ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #20821
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse
 
loxsmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Ex. Little village called Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefeATX View Post
Sooooo...

What kind of motor oil is best?
Love your work Jeff. Cheers from Deadhorse Alaska
__________________
Feb 2014, currently travelling the America's on a Tiger 800XC
Live every day like it's your last, one day you'll get it right!!!

loxsmith screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 10:15 PM Reason: Deadhorse NOT Coldhorse, IDIOT
loxsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #20822
mikeysduck
Slow Ride to Nowhere
 
mikeysduck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Acton Ca.
Oddometer: 218
Question

Can some one tell me if the service wrench icon comes on for the first service? My new used Tiger had 2200 Mi. The PO claimed the dealer performed the first service. He did not provide any documentation. The hand book was not stamped by the dealer. He did not keep the book on the bike.

Any way, the chain was past the maximum recommended slack, he heavily suggested I change the oil ASAP, and gave me oil and a filter. The bike is 6 mo. old this week. I can't imagine the chain stretched past recommended limit, or the oil needs changing, if the service was performed.

I'll change the oil tomorrow, just because. I adjusted the chain today. I'm just curious about the Wrench icon.

First Mod: I pulled out the plastic stop in the fuel filler neck. Some reported having pushed the little bugger into the tank.
__________________
"The Constitution? I'm pretty sure the patriot act killed it, to protect our freedoms" Bart Simpson

14 R1200RT 09 KTM 450 EXCR 75 Norton 850 E-Start It's going to run. I swear! 69 Z-50A Mini Trail with Lights 03 GasGas 280 Pro 03 CRF 230
mikeysduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #20823
ElJefeATX
Morally correct
 
ElJefeATX's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: On your ignore list
Oddometer: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by loxsmith View Post
Love your work Jeff. Cheers from Deadhorse Alaska

You made it!

ElJefeATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM   #20824
Ghostbrother
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ghostbrother's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Southisland Stockholm
Oddometer: 105


300 mm travel suspension, 21" in front and
270 mm 18 " rear
__________________
"IP-Rider"
Is there life before death ... I believe that.... RW Offroad
Ghostbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #20825
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
Can some one tell me if the service wrench icon comes on for the first service?
yes it does
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #20826
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
yes it does
Is it set at the factory, or is the dealer supposed to set it as part of their prep?
__________________
-Lee
NE ADV Event Calendar (Request Additions here.)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 AM   #20827
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Is it set at the factory, or is the dealer supposed to set it as part of their prep?
good question.
I think it just comes on based on the odometer.
mine came on around 500 mi (IIRC) and I took it in for service around 1000 mi (dealer said anything between 500 & 1000 would be ok) so went to VT first

picked it up, light off, good to go.

I think it's just a "dumb" light, like my Moto Guzzi had, that comes on at set odo intervals, not a smart light that counts up from last reset... but could be wrong on that.

the other thought is.... can you reset the wrench using Tune ECU? if so, he may have reset it himself
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #20828
Yossarian
Deputy Cultural Attach
 
Yossarian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,638
When I use DealerTool to reset the service spanner, the range in number of miles until the spanner appears again is user-selectable in increments of 100 miles.

For instance, when changing oil, I can set the spanner to appear again in 3000, 3500, 6000, etc., miles from the current odo reading.

I'd be willing to wager that the dealer is putting in a value that they deem appropriate. Whether that's appropriate for you the owner, or for their service department revenue, who knows.

TuneECU will NOT reset the service icon.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #20829
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
good question.
I think it just comes on based on the odometer.
Oh, I'm almost positive it comes on based strictly on the odometer. I vaguely recall the tech at my dealer telling me that he set it to remind me to bring it in around 8k miles, rather than the scheduled 6k, or something along those lines.
__________________
-Lee
NE ADV Event Calendar (Request Additions here.)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #20830
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles
 
MotoTex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Tool Shed
Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysduck View Post
I'll change the oil tomorrow, just because. I adjusted the chain today. I'm just curious about the Wrench icon.

First Mod: I pulled out the plastic stop in the fuel filler neck. Some reported having pushed the little bugger into the tank.
Better to have too much slack in the chain than not enough. When a chain wears it doesn't "stretch." What happens is that the rollers wear out allowing overlap that eats up the sprockets when they no longer fall "on center" between the teeth. The distance between the pins doesn't change from wear, the distance between the leading and trailing edges of the rollers change as the bearing surface between the roller and the pin wears. At your mileage I seriously doubt that there is any appreciable wear on the chain.

Again, better to be on the slack side of adjustment than on the tight side. To know for sure, you can use a ratchet strap to compress the rear suspension until the axle, swingarm pivot, and the counter shaft centers are aligned, then adjust the chain to have an inch or so of play. This position is the tightest it will be in operation.

The "mod" to the gizmo on the fuel filler is not really a concern. I don't think that, should it fall in, there would be any issue worth taking this preventative measure. The thing to think of is why did Triumph put it there?

