Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #31
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Next time you see it it will have a boss V. Big Dodge is going to work this winter.

Work?

That beast'll look at that plow like a labrador looks at a tennis ball.

Nice truck, man.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #32
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Work?

That beast'll look at that plow like a labrador looks at a tennis ball.

Nice truck, man.

Of course you are right, especially when you consider its role will be to keep only one lot clear.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #33
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Of course you are right, especially when you consider its role will be to keep only one lot clear.

Hey man, whatever justifies the purchase.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #34
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Hey man, whatever justifies the purchase.

Even better the one lot is paying for the plow!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #35
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 956
I also love my 1st gen, it can do everything I ask of it.

in her old man outfit.

in her redneck garb.

what I built her to do.

if a gas truck will do the work for you then it would be best to get one, but when they won't, you have one option.
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM   #36
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenfarmboy View Post
I also love my 1st gen, it can do everything I ask of it.

if a gas truck will do the work for you then it would be best to get one, but when they won't, you have one option.
Damn, that's nice.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #37
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenfarmboy View Post
I don't think anyone is questioning the need for diesel trucks. Mine was real nice when towing 6 or 7000 pounds.

The OP never said that the kid needs to tow anything, just said he wants a diesel. One can only assume that he wants to roll coal.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #38
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker View Post
Damn, that's nice.

+1000

Probably my favorite truck (not including mine), on ADV.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #39
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,898
Assuming the O.P. doesn't really need to pull anything, is there anything that can be done to turn the diesel into an extremely high mpg vehicle?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #40
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Assuming the O.P. doesn't really need to pull anything, is there anything that can be done to turn the diesel into an extremely high mpg vehicle?
It really depends on what motor he buys and how much he wants to spend to save very little. I drive a 2006 dodge one ton 4x4. Without duals. The only mods I have done are 5" exhaust and a Quadzilla MaxMileage. Around town I get around 18mpg if I drive like a grown-up. Highway is a dependable 21.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #41
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker View Post
Damn, that's nice.
Yeahbut the tires on the trailer don't match.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #42
Dauntless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I drove a '97 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins. I towed with it on a regular basis. It now sits at my shop because the rest of the truck is falling apart and I don't trust it. Last year, I bought a 2004 F250 with a 5.4 liter gas motor to replace it. I'm happy with the Ford although I do miss the torque of the diesel when towing something heavy. A friend of mine who owns a good sized landscaping company has been replacing his diesel pickups with gassers. He was getting tired of the huge repair bills on the diesels. I also have a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost. That truck tows better than my F250 and when it is unladen, it's a rocket. I don't haul anything heavy in the bed though, that's where the F250 comes in handy.
Dauntless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #43
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Just as a counterpoint my work Sprinter is an 08 with 396.xxx miles. It's down for the first time since last September for a few days so I'm driving one of the newer ones. It only has 212k.

They get washed often.

In the interest of being candid about a diesel bias...

current family cars:
JSW TDI
Liberty CRD
Dodge W250
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #44
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post

if it is depending on 3 or 4 mpg better than a gas it is not (worth it), but if a guy just wants a diesel, MPG is not an issue.

the VE pumped 2wd 5 spd's will net the most mpg's and more than likely the most built prof.

plenty of guys getting 23-24mpg's out of the old 2wd sticks, the 89-91's without an intercooler with be the best economy trucks, but they lack on bells and whistles.

with an auto you mite get 19 or so with a 2wd and 15-17 with 4x4, the O/ D didn't come into play until 91.5 along with the intercooler and smaller injectors, the first auto's had a 727 with a gear ratio choice on 3.07 and 4.10.

The 91.5-93 A518 O/D trans had a ratio choice of 3.54 and 4.10.
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #45
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Mileage on the new DPF/EGR diesels is shit...all of 'em. I've driven 'em all, and owned two of 'em. Luckily, for the young man mentioned in the OP's first post, you can't even test drive one, for $12K.

I certainly don't wanna' get this thread pushed into CS&M, but...

Sometimes I wonder if we didn't bring this stuff on ourselves. The diesel "Arms Race", that has taken-off since the early 2000's, probably pushed emissions through the roof.

I'll be the first to say that the Nazi tree-huggers really screwed-up one of the most efficient inventions of the 20th Century. And, despite my aversion to conspiracy theories, I oftentimes wonder if all this DPF/EGR/DEF nonsense isn't really a way to kill the diesel motor. Afterall, look at how many stories you hear of certain guys/companies "going back to gas".

However, on the flip-side, I also wonder how much soot/NOx a modern 235hp/460ft-lbs engine, like my ol' 2001 VP44-pumped Cummins, would belch-out. I would bet it's a lot less than a 385/850 motor. I would also bet that the former would get a helluva' lot better fuel mileage.

YMMV...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: