User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
megapointe OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
1978 Yamaha DT 175 wiring problem

Greetings all. Looking for some help from anyone who is more experienced in wiring than I am. I'm trying to bring back to life a 1978 Yamaha DT175 (my first and only motorcycle). I've got the engine in a lot better shape than it was in and is running well. Now, I'm trying to update the switches due to the old ones being sticky and seemingly not working. Before I get into the details I will say that I've tried posting this thread three times now so if I do not provide enough detail please feel free to ask questions. Also, I want to emphasize the fact that I am a novice and do not know a lot, but I want to learn.

I wanted to give the bike somewhat of a more modern look so I swapped out the old handlebars for some low-rise ProTaper handlebars and bought a new light switch, kill switch, and grips for it. I got the grips on and the Fly Racing Billet kill switch all wired up. I don't know that I wired up the kill switch correctly, but it works. Before the run switch had one wire leading hooking up to two black wires. The billet kill switch came with two wires so what I ended up doing was wiring one of the kill switch wires up to the two black wires the old run switch hooked up to and taking the second kill switch wire and wrapping it around a bolt inside the headlight as a ground. I tried multiple combinations of hookups, but grounding the circuit was what was finally able to allow the kill switch to turn off the bike (which led me to believe I wired it somewhat correctly). Of course, I'm open to anyone's suggestions as to whether they think I could have wired this a better way.

The more important wiring issue I've encountered, however, has been wiring the new handlebar switch that houses switches for the headlight, turn signals, and horn. For your info, here is a link to the same universal switch I bought on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/motorcycle-uni...e+light+switch

For anyone who has looked for or bought a universal light switch, they have probably came across this one. I bought it for its price, its simplistic look, and the fact that it had the switches and horn button that I needed. The only wiring information that came with it is a picture of what wires are meant for specific functions (see the image in the attachments). My naivety led me to be surprised when I received the switch and it had a different adapter from what my old switch hooked up to and the wires were different colors. As a result, I have since tried to read the wiring schematic for my bike and figure out what colors should go to what.

I won't go into the specifics of what works and what doesn't. All I know is that I don't have the confidence that every wire is hooked up to the wire or wires that it should be. I will tell you that I have a new 6v battery for the bike. Before I replaced the switch I could get the high beam headlight to turn on and the running light has a broken filament that needs replaced. With the new switch, the left turn signal light up (but didn't blink) and the right one didn't. I haven't verified if that light is still capable of being lit or if the bulb is burnt. As far as the taillight goes, it is broke and I don't know if that works either.

Again, I want to say that I know some of these lights might need replacing to confirm if wiring is correct. I will ensure in the near future that these are working, but I need the confidence of knowing my wiring is correct and I'm not trying to switch wire to wire hoping that I eventually get it all correct.

This is my first bike and my first time posting a thread to this forum. I'm looking forward to benefiting from the knowledge base out there. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Attached Images

megapointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
megapointe OP
n00b

I realized the image attachment of the bike's circuit diagram was hard to read so check out this link for the same image.

http://s7.postimg.org/btex5wogb/1978...uitdiagram.jpg
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
kruzuki
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Sorry I can't help you out, but a '77 DT175 was my very first bike back in 1980. I learned all the basics of maintenance on that bike, but sold it after 3 months for something a little faster.
Fond memories.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
megapointe OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzuki View Post
Sorry I can't help you out, but a '77 DT175 was my very first bike back in 1980.
Fond memories.
Not a problem kruzuki! Looking forward to the memories to be made on my DT!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
megapointe OP
n00b

Also, take note that there is a "wiring diagram" for the universal switch if you go to the amazon link and flip through the product's images.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
megapointe OP
n00b

...andddd I just realized the switch link didn't have the wiring diagram I was mentioning. Here you go:

http://s15.postimg.org/pqwy17cl7/new...bar_switch.jpg