ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 124
North Illinois DS Track

This is a track that I created for our club's annual dual sport trek. Total mileage for the loop is 165 miles and is best ridden counter clockwise. You can start at the gas station in Mount Carroll at the intersection of Route 64/52 and Mill Street. The staff there has been very cool about parking at the north end if you wish to truck/trailer your bike to town. Best to check with them first though. The track consists of many twisty blacktops, elevation changes, gravel and dirt roads. It is more fun on a thumper but a big adventure bike could handle it with maybe two go arounds depending on the weather. The infamous County Divide road is utilized and I have yet to traverse it on a wet day without being slammed to the ground. In the same exact spot I might add. Along the way you will see; The Blackhawk Battle Field Monument, quaint countryside farms, the spillway at Apple Canyon Lake, Council Hill Station, old churches, swanky houses, warm towns, the Mississippi River, an abandoned rail tunnel, floral, fauna, rural oddities, a ride through a golf course and lakes in the middle of nowhere. Elizabeth has gas and several food options for lunch. Council Hill Station has a limited menu but food is available. It's more of a stop for the vast selection of imported beer and a chat with owners Jaime and Diane. On the right day there also will be music and a barn dance. Yee-ha. Please respect private property, be aware of all traffic and of course the laws pertaining to said traffic and property. Nuff' said. If your fuel range is under 100 miles best to fill somewhere in Galena just to be sure you make it back to Mount Carroll. As always, ride safely and enjoy.

Attached Files
File Type: gpx CouncilHillIllinois.gpx (68.5 KB, 304 views)
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
cheesewhiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
VERY cool.

Is it possible to post a map for us GPX challenged individules?

Thanks!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz View Post
VERY cool.

Is it possible to post a map for us GPX challenged individules?

Thanks!!!!!!

Uh, Colonel Bryan to the white courtesy phone please. How do I best handle this? One could conceivably download the .gpx and open it in Google Earth for a better view with road names. I'll work on this.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
cheesewhiz
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll give the Google Earth a try when I get home.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,334
It will work. Download the track as a .gpx and save it to your desktop, open GE and once it has opened simply drag the .gpx route onto the open GE window.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
It will work. Download the track as a .gpx and save it to your desktop, open GE and once it has opened simply drag the .gpx route onto the open GE window.
Yes, what he said. Thank you very kindly Mr. Charlie for the words of encouragement. I think this is your best option then you can manipulate the data as you wish. There are several apps for a smart phone that can read a .gpx for an in field reference check. Not going to get into the choices here so a wee bit of research may be in order. In the interim here are some more slides of the ride.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
LoopGaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Thanks for posting this route! I'm going to try it out sometime this season.
LoopGaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
cheesewhiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Way cool! The Google Earth method works!

Question: What's the most cost effective way to get this on the bike? i.e. which GPS unit?

Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz View Post
Way cool! The Google Earth method works!

Question: What's the most cost effective way to get this on the bike? i.e. which GPS unit?

Thanks again!

Check HERE. The more you read in the GPS101 forum the better understanding you will have of what you should get for your personal style of riding and what it will cost.

Just remember that in the case of GPS units you truly get what you pay for. Don't buy guided by your pocketbook, you will regret it.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #10
4-s-hsky OP
Just a simple farmer

Sagely GPS advice indeed

Thanks again Sir Charles for the assist. Lots of information right here on our own ADV forum. Charlie brings up a good point. A quality navigation unit is not a place to shave corners. It is your way into the wilderness and more importantly your way out. Choose wisely. More motivational pictures follow.

Raven's Grin in Mt. Carroll

Apple River Fort site in Elizabeth

Back side of former Savanna Army Depot

Old 07-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
DakarGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I did your ride this past weekend. Great route. Thanks for sharing. It's pretty up there.
I skipped out two portions:
1. The 'poor road' - I went a ways down, it is really muddy after the rains, then turned back. I thought you meant 'poor road', not 'no road' I ride alone mostly, so did not want to get stuck without any help to get unstuck.

2. At the bridge with the steel bars preventing access, just after Council Hill. I dropped my bike as I approached the bridge. I might have been going a tad fast, and not realizing there was a steel bar about to impact my chest as I looked up, I might have been a little over amped on the braking action, and lost it. No damage or injury...so no big deal.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/IzzitHey/videos
DakarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #12
Silver dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Did a large chunk with my 4x4. The poor road was good fun. Though I didn't expect it to be that brushy. Will return on Dual sport and complete the route. Very scenic, with artfully crafted rural roads. Would make a great fall color ride thanks for posting.
Silver dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Thanks for the track, a little far north but maybe I'll get up there soon. I like to use http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ for previewing tracks at work or making a quick map, its got lots of tools.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
Double J
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Laugh

Good route! My son is visiting from a Texas and we had a chance to ride this on Monday of this week. Don't get a chance to ride with him much anymore and really enjoyed the day. There is probably every sampling of dual sport type riding on this track and the scenery in this part of Illinois is some of the best. Also, when in Elizabeth, Illinois, don't stand on the pegs to rest your butt, the local police literally hunted us down (circling the block after we parked the bikes to go eat lunch) and jumped out of his car to tell us that standing on a motorcycle is DANGEROUS and to not do it again. I guess when you tip the scales at close to 300 lbs. and are winded running the 10 feet to catch us standing on the sidewalk, standing would be a DANGEROUS activity.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #15
C.John
to DOO or not to DOO

Oddometer: 87
Downloaded the tracks, looking forward to riding the route.
Thanks 4-s-hsky