ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #8371
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
West Michigan

Hey Than......Realize I'm late to post.....and not sure about the newer year. I can say that my Vstrom with the stock suspension/chassis settings sits with it's weight low to the rear. Many people drop they're forks as much as 25mm to sharpen the steering. (more weight on the front). I did the opposite, I installed a set of Soupy's adjustable raising links and raised the rear end.

I know this chassis stuff from screwing around with making supermotos turn.

not enough weight on the front.....the tire will skate on decell.......if you go too far,(too much weight on the front) the bike does it again, but it happens at higher speeds (90-100) and feels skittish. You'd have to drop the Vstrom forks by like 2"'s to even approach the unstable/ skittish realm.

If you still have the stock rear spring..... my vote says you need more weight on the front tire. (more rear preload, a new spring, raising links, or drop the front forks). btw - one of my DR650's did this same thing.

I highly doubt it's your steering head bearings. The only other thing it could be.....would be a cupped tire, which you can feel with you hand. ( uneven surface)

loose steering head bearings are easy to check..... support the bike from the middle with a car jack...... grab the front wheel.....if they're loose, you'll feel movement.

my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arctic954 screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 12:34 PM
arctic954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #8372
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

hey Kawasaki Rob......

check out Michigan Engineering. The guy is amazing at sportbike suspension. Been servicing WERA racing for years.....

Old 07-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #8373
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
hey Kawasaki Rob......

check out Michigan Engineering. The guy is amazing at sportbike suspension. Been servicing WERA racing for years.....

Awesome. Thank You.
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:59 AM   #8374
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

West Michigan

hey.....guys name is Bruce.... here's his website. There's not too many guys like this out there anymore. Guys a genius.

http://www.mei-inc.com/machine/

Old 07-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #8375
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

West Michigan

so........I just sold the KTM 200 exc. Think the GSXR is going to get sold too......

thinking about picking up a new Dualsport mount to compliment the Vstrom......

this is what I'm thinking...... 70mpg, 6-speed that does 75 on the highway, fuel injected, 26,000 mile valve checks, 3,000 mile oil changes, and light enough to single track. They're saying they have pretty good suspension out of the box too....

hum........Yamaha WR250R. think it will replace my old DR650 nicely. I'm in the search.....

Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #8376
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,190
WR? That would be my choice. I'm thinking of selling my DR650 if anyone is interested?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #8377
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

West Michigan

yeah.....the other bike high on the list is the KTM 690......but who wants to beat the hell out of a 10k dirt bike. The WR's can be had for 3k right now. Good cheap, modern fun.

are you replacing the DR with anything? Yup.....I liked the power, but hated the chassis..... it's a rubber band, when it snaps....your on your ass.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #8378
galland1
n00b

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
so........I just sold the KTM 200 exc. Think the GSXR is going to get sold too......

thinking about picking up a new Dualsport mount to compliment the Vstrom......

this is what I'm thinking...... 70mpg, 6-speed that does 75 on the highway, fuel injected, 26,000 mile valve checks, 3,000 mile oil changes, and light enough to single track. They're saying they have pretty good suspension out of the box too....

hum........Yamaha WR250R. think it will replace my old DR650 nicely. I'm in the search.....

Rear shock was very bad on mine. Front was good enough for me. Mine had the bad fuel pump. 2008 other than that they are everything they say they are. A fine machine.
galland1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #8379
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by galland1 View Post
Rear shock was very bad on mine. Front was good enough for me. Mine had the bad fuel pump. 2008 other than that they are everything they say they are. A fine machine.

you sell it?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #8380
galland1
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by galland1 View Post
If you get a virgin they don't put enough grease on anything either.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #8381
galland1
n00b

Quote:
you sell it?

Yeah, I kind of regret it. I got a bit bored with the lack of power and a great deal came up on a fresh xr650r.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #8382
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,256

dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #8383
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,256
You have to put some big money into it to get decent power.
If you are ok with that then you will like it.
I like mine but you should ride before buying imo.
My 09 wr250x, its a really nice looking bike but no 450cc.
I still enjoy the bike, it handles fantastic.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #8384
arctic954
Gnarly Adventurer

West Michigan

Think I've come to terms with the 250.......I've had a WR426, and a KTM 450. Always thought they we're too much power. Even the KTM 200 I just sold ......still way more power than what's needed.....

as long as it will prod along at 70mph to get me to the woods (which I'll ride at a moderate 60% pace), I'll be happy.

arctic954 screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 12:37 PM
Old 07-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #8385
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,614
Quote:
Hey Than......Realize I'm late to post.....and not sure about the newer year. I can say that my Vstrom with the stock suspension/chassis settings sits with it's weight low to the rear. Many people drop they're forks as much as 25mm to sharpen the steering. (more weight on the front). I did the opposite, I installed a set of Soupy's adjustable raising links and raised the rear end.

I know this chassis stuff from screwing around with making supermotos turn.

not enough weight on the front.....the tire will skate on decell.......if you go too far,(too much weight on the front) the bike does it again, but it happens at higher speeds (90-100) and feels skittish. You'd have to drop the Vstrom forks by like 2"'s to even approach the unstable/ skittish realm.

If you still have the stock rear spring..... my vote says you need more weight on the front tire. (more rear preload, a new spring, raising links, or drop the front forks). btw - one of my DR650's did this same thing.

I highly doubt it's your steering head bearings. The only other thing it could be.....would be a cupped tire, which you can feel with you hand. ( uneven surface)

loose steering head bearings are easy to check..... support the bike from the middle with a car jack...... grab the front wheel.....if they're loose, you'll feel movement.

my 2 cents

Thanks Brad. I tried it today with the bags empty, and I only got a slight wobble right around 42 mph. I get no wobble with the bags off.

I am supposed to take it to the shop tomorrow, but I think I will hold off and mess around with it a bit myself first.

P.S. I'd buy a WR250 in a second. Those are sweet bikes.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote