Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #31
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
OK, OK, The damn harley riders shouldn't have been side by side! They should have been staggered at least! (unless they were LEOs of course) Man, I'll tell'ya, what seems like an innocent post can getcha in a helluva lot of trouble around here.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #32
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Thanks for your concern. Eyes recently checked OK, mid day, plenty of sleep, feellin' good, and paying attention. No drugs or alcohol even though we were driving between Washington and Colorado.

OK, I got curious. I'm on vacation and too lazy to try and post photos. As far as I can figure, the two Harleys were black Road Glide Customs, FLTRXBFDWTFs. (I never have taken the time to figure out Harley's Scrabble Game system.) Some mathematician could take the distance between those two headlights and those of a standard American car, figuring the bikes appeared maybe a quarter to a third mile away and come up with how close the two Harleys actually were. All I know is that I wouldn't want to ride a Road Glide Custom at night on a two lane road without adding some kind of accessory lights.

Be careful out there.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 AM   #33
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
As far as I can figure, the two Harleys were black Road Glide Customs, FLTRXBFDWTFs. (I never have taken the time to figure out Harley's Scrabble Game system.)

All I know is that I wouldn't want to ride a Road Glide Custom at night on a two lane road without adding some kind of accessory lights.

Seriously?

I've read many of your posts and you bias towards HDs is easily inferred.

Why would one need to figure out HDs nomenclature anyway when all the bikes have names. You got it close with the FLTRX but the BFDWTF, does that imply Big Fucking Deal What The Fuck?

There are multiple bikes like HD Road Glides that have dual headlights mounted in close proximity.

All I know is I wouldn't want to ride my Road Glide Custom at night on a two lane road with you coming the other direction.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Twin headlights

Quote:
Thanks for your concern. Eyes recently checked OK, mid day, plenty of sleep, feellin' good, and paying attention. No drugs or alcohol even though we were driving between Washington and Colorado.

OK, I got curious. I'm on vacation and too lazy to try and post photos. As far as I can figure, the two Harleys were black Road Glide Customs, FLTRXBFDWTFs. (I never have taken the time to figure out Harley's Scrabble Game system.) Some mathematician could take the distance between those two headlights and those of a standard American car, figuring the bikes appeared maybe a quarter to a third mile away and come up with how close the two Harleys actually were. All I know is that I wouldn't want to ride a Road Glide Custom at night on a two lane road without adding some kind of accessory lights.

Be careful out there.

Ok I keep trying to give the benefit of doubt... But then you keep removing all doubt.

First they were dressed in black on black bikes that looked like distant cars and the road was black and shimmering. Now it was night out??

At what distance would this look like a car? At what distance would the inch between the lights look like the 4 foot gap between a standard American car's lights? Hint: it won't take a mathematician to figure this one out.

Let's go ahead and do a test. Stand back about 10 feet from your screen, look at this picture and me if you see a FLTRXBFDWTF or a car really far away.

Those Harley riders were basically asking to be run down.
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #35
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
The brain matches complex visual input to past patterns to create a mental model that is simple enough to work with. Trying to understand all the textures of our visual input would just bog our brains down with too much detail.

In other words we see what we expect to see.

I am a strong believer in looking twice to see if I saw what I thought I saw. It's not a guarantee that I won't do what you did. I also like the triangle of light on one of my bikes -- it won't ever look like one headlight of a pair.
I read that study as well. Further into the discussion, they talked about lighting combinations that force the brain to focus rather than insert the expected.

Multi colored lights help, and so does a triangle shaped arrangement of lights. Ideally, a single white headlight, with 2 low mounted amber driving lights.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #36
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
Ok I keep trying to give the benefit of doubt... But then you keep removing all doubt.

First they were dressed in black on black bikes that looked like distant cars and the road was black and shimmering. Now it was night out??

At what distance would this look like a car? At what distance would the inch between the lights look like the 4 foot gap between a standard American car's lights? Hint: it won't take a mathematician to figure this one out.

Let's go ahead and do a test. Stand back about 10 feet from your screen, look at this picture and me if you see a FLTRXBFDWTF or a car really far away.

Those Harley riders were basically asking to be run down.
I'm not sure whether you are suffering from a lack of reading comprehension or imagination, but if you look back you will not find a description of a black Road Glide against a white background from 10 yards away. Here is a photoshop that is closer to what I experienced. I am no computer wizard, but I took a stock photo of a Nevada highway that was similar to the southern Wyoming stretch I was on, photo-captured the rider above and rotated it vertical, and placed it in about the spot where my wife started to strongly encourage me to look the fuck where I was going. There were two bikes instead of one and they were farther away than shown when I made my move to pass. The headlights were more obvious and the motorcycle outlines were less than depicted.

I mentioned night riding because the kind of conditions I experienced are rare but two headlights ahead in the distance at night are common.

I've been accused of an anti Harley culture bias, which has some merit, but there are many bikes with the same headlight orientation including Goldwings, Buells, Triumph Speed Triples, and several others, so the risk is not limited to Harleys. In fact, the Road King's three headlights are about ideal for visibility and not resembling an automobile.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:42 PM   #37
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK, since no mathmeticians have jumped in I will do the work myself. Here is a puzzler for anybody wanting to try. I'll post the answer later.

While driving home through Montana today I figured out how far away the Harley's appeared on that stretch of highway if they were oncoming cars, about 8/10 mile.

Here's the puzzle. A person (me) wants to pass a semi and five cars that are going 65 mph in a 70 mph zone. The cars are following each other and the truck about two car lengths apart. I am following the last car about two car lengths back and, because I am such a careful driver, I want to give the truck a full semi length of space before pulling back in. There is an oncoming car about 0.8 miles down the road probably doing 75 mph. As I pass the line of vehicles I will do 90 mph. Is this a safe pass and what will be the distance betweem me and the oncoming car when I pull back into my lane?

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 11:52 PM
Old 07-21-2014, 01:22 AM   #38
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,151
Quote:
OK, since no mathmeticians have jumped in I will do the work myself. Here is a puzzler for anybody wanting to try. I'll post the answer later.

While driving home through Montana today I figured out how far away the Harley's appeared on that stretch of highway if they were oncoming cars, about 8/10 mile.

Here's the puzzle. A person (me) wants to pass a semi and five cars that are going 65 mph in a 70 mph zone. The cars are following each other and the truck about two car lengths apart. I am following the last car about two car lengths back and, because I am such a careful driver, I want to give the truck a full semi length of space before pulling back in. There is an oncoming car about 0.8 miles down the road probably doing 75 mph. As I pass the line of vehicles I will do 90 mph. Is this a safe pass and what will be the distance betweem me and the oncoming car when I pull back into my lane?
I'd never pass that many vehicles at once - mainly because if I'm looking to over-take them, so is someone else and cagers never expect to be over-taken when they're about to over-take. I'd take them one or two at a time.

Good point about giving the truck space before pulling back in, for all you (or any of us) know, he could be tail-gating another vehicle.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #39
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I'm a bit concerned that my twin headlights might be mistaken for a distant car as well, and I've been thinking of fitting extra lights, although I'm not sure where. On the engine guards would be the most logical place, although I like putting my legs there when I want to stretch them.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #40
Sparrowhawk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I'd never pass that many vehicles at once - mainly because if I'm looking to over-take them, so is someone else and cagers never expect to be over-taken when they're about to over-take. I'd take them one or two at a time.
That is normally the best and safest approach. In this case, none of the cars left any room to get back in at any point along the line. It was an all or nothing decision. The shoulder was wide enough so that if one of the cars decided to pass without warning or looking I could move onto the shoulder to avoid them. Each situation is different and every decision has its own associated risks.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #41
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
Thou dost protest too much..........methinks.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #42
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
It was an all or nothing decision.
And here's your error.

Error that could have cost your and your wife's life.

Like I said, anyone can make a mistake.

But your tries and insistence at trying to rationalize the whole issue scare me a bit.

You fucked the things up. Admit it, accept it and move on.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #43
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Here goes my reading comprehension test....

Quote:

Here's the puzzle. A person (me) wants to pass a semi and five cars... In a 70 mph zone.... because I am such a careful driver, I want to give the truck a full semi length of space before pulling back in. There is an oncoming car.... I will do 90 mph.... How long will it take for my passengers to see their life flash before their eyes?

How'd I do ???
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #44
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:

Correct Answer: Sit back and enjoy the ride without the pass, 5 mph of speed difference is going to make almost no difference in when you arrive.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #45
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
who let this guy in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Correct Answer: Sit back and enjoy the ride without the pass, 5 mph of speed difference is going to make almost no difference in when you arrive.
not...pass?