It is to prevent contact between the fuel nozzle and the fuel pump which could eventually cause damage to the pump. Understanding this, I am very careful when filling and avoid putting any pressure on the gizmo, just using it as a guide, as intended, to place the end of the nozzle.

You now have no guide for reference, so take care when filling and avoid letting the nozzle rest on the fuel pump body, as the designers clearly felt it enough of a concern to attempt to prevent this.
__________________

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.


MotoTex screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 07:41 AM
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:46 AM   #20831
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,863
My fuel tank ring is rattling around in the tank. It's already been replaced once under warranty. At some point, I'll try and fish it out, but won't replace it. I use a McCuff now when filling to prevent the nozzle from going too far down in the tank.

As for the chain, check out the Triumph Service Data Sheet (found it here - http://www.aspowersports.com/triumph..._schedules.htm). One method (which was new to me) was to measure the 20 links along the top of the chain with a weight hanging on the chain. 20 Links should not be more than 319mm. (Though I guess this measures whether the chain needs replacing more than proper adjustment...).

Since we're speaking of service, I'm coming up on my 12k service. I just recently did brake pads and tires. Given that there are very few valves out of spec at the first service, can I skip this step in the service? I can replace the plugs if needed on my own and save some $$$.
__________________
-Lee
NE ADV Event Calendar (Request Additions here.)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:55 AM   #20832
Yossarian
Deputy Cultural Attach
 
Yossarian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: the 'Ha
Oddometer: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Since we're speaking of service, I'm coming up on my 12k service. I just recently did brake pads and tires. Given that there are very few valves out of spec at the first service, can I skip this step in the service? I can replace the plugs if needed on my own and save some $$$.
Unless you are uncomfortable with removing the cam cover and at least measuring the existing valve clearances, I'd go ahead and do it while you are in there. I'm of the opinion that if you find any valves out of clearance, it will most likely be at the first check (12K miles) and will probably be stable thereafter. YMMV.
__________________
Successfully surviving motorcycling since 1976.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #20833
HerbTarlek
meh.
 
HerbTarlek's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: St. Louis
Oddometer: 45
Is there a Tiger 800 FAQ anywhere? Ive looked and cant find one so I started making my own.

I thought I would share this if anyone needs it.
I plan on using the factory fog light harness with some 2" 10W cree LED lights.

For the plug & connector pins I put this parts list together.


TYCO/AMP 070 SERIES MULTI-LOCK 4-WAY CONNECTORS

-- FEMALE (PLUG): 174922-2(BLACK) ***fog light connector plug***

-- CONNECTOR PINS: 175026-1 24-22AWG or 175027-1 16-20AWG


--------------------------------------------------

And if you want to use the heated grips for aux power. I believe the male (cap) is needed for your accessory.

ECONOSEAL(TYCO) 3 POSITION
J series

-- MALE: 174359-2(cap), 174360-7(lock plate), 173600-1(20-24AWG connector)/171661-1 (digikey.com 16-20AWG connector), 172746-1(wire seal)

All parts can be found in stock at Mouser.com except the connectors noted above at digikey.com, which are stocked as well. Mouser has them too but only in a minimum of 100.

HerbTarlek screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 09:25 AM
HerbTarlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 PM   #20834
The Haymaker
Studly Adventurer
 
The Haymaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cowtipping, USA
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
you guys must all be short...

6'2". When in Adventure mode, I always mount via the peg.
__________________
Haymaker who?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #20835
The Haymaker
Studly Adventurer
 
The Haymaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cowtipping, USA
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Better to have too much slack in the chain than not enough. When a chain wears it doesn't "stretch." What happens is that the rollers wear out allowing overlap that eats up the sprockets when they no longer fall "on center" between the teeth. The distance between the pins doesn't change from wear, the distance between the leading and trailing edges of the rollers change as the bearing surface between the roller and the pin wears. At your mileage I seriously doubt that there is any appreciable wear on the chain.

Again, better to be on the slack side of adjustment than on the tight side. To know for sure, you can use a ratchet strap to compress the rear suspension until the axle, swingarm pivot, and the counter shaft centers are aligned, then adjust the chain to have an inch or so of play. This position is the tightest it will be in operation.

The "mod" to the gizmo on the fuel filler is not really a concern. I don't think that, should it fall in, there would be any issue worth taking this preventative measure. The thing to think of is why did Triumph put it there?

It is to prevent contact between the fuel nozzle and the fuel pump which could eventually cause damage to the pump. Understanding this, I am very careful when filling and avoid putting any pressure on the gizmo, just using it as a guide, as intended, to place the end of the nozzle.

You now have no guide for reference, so take care when filling and avoid letting the nozzle rest on the fuel pump body, as the designers clearly felt it enough of a concern to attempt to prevent this.
Sooooooo...... long story short, when you doodinkins wear into the thingamabobbies, it changes the circumferential disastometer of the bilingual lines of forcifications.......... you say what any normal biker understands, "my chain stretched."
__________________
Haymaker who?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventureridemaine/
The Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014