Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #46
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
The beer and wings sound good...I bet you passed out pretty quickly in bed that night and slept like a baby.
Sure did!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #47
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Thursday June 12th 2014

I was feeling pretty good about life in general the next morning. Breakfast came with the hotel room, after which I went back upstairs and was texting inmates Cowgirl and Rubyian about where I'd go next. It was half way through my week off and I had taken three days to get to Williams Lake (which would be something 8 or 9 hrs including ferry time if I'd been super-slabbing it), so I didn't think I'd be heading any further north. I had already called work the day before to let them know I wouldn't be back on Monday, though

Someone suggested taking the ferry back from Bella Coola to Port Hardy and I began to look at maps and websites. I had always wanted to go to Bella Coola, but the $300+ ferry ticket put me off at first. Then I realized that although it was sunny and warm that day, the rest of the week was forecast to be wet and I don't like camping in the rain, so I'd end up spending $300 on hotels on the way home anyway. Coincidentally the BC Ferries website informed me that the first sailing of the season would be on 14th, in two days time. Perfect! I began to think also that $300 for a day sightseeing in what was going to be a fabulously gorgeous area that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get to really wasn't a bad deal. The boat left at something like 7am on the Saturday morning so I would have to ride the 6+ hrs to Bella Coola on the Friday and camp somewhere close to the ferry terminal. Great, I could take the whole day to get there and do some exploring on the way. A quick call to the BC Ferries reservations line and..."I'm sorry, there is no space left on that sailing". Not even for a motorbike . Oh well, I'd have to come up with a plan B.

Having checked out I went and loaded the bike and began to think about how much I appreciated the reliability of my KLR. I don't outright abuse my bike but I don't really baby it either, and although I have the best intentions regarding maintenance I do sometimes let the girl down. But she never lets me down, and I honestly can't think of anything that has ever broken on that bike that wasn't my fault. One of the things I like best is that no matter how remote an area I'm riding in I'm never afraid to shut her off to take a photo or whatever, because I know she'll always start. I've had her since brand new (she's an '05), and other than routine maintenance and replacing parts that I've broken, she really hasn't cost me anything.

This thought was on the top of my mind when I hit the button and she fired right up that morning. Having let her warm up for a minute or so I raised the side stand, put her in first, let the clutch out and...the engine cut out. Okay... Fire her back up, release clutch, and...same thing again. Well, this isn't normal. I'm pretty sure I never bypassed the side stand safety switch, but I didn't think that would be the problem because it probably would have cut out the moment I dropped it into gear in that case. Well, I did have panniers and a moderately heavy duffel bag, and I was on a slight uphill so perhaps she needed a little more juice to get going. Alright, third time lucky: start engine, a few more revs than usual as I start to let the clutch out and...the engine dies again.

Wtf? Bike, are you going to fail me for the first time here in a hotel parking lot in Williams Lake? I...hang on, I shut the petcock off last night when I parked the bike didn't I? Doofus! Alright, fuel on this time, engine start, release clutch and...

squonker screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 06:31 PM
Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #48
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
Good stuff Squonker------yeh, I always said if my KLR failed to start I would expect the world to quit turning any second
A lot of people that own pre-08 KLR's don't know they will run just fine if the battery is dead-----or missing. If you can push it----it will run till you shut if off.
The ignition is not 12DC powered.

Glad to hear the road on the East side of Harrison lake has been repaired----I swore the next time I went to BC I'd try it.
Some friends of mine tried it 2-3 years ago but were early and got stopped by snow.

Thanks for the story !!!

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #49
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
SO SO< SO you left us hanging , I can see the glint in your eyeballs from here;

I was all set to get your description of riding down the ''HILL' . On road bikes, a little testy, on that KLR, piece of cake.
If you get her started

That new ferry is to die for , get a trip down to the engine room to see a real set of engines. I took Sandy down and even she was impressed.
good luck,

gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #50
CanadianRocky
Riding since 1968

Oddometer: 342
Nice report and great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Home - East Kootenay Adventure Riders
Getting Ready - Prep for Rocky and Uly

CanadianRocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #51
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
Nice report and great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #52
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
SO SO< SO you left us hanging , I can see the glint in your eyeballs from here;
Me, leave you hanging? It's a first generation KLR, of course it was going to start! Please, a little more respect for my bike

Here I am parked at the hotel just before that little hiccup. Look at the building across the highway behind me - when I said that I rode into town and stopped at the first hotel I saw, I meant the first one I saw that was within walking distance of Timmies. You all knew that, right?

I rode around town a little, exploring, seeing the striking teachers on the picket lines outside their schools, and decided to stop for tea somewhere other than Timmies this time. I found a coffee shop and went in only to find that they sold gems, incense, a bunch of new worldy stuff, but no beverage of any kind. I checked that I hadn't gone into the store next door instead by mistake but no, despite the sign above the store advertising it as a coffee joint it wasn't anything of the sort

No big deal, I rode to another one which actually did sell what it said it sold, walked in, and placed my order. The place was largely empty but there was a guy sitting by himself reading the paper. He'd seen me park right outside the door and started chatting, then when my order came he invited me to sit with him. I'm not the most sociable person but in this case I couldn't think of a decent excuse not to, so I pulled up a chair and we began chatting about bikes. Mike has several and knows all the backroads I could mention - the one that goes from Goldbridge to Williams Lake, the Highline, The Hurley, and he even knew the road beside the park at Pear Lake that had been washed out when I tried to ride down it thinking that it was the road through Jesmond to the Big Bar ferry. He said that you walk down into a valley and that there's a cool old mine down there. He told me that it dead ends, but rather had me thinking that it might be worth a hike one day. Among his many bikes past and present, Mike had a second generation KLR for a while which he said wasn't a patch on the first generation.

Mike is a consultant for pulp mills and has the usual problem of either having too much work and therefore plenty of money but no time to ride his bikes, or no work and all the time he could ask for but no money. We chatted for a good half hour, after which he said that all the talk of bikes had rather made him want to go home, jump on one of his and go for a ride, but that there was a honey-do list waiting for him.
Me: "You only live once"
Mike: "Yes, but my wife lives the greater part of my life with me".

No comment.

I did some banking, rode around a little more, got a hair cut and decided that I had to head somewhere in the direction of home, and headed down the highway a few kilometers to the Horsefly/Likely area. I once went on a date with a girl who then promptly moved to that area. The lengths women will go to in order not to have to date me never ceases to amaze me!

I guess I only took one other photo in Williams Lake.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #53
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

So the plan was to ride to Horsefly and then take dirt to 100 Mile house, but first: procrastination.

I went to Canadian Tire for some oil and a flashlight. While there I managed to help a woman find some two stroke oil for her weed-eater, and back in the parking lot outside two more adventure bikes were parked beside me, a BMW 1100GS and a Wee-Strom. I can't remember where they were from, but they were headed for Alaska. I said that I was thinking seriously about the V2 (the all new 2014 V Strom 1000) and the guy on the Beemer said not to bother, that he couldn't get away from his buddy on the 650. As we chatted and I prepared to set off it began to rain. It was still so warm though, so I had all the vents open on my jacket, with my Frog Toggs over the top.

Next order of business: more procrastination. I went to Tim Hortons for an hour for no good reason at all. And isn't that the nest reason?

It was about 3pm when I finally left Williams Lake, and the road to Horsefly was pretty boring. The rain was becoming worse, too. Horsefly is tiny, and the end of the road. There are probably seven business in town, two of which were shut down. The General Store had an outhouse.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:54 PM   #54
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

The road into Horsefly

Horsefly central. The General Store.

There was a museum in town, but it was closed.

More Horsefly

Not the most obvious place to find a food truck...

Oh, so this is where I am!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #55
YetiHunter
2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer: 74
Enjoying the ride report. I've done some of those roads and seeing the pics makes me want to do them again. Interesting to hear that the ferry was down, it really is worth the trip to cross the river on it.

And yeah, it's tough to get a good cup of coffee in the puddle....but if you look hard enough you can find one.
YetiHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #56
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Thanks YetiHUnter!

I had been intending to post more last night, but was having trouble accessing and posting photos. Let's see whether things work better today.

It really surprised me to learn that there are wolverines in this part of the province, I had absolutely no idea.

I was getting ready to leave outside the store, wondering what I'd let myself in for as the rain really started to let fly, when a local turned up in a pick-up. He asked about my trip and where I was going. He took a look at my rear tire and commented that it had plenty of tread and added, "You're going to need it".

I had a route planned, there are basically two ways that I could have gone, one a bit longer than the other. I intended to take the longer of the two and registering the guy with the pick-up's advice about turning off at KM 45, I set off on the Black Creek Road over the bridge.

Hmm, I had intended to post a photo of the bridge here but I'm still having trouble. Will try again later.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #57
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

The road follows the Horsefly River. It's nice back there, very quiet (I don't think I saw one other vehicle), and there are some pretty properties.

There were many ranches, and the weather was changing all the time. Just when the sky appeared to be brightening in my mirrors I'd ride into more rain.

At KM26 I came to an intersection. If I were to keep going straight, the name of the road changed from Black Cr. Road to Horsefly River Road which confused me somewhat, although looking back on it now I don't know why. It seems pretty obvious today that the intersection I was at was the short route, and because I had already decided to take the long one I'm not really sure why I turned here. But I did. The name of the road I was turning on to was signed as the 500 Road, and that did jive with what my map said.

Soon enough I came to another intersection at a campground and I turned right again, having first explored the camping area.

Does anybody know what this belongs to? Definitely an ungulate, but not a deer. Moose? Elk? It was extremely fresh.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #58
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

At another intersection I turned right again, the signs still saying that I was on the 500 Road. There are also signs saying that road is unmaintained, but it was considerably better than what was to come later on supposedly maintained roads.

After a while I began to have doubts as to whether I was in the right place. There was no real reason for my wondering, but I hadn't seen a sign for a while and I was heading further and further into the boonies. As always I began to wonder about fuel, and how far I should go before I turned back while I knew I could which seems a little ridiculous given that I have a range of over 400 kms. Still, to run out and become stranded out there would pretty much suck.

After what I estimated to be 30 kms since the last intersection I came to another, and turned right picturing the map in my head. Another 5 km brought me to another one, this one unexpected, and I turned right although the signs said that that put me on the 6271 Road. That road was not in my plans. Or on my map.

Every time I stopped I was swarmed by mosquitoes, and there was also lots of bear scat on the road. I began to see a few, including a mum and two Corgi sized cubs right in the middle of the road on a corner - no road sense at all.

This one was interesting. After having hung in the tree for long enough to allow me to get my camera out of the tank bag and snap a shot, it simply jumped sideways onto the tree that had been beside it. I have never seen a bear do that before, or even heard of their being able to.

You can't really tell from the pics I don't think, but in each of the last two shots it is in a different tree.

I came across the Bosk Lake Recreation Site and knew I was on the right track. I'd also seen a big lake on the map called Hendrix Lake, and figured that Jimmy would look after me...

There was even more bear scat now, crazy amounts of it, and I began to see squirrels and rabbits too.

The road began to get faster and faster, bigger and wider. This would indicate why...

I came across this community too, which wasn't on the map. The rainbow on the sign just seems odd out there, I have no idea what this place is about and something told me not to ride in there to take a look. I remain as ignorant about it today as I was then.

There were some pretty major potholes, I was grateful to be able to keep up a good head of steam and fly over them.

From the snowmobile trail machine onwards the road was a top gear job all the way, and as the kilometers began to count down, the last 40 were pretty much all blacktop. Once I got to zero and hit the main road a sign then told me that I still had another 50kms to go until 100 Mile House. I passed through three or four communities but there was nothing about them to make me want to stop. It was starting to get a little late for my stomach too, which was beginning to grumble by now.

The road was intermittently dry and wet, trending towards the latter, although by the time I reached 100 Mile House at 8.30pm it was blue sky. This had been one of the best days riding I've ever had, being out in the boonies not completely sure where I was all the time or whether I was on the right track, in the drizzle, but having the place all to myself - I don't remember seeing one other vehicle between Horsefly and the main road 50 kms out of 100 Mile House.

I had already decided that I'd get a hotel that night despite the blue sky, lazy bastard that I am, and the bike and I were both filthy. Best of all, the hotel was within walking distance of a Timmies

Filthy bike

Old 10-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #59
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Sure do see some neat things while out in the "boonies"! Neat you were able to get this shot! Earlier this year my dog (which looks like a bear cub) chased a yearly Black Bear up a tree just a few yards from our camper. I called our dog off, the bear slide down the tree and scampered off. Cool you got to see this one jump tree's. Thanks for sharing

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #60
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

This is was at the hotel

I cleaned the head and tail lights on the bike and walked over to Timmies for breakfast with my book. It looked like a 50% chance of rain, but by the time I'd finished it seemed the sky may have been beginning to clear.

I studied the map and saw that I had so many choices making up my mind which road to take would be problem. If I went east of the highway there were plenty of dirt roads, but they weren't a million miles from the Jesmond area that I'd ridden through on my way to Williams Lake and I wanted to see something new. I decided to ride to Lone Butte then Bridge Lake and come up with a plan once I was there. I was saddened to think that by the end of the day I'd be closer to home than I wanted to be...

Before leaving I checked over the bike and found that the high beam wasn't working. The Lordco I found in town wasn't able to cross reference the Kawi part number and anyway getting the bulb in and out of a KLR is fiddly. I just left it to deal with them I got home, and since then have found the Certified equivalent that I can get off the shelf at Canadian Tire.