User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #1336
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thumb

Another inmate who appreciates all your efforts to keep us riding/learning with you! I tell people all the time of your travels, and that someday soon I will be doing a similar trip. Just like to see the reaction on their faces

Thanks!

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #1337
SturgisChick
Born and Raised

Oddometer: 257
Wow!

Pics are incredible! Looking forward to more...wishing you safe travels.
Michelle
SturgisChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #1338
cristiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
[...]..Jeff the owner had his ger broken into while sleeping and passports. Money. GPS units were stolen...as his passport has gone and the Russian visa in it as well he is stranded as has to return to the UK to get a new one issued...he explored every angle but its the only way

It sounds like this kind of thing has happened a few times since rhetorically new owners took over so be warned[...]
Thanks for letting us know about this: we will have to keep our eyes open

Quote:
[...] a GBAO permit for the pamirs which are not being issued right now...[...]
I have to correct you about this: yours looks like old info.
Fortunately, GBAO permits are regularly issued since mid june.
cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #1339
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 2,280
Met a guy at the oasis who told me the embassy gave him the last GBAO permit they will issue for at least a month due to unrest...this was three weeks ago he got it

I got mine months ago

I will have more up to date info once i get further into the stans

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #1340
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

But first i have to edit about 1000 photos of the central route of Mongolia and post it

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #1341
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,739
bring it, boss!....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #1342
fastredbike
out riding

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
But first i have to edit about 1000 photos of the central route of Mongolia and post it
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #1343
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,505
Looking forward to seeing those photos!!

Safe travels.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #1344
cristiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Met a guy at the oasis who told me the embassy gave him the last GBAO permit they will issue for at least a month due to unrest...this was three weeks ago he got it

I got mine months ago

I will have more up to date info once i get further into the stans
This guy simply gave you old info.
The problems were last may, but fortunately, GBAO permits are regularly issued since mid june, we have reports of people obtaining it in different places almost every day.

Quote:
Wow: I look forward to your pictures!
cristiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #1345
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

in Olgii, Western Mongolia after crossing the country doing the central route...and reconfirmed i hate sand but love the scenery...

the internet is painfully slow to upload photos, so here are a few teasers...and the stories to follow include, broken trucks, broken bikes, dog attacks, offers of crazy strong snuff, police, water crossings, deep sand, dropped bikes, running out of gas, crazy spanish cyclists, yak jerky, camels and lots more, its been a crazy six days

Old 07-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #1346
kiwibolt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Amazing pictures- can't wait for more and for the accompanying stories. Thanks for posting it all here- I appreciate the effort and you're taking all of us to areas of the world that most of us will never go.
kiwibolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #1347
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Great shots Paul!

Thanks for the teaser!

Cheers
Old 07-19-2014, 12:16 PM   #1348
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,719
Great report!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #1349
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,147
Beautiful pictures Paul, as to be expected slow to no internet..... no worries we'll still be here waiting for the "Rest of the Story". soak it all in.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #1350
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

the internet kicked in so here we go...

So after the passport theft of the group leader who was taking the group down the BAM, they made a decision to do a circle tour of Mongolia while he returned to the UK to get a new passport and Russian visa...the prospect of riding the BAM was scrapped but the road of bones was still on and the group leader would meet them in Yakutsk

so everyone saddled up

i let the four rider be together and watched as they got to know each others riding styles as they headed out of UB, an englishman, a scot, a dutchman and an american

a prearranged waypoint about 50k out of the city was set up for the chase truck to rendezvous and while waiting they soon found out there is zero personal space in Mongolia and people were dropped kids on bikes without a thought if the owners cared or not

Wilko the groups paramedic had now become the chase truck driver, he showed up about 15 minutes later, laughing and joking with the locls not having a clue what each other was saying

the first day would be all pavement, most of it in good shape

the vistas are amazing and the feeling of space is overwhelming as you ride,wild animals are everywhere as all the land is open

but when i see yaks i just can't help thinking of the comedian Ron White..."when i say i've gotta Yak it doesn't mean i have a big hairy cow living in my back yard"

as i was giving the group plenty of space they were miles ahead of me, it was there ride and i still wanted to feel like a solo rider i was really only there for moral support and help if there was a problem as they all were riding XT660 Tenere's which obviously i have a lot of experience on, go back to page one if you don't know why

also as the group leader Jeff who is also the mechanic wasn't with them anymore...i see them stopped in the distance and ride up to find they have a flat tire

no problem lets get the wheel off and get it fixed...nope...the support truck has all the tools, so we wait and watch the world go by, Mongolian style

once it arrives, the american guy (who'll remain nameless) sit himself down, saying you've got this. Once he found that the BAM was off he was like a little kid pissing and moaning and throwing temper tantrums, yes he couldn't ride the BAM but the others were just making the most of the ride, they had paid a lot of money to be here and now ere having an opportunity to see Mongolia instead, not a bad second option...not him he decided to alienate himself from the group and when he did join in a conversation everything he had done was bigger, better, more expensive, lots of exaggeration unnecessarily about places, and as most Europeans are very well traveled they spotted this instantly... if the group were doing something all of them tried to help, not him...the other riders told me they thought he was acting like a total dick and he wouldn't spoil their ride

puncture fixed, lets find some camels, loads of freaking camels, right by the side of the road

ending the day looking for camping spot, Walter the Dutch guy had been riding from London and he was given the option of finding a good spot to camp for the night, he took the challenge and headed off the road 3k's to a high spot with amazing 360 degree vistas

Walter also made the food, which was amazing and as we were finishing the full moon rose a deep orange, three riders talked and agreed it was a good first day out on the road, the forth, sat alone making noises and talking to himself