Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #76
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
The only place you'll lose points is on the quick stop for not downshifting to first (since you never upshifted, obviously you can't downshift).
If you don't upshift to second, and therefore you don't downshift to first, you should get points for that. However, those points are minimal. To fail the test you'd have to make far more serious mistakes (or a lot of small ones).

Even swerving the wrong way wouldn't be any points... at least not on a first attempt. If you swerve the wrong way a second time, I'm sorry, but you deserve to fail.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:03 AM   #77
bio388
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
Even swerving the wrong way wouldn't be any points... at least not on a first attempt. If you swerve the wrong way a second time, I'm sorry, but you deserve to fail.
This was a couple years ago, so my memory is a little fussy, but I think it happened like:

Instructor gave us the instructions on the serve course. On first set, we all went right. On second set, the first guy went left and everybody (including me) assumed that we'd missed directions to swerve left on the second set. After the first guy did the mistake, we all leapt off that bridge one after another. The coach didn't stop anyone or even say anything until he was reading off the scores. He was a stickler for following instructions, though. Also, this wasn't a large 12+ class like most. On my weekend, there were only like 5 or 6 of us at the class I believe.

I don't want to turn this thread into a whine-fest. I'm not unhappy about it, it was just frustrating at the time.
bio388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #78
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio388 View Post
Instructor gave us the instructions on the serve course. On first set, we all went right. On second set, the first guy went left and everybody (including me) assumed that we'd missed directions to swerve left on the second set. After the first guy did the mistake, we all leapt off that bridge one after another.
I'm sorry to doubt you, but the eval isn't run twice unless you swerve in the wrong direction. That means if you did it a second time, you had to have swerved incorrectly the first time. So unless you swerved to the same (incorrect) side the second time, you wouldn't have failed.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #79
bio388
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
I'm sorry to doubt you, but the eval isn't run twice unless you swerve in the wrong direction. That means if you did it a second time, you had to have swerved incorrectly the first time. So unless you swerved to the same (incorrect) side the second time, you wouldn't have failed.

I'll defer to your knowledge. As I said, it's been a while. I really appreciate rider coaches. I promise.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #80
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
bio, I realize you're saying it's been a couple of years but what you're saying makes no sense.

Eval is:
Do u-turn box, exit box, do the swerve. If there's a problem with the swerve, you redo the swerve immediately by going back to the front of the line. Just you, not the whole group.

Then you go do the quick stop and if there's a problem there, again you would loop around and go back to the front of the line to redo it immediately.

Then one shot at the curve and you're done with the eval.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #81
bio388
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
bio, I realize you're saying it's been a couple of years but what you're saying makes no sense.

Eval is:
Do u-turn box, exit box, do the swerve. If there's a problem with the swerve, you redo the swerve immediately by going back to the front of the line. Just you, not the whole group.

Then you go do the quick stop and if there's a problem there, again you would loop around and go back to the front of the line to redo it immediately.

Then one shot at the curve and you're done with the eval.

I think the majority of us were required to go around for a second pass. Remember, there were only 5-6 of us. I distinctly remember thinking 'oh, I guess we have to do it the other direction on take 2". It seemed to make sense at the time.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #82
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio388 View Post
I think the majority of us were required to go around for a second pass.
That still doesn't make sense. If you were required to go around again, it's because you swerved the wrong direction (or went too slow). So unless you swerved AGAIN TO THE SAME SIDE, you would have passed.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #83
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Out of curiosity: when someone does an eval exercise wrong the first time, do you tell them WHAT they did wrong before the second attempt?
vaara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #84
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaara View Post
Out of curiosity: when someone does an eval exercise wrong the first time, do you tell them WHAT they did wrong before the second attempt?
Yes, I do.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #85
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, though there are very few conditions that will allow you a second attempt. Too slow, wrong direction, or anticipation in the swerve, and too fast, too slow, or anticipation in the quick stop. That's all.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #86
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,035
I took the BRC with my wife a while ago and I remember there being a point where they said "if you dump the bike, you fail." (In essence, at least.)

Some gal did dump her bike but they let her try the exercise again and she passed.

What up with that?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #87
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
I took the BRC with my wife a while ago and I remember there being a point where they said "if you dump the bike, you fail." (In essence, at least.)

Some gal did dump her bike but they let her try the exercise again and she passed.

What up with that?
During the evaluations-drop the bike=fail. During the exercises, bike drops are something that sometimes happens. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the student continues.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #88
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,607
Virginia advocates (or at least did) that if the rider comes to a stop at the end of the eval, the eval ends. If they drop on the way to the next staging area, or waiting for the next eval, no fail. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #89
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
Quote:

i ask them if they understood the instructions that were read to them.
then say something like now swerve to the right, go a little faster...or what ever the issue was.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #90
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
Virginia advocates (or at least did) that if the rider comes to a stop at the end of the eval, the eval ends. If they drop on the way to the next staging area, or waiting for the next eval, no fail. . ..
Yes, this is still true.