User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
outlaws justice OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Tracy Martin

Tracy Martin (Author of Motorcycle Electrical Systems: Trouble Shooting and Repair) Was hit on his bike Monday Morning at 6:00. Tracy was riding to work (In Maryland) on I-270 when traffic slowed, Tracy slowed down to about 30 but the vehicle behind him did not and was traveling about 70 mph when it struck Tracy ejecting him from the bike. He was knocked out and later came to in the ambulance. He is still in the Hospital, and suffered a broken vertibra in his back and neck, up to 100 stitches in his leg and multiple bruises and cuts. He was wearing full gear including full face helmet jacket, riding pants and a back protector. The helmet and back protector are both credited with his being alive. I am thankful he is alive and doing well.

Bike is completely totaled as well as all his gear.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Tough break.....asshats in cages? Wish him a speedy recovery....atgatt...even when it's hot.
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #3
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,222
Always hate reports like this (especially as a commuter myself), but appreciate you posting the news.
Will be rooting for Tracy and look forward to him posting an update here under his own steam.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Import View Post
Tough break.....asshats in cages? Wish him a speedy recovery....atgatt...even when it's hot.
Inattentive asshats in cages.

I got creamed a while ago in my car on the 405. Car in front of me stopped quickly. I stopped with about 10' between us. Look in the rear view....."he ain't gonna make it."

Guy ABS-skidded into me and hit me hard enough to push me into the car in front.

He gets out and asks if I'm OK.

Gal I got pushed into gets out and says, "I'm glad it's not my fault this time."

Gotta watch the six in these situations. Really unfortunate he got caught like that. Those are some substantial injuries. Ouch.

(Not saying it's his fault, for the record. )
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
fmrmxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
In spite of not being nearly as experienced as many of you, I often find my eyes being naturally drawn to my mirrors anytime I brake hard. Guess that's a good thing.
fmrmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaws justice View Post
Tracy Martin (Author of Motorcycle Electrical Systems: Trouble Shooting and Repair) Was hit on his bike Monday Morning at 6:00. Tracy was riding to work (In Maryland) on I-270 when traffic slowed, Tracy slowed down to about 30 but the vehicle behind him did not and was traveling about 70 mph when it struck Tracy ejecting him from the bike. He was knocked out and later came to in the ambulance. He is still in the Hospital, and suffered a broken vertibra in his back and neck, up to 100 stitches in his leg and multiple bruises and cuts. He was wearing full gear including full face helmet jacket, riding pants and a back protector. The helmet and back protector are both credited with his being alive. I am thankful he is alive and doing well.

Bike is completely totaled as well as all his gear.
I will keep Tracy in my prayers; he is fortunate to have survived.

I-270 is part of my daily commute, and can be absolutely treacherous during rush hour. Many mornings I pass multiple rear-end accidents in the course of my 12 mile journey.

All the best for a fast and complete recovery.

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #7
Stormtruck2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Cry There but for the grace of God...

I am glad he is as okay as he is. I live in Iowa, and commute thirty miles to work and home. Sixty mile round trip. I can/have made the trip in twenty minutes before running back roads. Yes I was hauling arse, but still feel it is safer than the commute many of you face on the coast and in big cities. You folks commuting in areas like that must feel like a frog in a blender trying to stay alive. Out here three cars ahead of you at a stop light is a traffic jam. Stories of riders like Tracy Martin getting injured on a bike reinforces the ATGATT mantra for me. I pray the he recovers quickly with no lasting ill effects. I also pray that this is the last incident he, or any other rider ever has on a bike.
Stormtruck2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #8
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
270 is crazy

I live in Baltimore, use the Inter-county Connector and go down 270 frequently. Cage drivers are aggressive, distracted and stupid. I hope he gets better soon.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Import
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrmxer View Post
In spite of not being nearly as experienced as many of you, I often find my eyes being naturally drawn to my mirrors anytime I brake hard. Guess that's a good thing.
+1 funny....I do that too....
Import is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
jjxtrider
questionable

Oddometer: 445
I had a cager have to lock up his brakes and almost sideswiped a pickup(he started to change lanes but a pickup was next to me in the left lane) in the next lane because he didn't see my right signal and brake lights. I saw him coming fast and was hitting the gas to make my turn early to avoid being hit. He ended up stopping a few feet short and because I was accelerating had enough room. A guy from work saw it happening and thought he was watching me get hit.
Dumb Ass***e cagers ! I always stare into my mirrors when stopping or turning ect.. looking for "that driver".

Wish Tracy a quick recovery !

XT600 x 4, XT660 hybrid, KLR650, XL600 , KTM525, LTR450,
jjxtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #11
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrmxer View Post
If you don't have eyes in the back of your head as well as 3 sets in the front you have no business being on a street bike.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #12
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
If you don't have eyes in the back of your head as well as 3 sets in the front you have no business being on a street bike.
Pretty much. My wife was an adjuster. Her comment: "Shit. Drivers don't see tractor trailers and trains. You think they're gonna see a motorcycle?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre View Post
Pretty much. My wife was an adjuster. Her comment: "Shit. Drivers don't see tractor trailers and trains. You think they're gonna see a motorcycle?
I understand what she meant by this but God I'm bored to listen that someone didn't "see" someone else (be it on a bike, in a car, a semi, a pedestrian or whatever), hence the accident.

If you don't see, you're blind. If you're blind, you can't drive. End of story.

Some individual didn't PAY ATTENTION, didn't look long enough, wide enough, far enough, was distracted, name it, hence the accident.

And please don't quote, again, the famous report/research that explains the SMIDSY thing. The only thing, to me, that this research did is this: explaining, afterwards, why some "not 100% attentive" drivers can't see us.

Explaning why it happened doesn't = a legitimate excuse.

OK...end of rant.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
In MD I would lane-split at the slightest provocation, side benefit is less chance of getting whacked from the rear.

I commuted from either Columbia or from out west coming in on 70 to Columbia for 5 years or so.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
JettPilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post

If you don't see, you're blind. If you're blind, you can't drive. End of story.

Some individual didn't PAY ATTENTION, didn't look long enough, wide enough, far enough, was distracted, name it, hence the accident.

And please don't quote, again, the famous report/research that explains the SMIDSY thing.
It does not matter what you call it, not seeing someone, or inattention. If you are dead, or in the hospital, you wont give a carp about how you label or explain it.

Basically, if people will hit trucks, or a train, they will most definitely hit a motorcycle with much more frequency. Just reality. Given this reality, I would not commute in traffic on a bike, there is just to much out of your control.

Another reality, no matter how good you are, how much you watch, there are times when there will be no way out. If you have to rely on super human skills to avoid accidents, you are kidding yourself, no one can maintain that level of awareness every day, every moment, on every commute. You should always do your best, but honest enough with yourself to know that everyone has good and bad days, moments of inattention and mistakes, even motorcycle riders...

I love to ride, and wont give it up, but rush hour traffic every day is just asking for it. I prefer to ride in a time and place where there are not so many people trying to kill you. If I am going to hang my arse out, its going to be with minimal traffic and in a really awesome place where riding is worth the risk !

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote