Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #31
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,160
I got a price for new parts today, NZ$180 for the new gears out of Japan along with a wait.
Not bad really.

I'm also waiting to hear back from some local wreckers about getting a gear set local and I have had a generous offer from a member in the States who has a complete gear set.
The price is pretty cheap, but again it's the wait.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #32
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
So Grumble will be back on the road again?

Will you stop the oil leak at the same time?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #33
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
So Grumble will be back on the road again?

Will you stop the oil leak at the same time?
Yea mate, Grumble shall live again.

And yea, the base gasket was split in one spot near an oil channel which was the cause of the leak.
So I have already picked up a full gasket and o-ring kit.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #34
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
Yea mate, Grumble shall live again.

And yea, the base gasket was split in one spot near an oil channel which was the cause of the leak.
So I have already picked up a full gasket and o-ring kit.
it would be quite cool if you documented/photographed the reassembly process

I'd certainly be interested
Old 07-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #35
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
it would be quite cool if you documented/photographed the reassembly process

I'd certainly be interested
I had plans to document the tear down more but my 13yo sister wanted to borrow my camera for snorkeling in New Caledonia so I was stuck with my temperamental old camera.

But I will try and do the reassembly completely documented as I have had others asking about it.

One thread I found while looking into doing it myself was Clintnz great thread of his rebuild of the 640.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 AM   #36
kiwibul
Staffy

Oddometer: 88
Deano, if you need to wash up all your motor parts give me a call and i can clean them in our air dry wash at work, any night....
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 AM   #37
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,445
Top gear (5th) failure is common on XT600's, and the DT230 did it to 6th as well. Pulling too low in top is the cause. People think a single should be able to pull low speeds in top gear...you need to change down. They reckon that's why Airheads have the circlip failure too...pulling down too low in top.

It was pretty common for Mitsi's to spin the nut off the overhung 5th/reverse gear as well....when I worked for a Mitsi dealer I was told it was caused by driving around town in 5th.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 AM   #38
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibul View Post
Deano, if you need to wash up all your motor parts give me a call and i can clean them in our air dry wash at work, any night....
Cheers, they've had a light dousing of degreaser and I was planning on giving it all a good clean but I was more thinking of a kero bath.

I'll be happy to take you up on your offer, I'll give you a text sometime later this week mate.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #39
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Great post! How is the rebuild coming?
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:12 AM   #40
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
Great post! How is the rebuild coming?
It'd be coming along better if I wasn't so busy riding the DRZ.

I have got the parts all cleaned up for now, and a mate as soon as it's good to go a mate is wanting to take it off my hands to get to school on next year.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #41
Jeep_Freek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
The hand guards were next, factory Yamaha brush guards had been fitted but these were very very flimsy so some reinforcing was needed:

I removed the bar end weights and welded a nut inside the bar, bent up some 3mm aluminum and bolted them on:

A sleeve spacer was made for the throttle side so the twist grip would still rotate but the bracket is close enough in that you wouldn't notice it at all:

After many thousand of kilometers and quite a few offs (including one by my brother which included replacing the front forks) these simple guards have stood up well, I have not had a single broken or even bent lever and they cost all of $5.
They might not be as strong as Barkbusters but hey, they also don't carry the price tag.

After these mods it was time to really test the bike and see what it could do.
A two day trip was planned including some mud, stream crossings, a bit of altitude, some rocky snow covered single trail and lots and lots of gravel roads.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RG3im-N5lJ8

I spent the night out under the tarp only, curled up in my winter sleeping bag, smoking away and sipping at a flask of whiskey.
It was the best night out I'd had in a long time:
An Ex GF of mine bought an new XT225 because she liked the dualsport idea. I had an XR250L at the time..

Yep.. that Honda took a hit for me. I was doing 35 on it when a car pulled in front of me. $426,000 in surgery\medical in me now. She rode hers to work that day (10-20-06) and I was on my way to ride home with her. Anyways.. to get back on the subject..

Very clever on using the trunk\top box to hold up one end of the tent. Bike camping if fun.. I'm looking forward to doing some more of it.
Buckle up, I wanna try something!
Jeep_Freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #42
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Grumble lives again!

Well it's time to finish up this thread.

A few weeks back my mate picked up the boxes of bits and took out to his place in the outer sounds.
I loaded up the DRZ panniers with all of my tools and rocked up Friday afternoon with the gears (thanks to Kiwibul for helping me out with them) and after a cuppa we got stuck into it.
No pics as I had only this weekend to help him and we were pretty intensely focused on getting it right the first time.

By Friday night we had the gearbox fitted, working and the center cases sealed.
Saturday morning we were into it, taking our time and after a total of 12 hours we had the bike back together without a single issue.
YAHOOO time to fire it up.............wait.........where'd I put the keys?.......damn, still on the bench at home 2 hours away.

So, we figured out how to hot wire a bike safely and fitted a switch for now until I send Paul the keys.

Once done, I hit the starter and she started up first pop like normal, idled happily for 5 mins and then I took it for a test ride.
If anything the gearbox is smoother than I remember it ever was (might have something to do with Kiwibul adjusting float clearance on the gears?) and there were no unusual noises.
SUCCESS!
I'm quite stoked with my first ever motorcycle engine/gearbox rebuild, it was easy with the workshop manual there and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Now that we know it's running sweet and the gearbox has 25km on it, I've changed the ownership over and Grumble is no longer mine.

But I have money burning a hole in my pocket and some big plans for January/February so stay tuned for a new thread coming soon.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:45 AM   #43
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

The old bike never looked so clean:

Old and new, the handover is done: