300 mm travel suspension, 21" in front and
270 mm 18 " rear
Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #20883
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
Can some one tell me if the service wrench icon comes on for the first service?
yes it does

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #20884
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
yes it does
Is it set at the factory, or is the dealer supposed to set it as part of their prep?
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #20885
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Is it set at the factory, or is the dealer supposed to set it as part of their prep?
good question.
I think it just comes on based on the odometer.
mine came on around 500 mi (IIRC) and I took it in for service around 1000 mi (dealer said anything between 500 & 1000 would be ok) so went to VT first

picked it up, light off, good to go.

I think it's just a "dumb" light, like my Moto Guzzi had, that comes on at set odo intervals, not a smart light that counts up from last reset... but could be wrong on that.

the other thought is.... can you reset the wrench using Tune ECU? if so, he may have reset it himself

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #20886
Yossarian
Deputy Cultural Attach

Oddometer: 9,628
When I use DealerTool to reset the service spanner, the range in number of miles until the spanner appears again is user-selectable in increments of 100 miles.

For instance, when changing oil, I can set the spanner to appear again in 3000, 3500, 6000, etc., miles from the current odo reading.

I'd be willing to wager that the dealer is putting in a value that they deem appropriate. Whether that's appropriate for you the owner, or for their service department revenue, who knows.

TuneECU will NOT reset the service icon.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #20887
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
good question.
I think it just comes on based on the odometer.
Oh, I'm almost positive it comes on based strictly on the odometer. I vaguely recall the tech at my dealer telling me that he set it to remind me to bring it in around 8k miles, rather than the scheduled 6k, or something along those lines.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #20888
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
I'll change the oil tomorrow, just because. I adjusted the chain today. I'm just curious about the Wrench icon.

First Mod: I pulled out the plastic stop in the fuel filler neck. Some reported having pushed the little bugger into the tank.
Better to have too much slack in the chain than not enough. When a chain wears it doesn't "stretch." What happens is that the rollers wear out allowing overlap that eats up the sprockets when they no longer fall "on center" between the teeth. The distance between the pins doesn't change from wear, the distance between the leading and trailing edges of the rollers change as the bearing surface between the roller and the pin wears. At your mileage I seriously doubt that there is any appreciable wear on the chain.

Again, better to be on the slack side of adjustment than on the tight side. To know for sure, you can use a ratchet strap to compress the rear suspension until the axle, swingarm pivot, and the counter shaft centers are aligned, then adjust the chain to have an inch or so of play. This position is the tightest it will be in operation.

The "mod" to the gizmo on the fuel filler is not really a concern. I don't think that, should it fall in, there would be any issue worth taking this preventative measure. The thing to think of is why did Triumph put it there?

It is to prevent contact between the fuel nozzle and the fuel pump which could eventually cause damage to the pump. Understanding this, I am very careful when filling and avoid putting any pressure on the gizmo, just using it as a guide, as intended, to place the end of the nozzle.

You now have no guide for reference, so take care when filling and avoid letting the nozzle rest on the fuel pump body, as the designers clearly felt it enough of a concern to attempt to prevent this.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 07:41 AM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #20889
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

My fuel tank ring is rattling around in the tank. It's already been replaced once under warranty. At some point, I'll try and fish it out, but won't replace it. I use a McCuff now when filling to prevent the nozzle from going too far down in the tank.

As for the chain, check out the Triumph Service Data Sheet (found it here - http://www.aspowersports.com/triumph..._schedules.htm). One method (which was new to me) was to measure the 20 links along the top of the chain with a weight hanging on the chain. 20 Links should not be more than 319mm. (Though I guess this measures whether the chain needs replacing more than proper adjustment...).

Since we're speaking of service, I'm coming up on my 12k service. I just recently did brake pads and tires. Given that there are very few valves out of spec at the first service, can I skip this step in the service? I can replace the plugs if needed on my own and save some $$$.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #20890
Yossarian
Deputy Cultural Attach

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Since we're speaking of service, I'm coming up on my 12k service. I just recently did brake pads and tires. Given that there are very few valves out of spec at the first service, can I skip this step in the service? I can replace the plugs if needed on my own and save some $$$.
Unless you are uncomfortable with removing the cam cover and at least measuring the existing valve clearances, I'd go ahead and do it while you are in there. I'm of the opinion that if you find any valves out of clearance, it will most likely be at the first check (12K miles) and will probably be stable thereafter. YMMV.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #20891
HerbTarlek
meh.

Oddometer: 38
Is there a Tiger 800 FAQ anywhere? Ive looked and cant find one so I started making my own.

I thought I would share this if anyone needs it.
I plan on using the factory fog light harness with some 2" 10W cree LED lights.

For the plug & connector pins I put this parts list together.

TYCO/AMP 070 SERIES MULTI-LOCK 4-WAY CONNECTORS

-- FEMALE (PLUG): 174922-2(BLACK) ***fog light connector plug***

-- CONNECTOR PINS: 175026-1 24-22AWG or 175027-1 16-20AWG

--------------------------------------------------

And if you want to use the heated grips for aux power. I believe the male (cap) is needed for your accessory.

ECONOSEAL(TYCO) 3 POSITION
J series

-- MALE: 174359-2(cap), 174360-7(lock plate), 173600-1(20-24AWG connector)/171661-1 (digikey.com 16-20AWG connector), 172746-1(wire seal)

All parts can be found in stock at Mouser.com except the connectors noted above at digikey.com, which are stocked as well. Mouser has them too but only in a minimum of 100.

HerbTarlek screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 09:25 AM
HerbTarlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #20892
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
you guys must all be short...

6'2". When in Adventure mode, I always mount via the peg.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #20893
The Haymaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Better to have too much slack in the chain than not enough. When a chain wears it doesn't "stretch." What happens is that the rollers wear out allowing overlap that eats up the sprockets when they no longer fall "on center" between the teeth. The distance between the pins doesn't change from wear, the distance between the leading and trailing edges of the rollers change as the bearing surface between the roller and the pin wears. At your mileage I seriously doubt that there is any appreciable wear on the chain.

Again, better to be on the slack side of adjustment than on the tight side. To know for sure, you can use a ratchet strap to compress the rear suspension until the axle, swingarm pivot, and the counter shaft centers are aligned, then adjust the chain to have an inch or so of play. This position is the tightest it will be in operation.

The "mod" to the gizmo on the fuel filler is not really a concern. I don't think that, should it fall in, there would be any issue worth taking this preventative measure. The thing to think of is why did Triumph put it there?

It is to prevent contact between the fuel nozzle and the fuel pump which could eventually cause damage to the pump. Understanding this, I am very careful when filling and avoid putting any pressure on the gizmo, just using it as a guide, as intended, to place the end of the nozzle.

You now have no guide for reference, so take care when filling and avoid letting the nozzle rest on the fuel pump body, as the designers clearly felt it enough of a concern to attempt to prevent this.
Sooooooo...... long story short, when you doodinkins wear into the thingamabobbies, it changes the circumferential disastometer of the bilingual lines of forcifications.......... you say what any normal biker understands, "my chain stretched."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 PM   #20894
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post
Sooooooo...... long story short, when you doodinkins wear into the thingamabobbies, it changes the circumferential disastometer of the bilingual lines of forcifications.......... you say what any normal biker understands, "my chain stretched."
Well translated.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #20895
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Haymaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Well translated.
Yeah, but if you want to keep the nitpickers at bay on this issue (a hopeless cause I know), just say "it wore out"

Actually, I've never had a chain 'stretch' beyond service limits. Link binding is what's done all of mine in, even the ones that lasted 40 and 50K miles.
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote