ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #1996
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 426
Late call.

Windows open, I am out the door in a couple minutes. Brook trout at Lost creek just South of Wilson lake {tonight}. and then coming through butt lake and over tomorrow. This is a no sleeping bag, that's what riding gear is for. fishing pole only trip. Flies, and my hydration pack.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #1997
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Windows open, I am out the door in a couple minutes. Brook trout at Lost creek just South of Wilson lake {tonight}. and then coming through butt lake and over tomorrow. This is a no sleeping bag, that's what riding gear is for. fishing pole only trip. Flies, and my hydration pack.
I like nothing better then laying down in the dirt with no tent or sleeping bag and just being one with anything that crawls or flys by.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:49 PM   #1998
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 426
Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I like nothing better then laying down in the dirt with no tent or sleeping bag and just being one with anything that crawls or flys by.
Back Luckily. My trip didn't go quite like I thought. Got out the door with no preparation. Getting gas I noticed my front tire seemed low, got air and avoided heading out with less than 10 lbs of air in the front. Stuck to a more direct route because I wanted fish for dinner. Came in to an old favorite place only to find in dryed up. I like to fish small creeks. This is a spring and I fish it just 400 yards from the headwater. Anyway I went with another idea. Headed out through Chester only to hit a big thunder storm, So since dinner wasn't going to be fish I turned around and grabbed a sandwich from subway. I quickly headed around the lake via the west shore but the thunder storm got me anyway. Picked up something to drink passing through Greenville and headed to another Favorite hide out that offers me shelter after a tricky hill climb up to the Rail Road tracks. then tuck in under a tressel. This is a great spot for me as I can Geek out on the trains and there is both swimming and fishing. Great evening with myself and the ants. good night sleep and a good morning start on a tiny creek. This is very steep county and walking is very difficult. After an hour or so I find myself in a very remote spot that no one would have dreamed of looking for me at. This is when I hurt myself and am unable to move. The ground I was on went two different directions and pulled or tore me up. I felt like my legs had been dislocated. I could not sit or move, My legs just didn't work. I was holding on to a branch that did not support me but kept me from falling. I have not felt this venerable for a long time. after 5 minutes or so I was able to take my first step. I recovered enough to work my way out. Not an easy walk if your feeling great, My hips loosened up as I walked and I made it back to my bike. That was temporary though as sitting on the bike was very uncomfortable. Super sore at home, but at home and can walk with the aid of my doctor. I do lots of dangerous things but until today never thought fishing was one of them.

And just to clarify, When I say no sleeping bag, That is not completely correct. I have several different sleeping configurations. I carry a tarp that is/was 8x6. brown light weight. I have stitched it closed to make a {bag/ Bivy} out of it leaving me with a 4x6 sack. This is my go to equipment for Train riding. I fit everything into it and become invisible amongst debris.
I also have a bed sheet that is stitched in the same manner but narrower and it has a mesh net stitched on the top so you can get in it and keep the bugs away somewhat. thermarest with sheet bag slipped into the trap bag makes for a very small light weight sleeping system. My ridding gear provides any warmth I need but is not needed this time of year.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #1999
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Back Luckily. My trip didn't go quite like I thought. Got out the door with no preparation. Getting gas I noticed my front tire seemed low, got air and avoided heading out with less than 10 lbs of air in the front. Stuck to a more direct route because I wanted fish for dinner. Came in to an old favorite place only to find in dryed up. I like to fish small creeks. This is a spring and I fish it just 400 yards from the headwater. Anyway I went with another idea. Headed out through Chester only to hit a big thunder storm, So since dinner wasn't going to be fish I turned around and grabbed a sandwich from subway. I quickly headed around the lake via the west shore but the thunder storm got me anyway. Picked up something to drink passing through Greenville and headed to another Favorite hide out that offers me shelter after a tricky hill climb up to the Rail Road tracks. then tuck in under a tressel. This is a great spot for me as I can Geek out on the trains and there is both swimming and fishing. Great evening with myself and the ants. good night sleep and a good morning start on a tiny creek. This is very steep county and walking is very difficult. After an hour or so I find myself in a very remote spot that no one would have dreamed of looking for me at. This is when I hurt myself and am unable to move. The ground I was on went two different directions and pulled or tore me up. I felt like my legs had been dislocated. I could not sit or move, My legs just didn't work. I was holding on to a branch that did not support me but kept me from falling. I have not felt this venerable for a long time. after 5 minutes or so I was able to take my first step. I recovered enough to work my way out. Not an easy walk if your feeling great, My hips loosened up as I walked and I made it back to my bike. That was temporary though as sitting on the bike was very uncomfortable. Super sore at home, but at home and can walk with the aid of my doctor. I do lots of dangerous things but until today never thought fishing was one of them.

And just to clarify, When I say no sleeping bag, That is not completely correct. I have several different sleeping configurations. I carry a tarp that is/was 8x6. brown light weight. I have stitched it closed to make a {bag/ Bivy} out of it leaving me with a 4x6 sack. This is my go to equipment for Train riding. I fit everything into it and become invisible amongst debris.
I also have a bed sheet that is stitched in the same manner but narrower and it has a mesh net stitched on the top so you can get in it and keep the bugs away somewhat. thermarest with sheet bag slipped into the trap bag makes for a very small light weight sleeping system. My ridding gear provides any warmth I need but is not needed this time of year.
Yikes man,not many of us are 28 years old anymore.

Ive had to pretty much take a pass on hiking steep squirrley terrain due to bodily constraints,knee/ankle/calve muscle issues on one leg.
It would suck to end up stuck where nobody has the foggiest idea where you are,bad way to go.
==========================================
But your up in my old stomping grounds up that way,I worked at a ranch 3000' above Greenville for a couple years,mt biked,4X4'd,dirtbiked all over that place up there. Up Old Haun road 3 miles out of Greenville proper.
----------------------------------------------------------------------)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

All my DR's parts are here,the suspension guy combines 2 shocks to make 1 today,then it all goes together,still plan on coming by and check out the Trials bike situation,etc.

Platina had a decent lunch last time I stopped in.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #2000
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign
 
Hookalatch's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Cottonwood, CA
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Back Luckily. My trip didn't go quite like I thought..
Sorry to hear of your accident but glad you made it out okay. It is surprising what we can force our bodies to do when it becomes absolutely necessary. I am glad the "accident" didn't happen while on the bike.

Chuck
Hookalatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #2001
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
Back Luckily. My trip didn't go quite like I thought.
Also glad to hear you made it back! Who would organize all of those trials meets?!?

DeLorme InReach SE. Solo riding is risky, but not mitigating risk is unnecessary. Saw it for $250 with rebate and my monthly is only $10. CalStar annual insurance is like $50 for family.

Only on soapbox cuz I care about you Joe (and trials). :-)
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #2002
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 426
Better

No vicodin's today. feeling much less worried about serious injury, just sore. I will be taking it easy for a bit, but it's Summer and I have used up a lot of Them already.

While laying atop my sheet, watching the stars peeking around thunder clouds I hear movement in the bushes near by. Judging by the sound of the rustle it was smaller than me. After listening for a long minute, maybe two it got quite. Just long enough for my brain to wonder. out of the quite a mouse jumped up on my bare shoulder. With a quick swat I backhanded him back into the bushes and he runs off.

It is amazing how much stuff you can go through in such little time.
If it wasn't for the sub stories, it wouldn't be an Adventure.
Hop-Sing
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #2003
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
No vicodin's today. feeling much less worried about serious injury, just sore. I will be taking it easy for a bit, but it's Summer and I have used up a lot of Them already.

While laying atop my sheet, watching the stars peeking around thunder clouds I hear movement in the bushes near by. Judging by the sound of the rustle it was smaller than me. After listening for a long minute, maybe two it got quite. Just long enough for my brain to wonder. out of the quite a mouse jumped up on my bare shoulder. With a quick swat I backhanded him back into the bushes and he runs off.

It is amazing how much stuff you can go through in such little time.
If it wasn't for the sub stories, it wouldn't be an Adventure.
Hop-Sing
I was sleeping in the camper shell out in Colorado,girlfriend and I could hear vague noises in and around the truck at night.

Mice crawled into the cab,maybe squeezed through where wiring passes into the cab. All our food was in the cab,they sampled it all,shit in most of it,then made a big nest out of the brand new padding that had been put into the seats before we left.

Such cute little things.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #2004
MdoubleP
Adventurer
 
MdoubleP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 12
Sorry to hear about the injury.

I'm new to this forum and dual sporting in general, and just randomly found my dad on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Sorry to hear of your accident but glad you made it out okay. It is surprising what we can force our bodies to do when it becomes absolutely necessary. I am glad the "accident" didn't happen while on the bike.

