ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Kennedy Meadows 24th-27th July 2014

So as not to hijack the other KM thread, my wife and I will be heading up next weekend for a few days. We will be getting there Thursday late afternoon - early evening.

For those of you that could not make it for the "big annual ride" this weekend, come on up and join me. No chest pounding nasty trails, just mellow trail riding and some fire roads.

If enough guys show up, we can split off into groups. We'll be staying at the Troy Meadows regular campgrounds that have the tables and restrooms. Tent camping.

I'm pretty familiar with all the trails up there with the exception of Rincon. This year I plan on staying on the Eastern trails that run up to Monache Meadows. Maybe a pavement/fireroad blast to some of the other meadows as well. I'm pretty much open to anything.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,480
Be prepared for whoops, they're everywhere on the east side.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Be prepared for whoops, they're everywhere on the east side.
Whoops are no big deal. Besides, their only on the trails leading out of camp. Ive pretty much been on every singe trail up there (East of Sherman Jeep 4WD Trail), with the exception of Rincon.

Whoops, rocks, dust, trees, and meadows. Looking forward to it!
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
Whoops are no big deal. Besides, their only on the trails leading out of camp.
i guess you haven't ridden KM in awhile. The whoops are all over the place and they are more like speed bumps...don't get me wrong though, KM is still a great place to be. the weather over the weekend was fantastic! Have fun on your ride Chris!
Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
i guess you haven't ridden KM in awhile. The whoops are all over the place and they are more like speed bumps...don't get me wrong though, KM is still a great place to be. the weather over the weekend was fantastic! Have fun on your ride Chris!
Thanks for the heads up. I have been going almost every year for the last 15 years or so. I missed last year (and this years big ride) due to work. I'm an old desert rat, so I don't really notice the "baby bumps" much in the forest. I'm really looking forward to it!

So is Schaeffer 33E24, and Rattlesnake (dead end trail) 33E22, whooped out as well? I just remember a lot of water crossings and rocks. I bet it's pretty dried up this time of year. Those are 2 of my favorite (and about my limit) of "advanced trails" East of Sherman Jeep Trail.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 898
Was just there

Don't remember anything whooped out...like that stretch of cut across trail in Ocotillo

We rode all of Monache, Knob/Broder (?) Jackass, Albanita, Schafer, Corral Meadow area, Sherman Peak, Trout, Bonita, a chunk of Sherman Pass, Beach, Rattlesnake, and the Blackrock, Little Horse stuff.
Don't recall any real show stoppers.

Wish I could go again this weekend, but that may require more karma than I got in the bank
Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Don't remember anything whooped out...like that stretch of cut across trail in Ocotillo

We rode all of Monache, Knob/Broder (?) Jackass, Albanita, Schafer, Corral Meadow area, Sherman Peak, Trout, Bonita, a chunk of Sherman Pass, Beach, Rattlesnake, and the Blackrock, Little Horse stuff.
Don't recall any real show stoppers.

Wish I could go again this weekend, but that may require more karma than I got in the bank
Cool deal. I figured as much. Most of the guys that ride the forests aren't used to the "baby bumps" at KM. Of all the years going there I have never seen anything close to whoops except coming right out of camp. My riding buddy just got back last night and confirmed that all the trails are smooth and flowing.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
You call those whoops 'baby bumps' ? Most of them swallowed my bike whole
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #9
Excndez
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
The whoops on Beach Ridge are more than just "baby bumps" as well as now on Schaefer and parts of Trout and Boone. They're not too bad just skipping across the tops, but ya got to slow down for those pesky corners.
1970 CT70hko x 6
Excndez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excndez View Post
The whoops on Beach Ridge are more than just "baby bumps" as well as now on Schaefer and parts of Trout and Boone. They're not too bad just skipping across the tops, but ya got to slow down for those pesky corners.
Fair deal Ben. Thats why its cool to be plated. Oh yea the corners! Forgot about those on beach ridge. Sprained my thumb a few seasons back on that trail.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Don't remember anything whooped out...
I don't know what you were smokin', but I want some! bike swallowing whoops are everywhere, we could start a new thread, KM whoops.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
ballisticexchris OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know what you were smokin', but I want some! bike swallowing whoops are everywhere, we could start a new thread, KM whoops.
I guess I'm just used to them. It is offroad after all.....
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Whoops r subjective, Vance! People talk about whooped out I think of Ocotillo Wells or that stretch headed out of the Husky monument thru the canyon pass South. I just slow down for the Kennedy whoops, ain't got much choice...I rode my xr280 thru there!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
Mojave Mutt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
KM nice 20 years ago, now, not so much. It's always nice when someone steps up and tells folks what KM is really like instead of La La Land bullshit. The pics always look so nice, but I know better than to make that drive.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Mutt View Post
KM nice 20 years ago, now, not so much. It's always nice when someone steps up and tells folks what KM is really like instead of La La Land bullshit. The pics always look so nice, but I know better than to make that drive.
25 years ago Glen Spent alot of time up there in my early twenties. Place was a ghost town back then

RIDE ON!