Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #61
wheezyryder
Punk in Drublic

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantajustride View Post
Glad to see the ride report.
It was good swapping stories at Ironton (the bottom of Corkscrew Gulch).
From the pics, I see you found the route over Ophir. My opinion,,, That general area of Colorado is about as scenic as the Rocky Mountain range can get!

Not all who ride a 690 makes assumptions about a girls skills on a big adventure bike. I tip my helmet to you both for taking on the adventure. I'd like to see that dude swap machines, jump on a 500+ lb bike and do the stuff you guys did. Then let's see if he talks shit.

The trip sounds very memorable.

WJR
(Moe)

It was nIce to meet you Moe. After taking a look at your bike I might have to start saving my pennies for one of those 690s. I'll start out by putting up an ad to sell my bike.

"2004 KLR650 for sale. Gently used. Always pampered. Never bashed all over Utah and Colorado. 72k miles."
wheezyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #62
wheezyryder
Punk in Drublic

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post
hi JENNA and Mike ( sorry Mike but I'm not sure if i met you when Jenna was in thunder bay last , I THINK IT WAS YOU ).
loving the report .
most of all i had a great laugh at your attitude towards bike maintenance. i am getting ready to go to MEEKER CO, and you should have seen the " comedy of errors" that took place in my driveway getting one of my 3 AFRICA twins ready for the trip. let's just say that i took 3 running bikes and in one day i had 3 non useable bikes.
it's all good now.

thanks for sharing your ride. come back to northern Ontario. you and mike are always welcome

north rider
Yes it was me riding with Jenna in Ontario a few years ago. You're the guy that met us at the border and let me take a quick spin on that DR800 right? If so thanks again for starting us off on the right foot on that trip. That was the first time I was helped out by a stranger from ADVRider. It wasn't the last.
wheezyryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #63
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH RIDER View Post

thanks for sharing your ride. come back to northern Ontario. you and mike are always welcome

north rider
Hey hey, Feliz!!! How it going??? What are you doing in Meeker??? Riding I hope.! Did you end up selling your big DR? Hope the pub is doing well and youre still throwing a great bash at the lake. I will certainly come and visit you when I'm back in Thunder Bay!

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 07:02 AM
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:03 AM   #64
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post

AND?!
Trying to build the suspense here......

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 07-24-2014 at 08:18 AM
Old 07-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #65
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
It's working.
Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #66
ubermick
the n00biest

Oddometer: 160
Hahaha, honestly waiting for pics and updates here is worse than waiting for my wife to get ready when we're going out!
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #67
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
You did enough of that in the first post. Now get on with it.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #68
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Hahaha, honestly waiting for pics and updates here is worse than waiting for my wife to get ready when we're going out!
Dayum.....

I know I know....I can't explain but holy cow, I got home and my life is in a bit of a spin cycle. I just walked Mike through posting pics....so hopefully you'll get something soon. I'll be editing photos tonight...
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #69
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,012
Fantastic! McLuvin' the RR, looking forward to moar

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #70
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Great report Jenna!!

Russ
Tucson
Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #71
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Another Teaser pic!!!!
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #72
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

What do you mean you just came out of the woods???

So, we ended with this.....

We were about 2 miles just outside of Monticello Utah. There was a bit of construction on the road, so people were driving a bit slower than the posted 55. We pushed the bike across the street to some flat ground, but what we really wanted was some shade. Mike made the assumption that the head gasket had gone....I posted a *help* thread in ADV to see if there was any garage space close by to assess the situation.

It was a sunday, the worst day to need moto parts. Mike was still very nauseous and hadn't finished his oatmeal earlier. I ran into town to get water and food and recon was would be useful to us in Monticello. Hondaland was around the corner but closed till Tuesday. I brought back a gallon of water and some sandwiches.

This is what I saw....

We discussed the plan of attack, and tried to keep level heads even though we both were about to blow our own head gasket.... I posted on my *help* thread looking for a head, and google maped directions back to the truck and trailer at Tom's place. What had taken us 2 days to cover off road, I could ride in just over 2 hours on tarmac. That was helpful but a bummer at the same time.

I thought maybe we could get a tow closer so Mike could at least get into in air conditoned wrecker while I went to the truck. Mike tried to call AAA, but his bike wasn't covered. I'm an AMA member which means I get 3 tows a year, so I tried to get us a wrecker. The hardest thing of all was trying to explain to the person on the other end where we were.

"What city did you just come out of?" the woods "What do you mean?? Can you give me a cross street?" no we are appox 2 miles west of Monticello ut on hwy 191 "What is the next city before Monticello?" what does that fucking matter??? Useless if you're in the middle of nowhere....even though out here, this was not the middle of nowhere.

It was over, we didn't have a place to wrench or a head to swap in. I admit that we gave up way too willingly......but we aren't the kind of people with a lot of money or who throw things on credit cards because we can. I had saved for several months, knowing I may come back to no work......

So I began the ride of shame back to Placerville while Mike set up tent city. I left him with a gallon of water, half a subway sandwhich, bag of doritos, and the dromendary I carried with another 3 liters of water.

I hadn't thought about the fact that I had not gotten gas when I came into town that morning for food and water....and it was about to bite me in the ass.

My fuel tank is big....no no...it's fucking enormous. 43 litres around 11.3 gallons....and I run out of gas frequently. I forget to get gas since I can get close to 500 miles per tank....yes I am a moron.

Anyway, off with my shit....tank has 2 fuel valves and the tank goes so low you can't just flop the bike over. I have to take the tank off then slosh the fuel to one side. Done.....

Back on the road...

I made it to Naturita for fuel then on to Placerville. Tom and co. were camping so there was no one to greet me. I took a hose shower in Toms yard. Man that felt good.....then heard my phone ring.

Mike was trying to explain that someone was trying to pick him up and take him home.....sounded like the guy had a bit of a moto shop at home and had a friend that was a KLR guru....."What should I do?" Get in the fucking truck.....now! So he did, I asked for an address ....they couldn't give me one. Being so out in the boonies, an address wouldn't help.

Ok....so first things first....bike on trailer and secured, beer store...STAT Into Norwood for gas and beer....and I don't condone nor apologize......I drank a beer on my drive. I needed it. I began snapping pics from behind the wheel.

Geeze...there ain't a lot to look at out here.

I only had one cd in my car.....Loretta Lynn.....it just didn't fit in with this landscape. So let's see what the La Sals have to offer.

Mountain Chill

I found this station that was awesome and totally fit the mood and landscape.

They were playing non stop drum and bass.....and being from Detroit, it was my jam!

I got to keep listening to Mountain Chill for a good while, but as I neared the border and ascended into La Sals....I lost it.

Even though I asked for GPS coords....I couldn't get my phone to recognize them. And I admit, I couldn't figure out how to enter them into my 60csx. I do really well with written, so after peeing in a ditch, I came into La Sal.

"Geeze, where the hell am I?"

"What the hell....how do you know what's a driveway out here when there aren't any houses??!!!"

"Huh?" I know this place.....

Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #73
XICAQUE
Q' pedo?

Oddometer: 605
Awesome reading! I am dying to learn what happened to that KLR.

LRMC sucks ASS!

Can't stand HD bikes! Loud POSs and nothing but posers.
XICAQUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 PM   #74
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
"Huh?" I know this place.....

Yep, that's a good place.
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT