MTB to MotorBike. I ride about 99.9% on my own. Why on your own you ask???

Cause I don't like people.

HA. Painting a bad picture of myself. I'd better clear that part up. How about; I just try to avoid people. I'm a great people person but I'd just rather avoid it if I can.
No MySpace, no pager, no phone calls, just hiding behind the keyboard and sending out the selected words I want ya'll to hear.
I'd rather watch the show of life from the nose bleed section rather than dance around on center stage.

I tried center stage before (in my little bubble) and didn't care for it much.

So why am I even writing anything at all about this ride? I could just not say anything; do it and forget about it. Not say a word and avoid the media crap outright. Done deal.

My first reason is because I feel It's right to bring attention to those who have helped and are going to be helping me as I attempt this route.
I've listed most of them in the planning report and I feel that w/o them I wouldn't be doing this. The way things work today is the Intro-Net acts as a form of payment. A lot of people read about what's good and bad nowadays... McDonalds coffee comes to mind. (how did I know it was going to be hot?)

Second reason; and don't get all butt hurt and crazy eyed when you read this....

Sarcasm and laughter/laughter and sarcasm.

I love them both. I may post something just to see the reactions. Sometimes It's great test to see who you're really dealing with.
Look at my bike; painted with Krylon right? I did it to poke at those orange bike owners whos rig is showroom condition anytime it leaves the house... Sarcasm and laughter.
Relax relax. Here's a better explanation for you Orangies who are smashing your faces against the screen and flipping me off right now.

I don't do things to make fun of anyone or to say "the way you're doing it is wrong".
No belittling or anything like that.
My belief is that you get more of an honest answer, or look into people when you show more of yourself, or who you are.
Example here: I meet you for a ride and It's gonna be a tech one right. I know the planned route as a spot where the bike needs to be dropped off an 11' ledge to connect the route. Spotless bike Boy it NOT going to want that bike chucked off the cliff.....

Nother: I show up to a group ride and the first thing mentioned is how stupid It was of me to spray paint the bike. There is no reason for me to even start that ride. If I'm judged from the paint job that group is gonna straight hate the fact that I don't strap my helmet chinstrap, wear any safty gear and am only riding in a T-shirt.

My strange ways acts as filter. Saves both sides issues. (I think)

You either like me or hate me in the first 15 seconds of meeting and I've probably decided about you 5 seconds before that.

Heck yeah! Now that's a good start to a ride report.
The introduction is complete.
Intro-World folks; meet SicVic.

On to the ride and my thinking on it. (or lack of)
I'm aware that the lamest ass road could be what cleans you out. For the majority or this ride the trails are easy.
I should clarify I've not ridden much of this route so I'm really only quoting what I've seen on YouTube. (that's funny)
The ride is long enough to allow time for ANYTHING to happen.
I'm looking forward to getting caught off guard and punched in the satch.
This is what makes it exciting.

The two routes that I feel will be problem children are the T1 and the El Camino del Diablo.

The Diablo because of the heat and the fact that it will be toward the end of the trip and I'm sure I'll be spent if I even make it that far. Heat, deep sand and worn out (both bike and I).

T1: This might actually make me cry. This route is no walk in the park in the best conditions. I would like to obtain all the challenge points along the way but also know that with all the camping gear and added weight it may just bring me to my final resting place. I'm giving this one the "who knows" rating.
Those of you who have completed the challenge or attempted it know the issues I'll be encountering.

In the end I'll be trying to throw together a bunch of routes all in a row that may or may not work.
It sounds pretty major and that's why I planned this.
I've listed my daily goals over in the planning attachment. Tough in some areas; easy in others.

So, that's a little bout me and my thoughts on the ride.

Not here to sell nothing to nobody. If you like it; watch her. If you don't; go about your way. Easy nuff.

2 weeks to launch.
Bike loaded and en-route to pause.... over....
Attached Images

SICVIC screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 12:50 PM
SICVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 474
Very ambitious - good luck to you man and may the trail gods smile on you!
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
snglfin
man on a mission

Oddometer: 11
In. Best of luck!
snglfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Safe travels SICVIC! Sub'd.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fat Kid

Well...till I meet the bike again this is what ya'll gotta be deal'n with in regards to a ride report.

Today the fat Kidd decided he had better do something that had some resemblance to fitness. (video games are failing to get me there)

I figured I'd hike up a local hill.
Cowles Mountain was the target. It's a short walk to the top. About 1.5 miles with a height reaching 1500'. (this is what we call mountains)

The noon start was a little warm but the ocean breezes kept things in check. I brought along some lunch and ate at the top. Tuna fish and some sort of Hippie crackers that my Girl ordered in the mail. (Kelp covered in Sea Monkeys floavored)
After surviving those things it was time to head back down.

This place can be hella crowded due to easy access and proximity to the City and colleges. Today; not so much = good.

Attaching a pic from the day.
I'll call it "turd on a hill"

If you look past the turd (me) you are looking West at San Diego and the Ocean.

Over the next two weeks I'll be including some of the local stuff that I do.
For those of you who have never been here; you may enjoy it.

I know this is not actual trail riding related stuff but I tought it may set up the stage and show a few things about me.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
birdcool
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Sub'd

is there a Spot tracking page in the plan?
birdcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Spots

No spots this year. Last year I borrowed one.

The only tech device that is going this year in the trusty $9 phone.
It does not take pictures or do the intro-net so if I go down I'm bringing along one pigeon that I will send for help.
Don't shoot it if it arrives at you window.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
El Camino del Diablo

What an awesome trip planned!!!
The el camino del diablo trail is a sweet ride. Little bit of sand, little bit of silt.... Just a heads up, you'll need to get a Barry Goldwater Permit from the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, to be allowed in the Range. No charge for it. Give them a call the night before, or the morning before you enter and you're good to go. Info's on the permit.
Here's a link to a RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196396
Cheers
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #9
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Diablo

Super cool of you to mention the permits.

I'm crossing from the East toward the West. I've already made arrangements with the folks over in Ajo, AZ. Going in this direction they have you watch a 20 minute movie, fill out the paperwork and give you what's required for B Goldwater. I guess there is a number you have to call when you reach that point.

I also have to pick up a flag for the bike before crossing. I plan on getting an oil change in Tuscon and I'll get the flag there before heading toward Ajo.

Sand and HOT will be the theme for crossing that trail for sure.

Again, thanks for making sure I'm on track with stuff. The planning for this has been massive; who knows what I've missed.

Take care.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #10
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

T minus 7

Hey all,
Launch date is getting closer and I'm posting a few updates to keep the story flowing.

One of the latest bumps were some last minute changes to the T1.

Two of the seven days had some route changes and there were also some checkpoint adjustments to go along with the new routing.
This stuff is all super important if you are trying to complete the challange. You miss the checkpoint and you don't earn the point awarded for it.
For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about take a gander at Motorcyclejazz.com
I had planned on things changing so I kept my spare GPS with me here at home while the primary was shipped along with the bike to NC.
I reworked the tracks over the past two days so I should be good now.
The two GPSs are not the same so the cradles are differant. 76 vs 78.
I shipped both types with the bike so all I'll have to do is switch out the ball when I need to use the 76 for T1 Day 3 and 4.

Crazy amount of small details that need to be thought of.
I give huge props to anyone who comes from overseas to do a ride. It's one thing to load a bike in a trailer or to leave from your front door. It's kind of crazy getting on a plane with nothing more than the clothes on your back and hoping you have what you need at the other end.

OK, another addition to report.
I planned this ride as a solo but have tried to make contact with others who may be going the same direction at the same time.
Stuff like this just kinda has to work on its own. Everyone has their own speed and agenda.
As the days get closer I'm about 96 1/2% certain I'll be starting out with a rider who is also leaving from the East. I fly into Wilmington and pick my bike up at a Harley Dealership nearby. This is the planned meeting spot.

We've discussed that both are fine with going solo if ride styles don't mesh well; we go about our way. If all is well, we plan on splitting somewhere in CO and I'll go North and She will go West and then down South.

Today I'll laminate my notes and get that stuff consolidated.
I don't know if anyone even does that now. I hand write everything, make flow charts and write down contacts and address's for the trip.

So, that's the updated report.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #11
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Meds on the trail

I must not be the only one.

Such a pain dealing with the medication thing when traveling.
This is my game plan (planish)
Take ice pack and put into Tupperware container. Place ice in fridge and freeze. Wrap shot in bubble wrap then stick that in a ziploc baggie. Place the baggie in the container then use more bubble wrap for packing material. Install lid, tape shut. Now put container inside of another baggie.

Throw all that in the box that is getting shipped with the bike maint stuff and mail it to the predesignated locations.... Hope for best.

1 per week.

Of course the meds have all kinds of rules for them. Cant freeze, cant shake, cant get wet, Cant get hot, only good for a short time once it reaches room temps... Just another thing that may end up kill'n me along the way.
I know others deal with the same thing but I wanted to post it just because It's one of those things you don't think about until an event comes along.

Never easy.
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
gameyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
And I was feeling good about myself for planning to ride the T1, I can't imagine doing this trip you have planned!
I'll be heading south to North on the T1 with 2 friends leaving on the 9th of Aug., maybe we'll see you on the trail.

Good luck!!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #13
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,455
Great trip you have planned, good luck.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Great trip you have planned, good luck.
Luck WILL be required. Thanks much!

Just informed that the bike arrived at the shop in Wilmington.
Close to wire with that one. Sunday they have a short day and Monday they are closed. Whew. A little luck sometimes make the difference.

Vic
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
SICVIC OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameyogi View Post
And I was feeling good about myself for planning to ride the T1, I can't imagine doing this trip you have planned!
I'll be heading south to North on the T1 with 2 friends leaving on the 9th of Aug., maybe we'll see you on the trail.

Good luck!!
Everyone has a plan. Making it happen can be a whole other game.
I'll give it my best shot.

Stoked you and the other bro-hammers will be starting on the same day as I planned. Nice to have others out there keeping a loose eye on things.

I'll be in Preston the day of the 8th at the Plaza Motel. I may or may not stay there that night. Depending on the weather, I may just camp at the T1 trail head (start). I plan on getting out early to give a little extra time up there in Pocatello.
Last year it took me 7hr 26 min Total time with an avg of 20.9 to do day one.
It's 155 miles if you start in Preston and 136 if you start at the actual starting area.

Let me know what your plans are and I'll keep my eyes open for ya.

Make sure to check in with Martin prior to departure via the e-mail he posted over there on Mjazz.

See you out there.

Vic