Chuck
MdoubleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #2005
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
oobus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: In the orchard
Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdoubleP View Post
Sorry to hear about the injury.

I'm new to this forum and dual sporting in general, and just randomly found my dad on the Internet.



Your dad is great fun, but the question is: can you keep up with him on a bike? I can't!

Welcome!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #2006
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 426
Who's your daddy

I hope I am not missing something. He must be fast and not stay in one spot to long. 33 years is a lot to miss out on. Better get that 525 if you are going to catch him.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #2007
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS
 
Swashplate's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Reno/Tahoe
Oddometer: 1,196
Ya'll are invited to: LINKY (sign up/info page)





In the tradition of BYOB and Laurel Fork
Presenting


1st Annual Sagebrush Ballyhoo


Why:

Ride, Eat, Drink, Sleep & Repeat in the Northern Western Nevada/Northeastern California Area

When:

September 12-14

Where:

Taylorsville, CA

Google Map

Google Street View




Things to know:
The Reno Ride 200 and the Reno Air Races are
on the same weekend, if you want to head over
there for the day and come back to camp in
Taylorsville and have a few beverages, that's cool.

Food close by for those who do not want to cook

Fuel in Greenville or Quincy

Bar close for obvious reasons (Taylorsville bar. It's just
over 1/2 a mile from the campsite. Not crawling distance
but an easy and flat walk.)

Accessible for all styles of bikes (Street, Touring, Adventure, DualSport)
-------------------------------------
ASPER THE WEBSITE...
http://indianvalleychamber.snappages.com/Camping.htm

Taylorsville Campground
The Taylorsville County Park and Campground is located 1/2 mile east of
Taylorsville past Indian Creek, right across from the Indian Valley Riding
and Roping Club (Rodeo grounds).

60 + campsites
$14 per night for overnight camping
$75 for group kitchen area use
Coin-operated showers at $1 (quarters)
Showers open 24 hrs per day
Flushing toilets
RV dump station
Tennis court
Horseshoe pits
Beach access for swimming and fishing
Group picnic area
Quiet time - 10p.m. to 6 a.m.
Open April 15 through October 15, weather permitting
__________________
Euphoria is state of mind
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #2008
MdoubleP
Adventurer
 
MdoubleP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Location: Redding, CA
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
I hope I am not missing something. He must be fast and not stay in one spot to long. 33 years is a lot to miss out on. Better get that 525 if you are going to catch him.
Sorry if I wasn't clear with my quote, Hookalatch is my dad. The DRZ is my first dual sport but I've had a couple street bikes in the past. I sold my SV650S in 2006 so I'm a bit rusty. I know better than to try to keep up with people above my skill level, even old farts. I ride at my own pace and get there in one piece!
__________________
2007 Suzuki DRZ400S
MdoubleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #2009
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Hop-Sing's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdoubleP View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear with my quote, Hookalatch is my dad. The DRZ is my first dual sport but I've had a couple street bikes in the past. I sold my SV650S in 2006 so I'm a bit rusty. I know better than to try to keep up with people above my skill level, even old farts. I ride at my own pace and get there in one piece!
MdoubleP, right on. yeah the Hookalatch can ride. and he is a nice guy besides. Sorry you missed a few years. But the present is our present, so enjoy it. we never know how long it will be.

I have recovered enough from my fishing mishap to start thinking about escaping out to the West. Maybe rattle the "Farmers" cage and raise a little dust to settle on their crops.

The ride mentioned above looks good, I am planning a ride that week. I am looking at heading down To Bear Valley. out west of Angles Camp. maybe out hwy 4 through Arnold. I could hit it on t6he way to or from.
.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:22 PM   #2010
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop-Sing View Post
MdoubleP, right on. yeah the Hookalatch can ride. and he is a nice guy besides. Sorry you missed a few years. But the present is our present, so enjoy it. we never know how long it will be.

I have recovered enough from my fishing mishap to start thinking about escaping out to the West. Maybe rattle the "Farmers" cage and raise a little dust to settle on their crops.

The ride mentioned above looks good, I am planning a ride that week. I am looking at heading down To Bear Valley. out west of Angles Camp. maybe out hwy 4 through Arnold. I could hit it on t6he way to or from.
.
What does Hookalatch ride anyways? Im thinking timed runs from Covelo to where the pavement starts up on the way back towards the valley could prove the speediest of the crew on this thread.

I usually camp out at the Reno Air Races but might have to stop by the Sagebrush ballywho on the way home,fun back road from 395 to Taylorsville.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014