Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #721
H e a d N o r t h
(take the high road)

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Odometer doesn't matter. speedo needs to be in kms. most bikes have the enlarged digits in miles and the smaller interior ring numbers in kms.

As for pipes DB level, it depends on the particular agent and the mood he's in.
My experience (2010 import of a 2006 model):
I was prepared to add some stickers to the dash to show KPH (only MPH shown on that bike), but it never came up.

First Ride...EVER!
Jan. 1, 2012
H e a d N o r t h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #722
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
if i bought a salvaged bike with a wrecked frame and found a frame from the usa do i have to go through these steps too?
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #723
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,481
Has anybody imported a motorcycle in the last month or two under the "new regulations"
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=importing

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 11:45 AM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:06 AM   #724
jaydo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Has anybody imported a motorcycle in the last month or two under the "new regulations"
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ight=importing
I just imported a bike on Monday. No problems. I think there is a 180 day extension for compliance with the new rules.

It seems in the future importing will require a broker to file a AES, when purchasing from a private seller.
jaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #725
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydo View Post
I just imported a bike on Monday. No problems. I think there is a 180 day extension for compliance with the new rules.

It seems in the future importing will require a broker to file a AES, when purchasing from a private seller.

implimentaion delayed until Jan 2015. The AES is only one of the problems.

Read the following from the Winnipeg Free Press. Private sales are going to be a problem.

Simply, it ends up being the Canadians' responsibility to make sure AES filing is done, because that vehicle is not going to get into the country (Canada) unless you are provided with an ITN, an internal transaction number," Franzmann said. A potential problem is that to complete the AES filing, the U.S. seller is required to have a federal tax identification number called an EIN. Private individuals in the U.S. might not have an EIN number but, under the new rule, the American seller will have to get one to comply with the AES filing.
That means taking the time to apply to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service, and some private sellers don't want to do that.
"What we're telling our customers is find out if the seller has or will get an EIN number. If the seller won't, don't buy or get your money back," Franzmann said.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #726
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof-lars View Post
if i bought a salvaged bike with a wrecked frame and found a frame from the usa do i have to go through these steps too?
If you are just importing the frame, you shouldn't need all the paperwork required for riding an actual motorcycle across the border.
You will need a bill of sale as they will probably want to charge you the GST on the frame.
Once you have a whole motorcycle put together, it will need fitness certificate (not unlike the inspection certificate needed when selling the bike) depending on which province you live in.

OOPS, just noticed you live in France. I have no idea what the procedures are USA to EU.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #727
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Insurance/Permit requirements

Quick question:

I have just bought a Moto Guzzi Griso in Wa State and would like to ride it across the border into BC.

The bike has valid 'tags' until Aug./15. The seller is letting me use the plates.

Do I merely purchase the 'binder' insurance from ICBC and with the valid Wa plates, ride her across?

Note, I will go through the process of clearing US and Canadian Customs, RIV and CDN Tire.

Thanks Guys.
LVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #728
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
That's what I did.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 AM   #729
v4forever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Lvgs

LVGS,
Just remember that the USBPA needs the faxed title 72 hours before you bring it across. Once you get the email to say you got the go ahead to bring it across, your as good as gold.
I did it at the Blaine truck crossing and it was a walk in the park. Easy-Peasy
Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #730
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4forever View Post
LVGS,
Just remember that the USBPA needs the faxed title 72 hours before you bring it across. Once you get the email to say you got the go ahead to bring it across, your as good as gold.
I did it at the Blaine truck crossing and it was a walk in the park. Easy-Peasy
Thank you both. I have the USBPA email, title, bill of sale and recall clearance in hand. Was hoping to ride, rather than trailer, the bike across.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #731
v4forever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGS View Post
Thank you both. I have the USBPA email, title, bill of sale and recall clearance in hand. Was hoping to ride, rather than trailer, the bike across.
I rode mine from Illinois. Just get the ICBC binders interm certificate and away you go. I also needed a Illinois permit $10 also. Sounds like you are using the previous owners insurance, so you might not need your own insurance or permit.
His insurance should be good in the US and Can.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #732
LVGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4forever View Post
I rode mine from Illinois. Just get the ICBC binders interm certificate and away you go. I also needed a Illinois permit $10 also. Sounds like you are using the previous owners insurance, so you might not need your own insurance or permit.
His insurance should be good in the US and Can.
To clarify, he has no insurance on the bike. However, the plates/tags are valid until 2015 and he is allowing me to use them. I understand that gives me the legal right to ride the bike in Wa state. Coupled with the ICBC binder insurance, I should have the coverage I need.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #733
samslow
always learning

Oddometer: 168
I've been trying to read this thread from start but it just keeps getting complicated and i lose track. I see the rules are changing currently, could someone sum up for me how the process right now bringing a bike over from states work ( as if explaining to a complete noob!) . So far personally i just don't see it as worth the hassle doing it. Especially with the upcoming changes i think ive read about but i may be wrong. Feel free to encourage me. I just keep seeing more interesting bikes over the border rather than here. If its only for the sake of a few hundred or even a thousand bucks maybe i'd buy here for ease but much more does have me looking.
thanks
samslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #734
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
LOL! Sam me boy....welcome to Canada mate!! Its like a giant, friendly (yet somewhat passive aggressive), and frozen onion. So many layers...
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #735
filterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I too have been reading through this thread and not sure if there is an answer to this. Sorry in advance if missed it.

Anyway..

I'm in British Columbia and was doing an extended vacation in California a few years ago. Bought a 05 Honda CRF250R closed course bike from a dealer. Eventually left the bike in long term storage with a friend Cali and brought back all the paper work (reg, bill of sale etc). Had planned on returning to deal with it but plans changed.

Recently a group of friends went dirt biking in the states and while visiting my friend where the bike was stored, talked the guy into letting them borrow the bike.

They than ran into a family emergency and came back to British Columbia with my bike in their enclosed trailer and got through customs with it.

Due to the new British Columbia OHV rules, I will need to register this bike with ICBC at some point and I'm starti9ng to get stressed.

Could someone advise as to what the best way would be do deal with this predicament???

Thanks!