Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Alpine single track in B.C.

Riders,

There are incredible places to ride in all parts of this blue planet...and I am blessed to be in one of them. British Columbia has mountains, ocean, forests, desert, and some of the best greenery to be found anywhere

About six years ago I was reading a magazine that showcases BC (Beautiful BC....http://www.bcmag.ca/ ) and saw some mountain areas that invited me to learn more about them. The alpine areas described and shown in photos lured me into more research that led to a series of annual rides.

The area was known for wilderness hiking, horse-packing (no, you don't carry the horse...), grizzly bears and some goldmining history.

I was hooked....

the trails tended to be old narrow mining roads that were often reduced to wide single track and often were hiking trails that were 8 inches wide and 10 inches deep....real ruts, you might say.

There are various passes and routes that border on provincial park land, so motorized travel is either rare or prohibited ....

Researching a variety of maps led me to figure that it was a place to be ...and a select group of invitees have enjoyed the area every mid-August..

Every once in a while we need to stop for a break....and diminish our supplies as we see fit...

A trapper's cabin is usually as good a place as any...

And if a trapper's cabin can't be found, a miner's cabin will suffice...

Sometimes the going can get a bit mucky...

But finding an old spot is worth the sweat and wet feet....

If the covered forest trails offer one type of view, they invariably lead to more open vistas....

And if you are lucky, you can see grizzlies down in these bowls munching on the grasses and berries....and when they hear the bikes from a distance, they take off like freight trains...

Now, some cooks keep a close eye on the barbie....others take a more relaxed approach to ruining the burgers....

The campsite has electrical outlets, running water, and a lake 20 feet away....and a lodge 50 yards away with primo bathrooms....the lodge is legendary....

Oh, yeah....back on the trail...

Riding out of this bowl gave us close encounter with a bear after riding impossible stuff until we found a trail out and down...

Mine rails....

The story continues tomorrow....time for my friend's 50th...
Ged

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote