ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 248 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #11041
faysal
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Okay, after some experimentation, I observe the following:

Any long, relatively simple routes calculated on Basecamp appear OK on the Montana - this does not require shifting between Direct and Motorcycle or vice versa, it works just fine if I create, export, and recalculate the route in Motorcycle mode the entire time.

The moment the route becomes slightly more complicated, especially if it runs through urban roads in close proximity to one another (see attached), i get the same problem again. This is not solved by the above proposal: creating the route in Motorcycling in Basecamp, switching to Direct mode, exporting it, and recalculating under Motorcycle mode on Montana, etc.

In other, simpler words: I can transfer very simple routes, but that's it.

I'm guessing this isn't supposed to happen :( Do you have any other ideas?
Attached Images

faysal screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 06:34 PM Reason: attachment
faysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #11042
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
guess I'm proof positive that they don't ALL recalculate the route and EVERYONE doesn't use tracks. :

Your Montana definitely recalculates the route. Might be the same as what you built in basecamp. But it has been recalculated on the Montana.
OK, didn't know that. I suppose as long as the result is the same I don't much care.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #11043
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by faysal View Post
Hey!

I've attached a sample route, very basic, literally just a proof-of-concept thing. I've done several of these. Each time, the Montana just creates 'branches' off the main route, that then double back onto the main route. It seems allergic to basic connections between via points. Grrrr Why is this so complicated!
I see. It's complicated because you are trying to jam 11 points into too small of an area. The concept doesn't work.

As you leave your start point you can get closer closer to your 4th waypoint than you are to the 2nd. The GPS may assume that you've skipped 2 and 3 and route you directly to 4. Then the road curves and you get closer to waypoint 2... The GPS thinks you skipped that, and will keep trying to route you to #4.

When you leave #4 and head toward #5 you pass close to #7. Again, the GPS may think you skipped #5 and #6 and try to route you directly to #7. #5 and #6 are closer to your end point than any of the other points between. The unit could try to route you directly to the end point.

I don't think theres anything that can be done to support such a route. Garmin has two choices: piss you off by shortcutting points or piss you off by keep trying to get you back on track when you take a detour or pass a point while the unit has temporarily lost a signal.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #11044
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,346
Quote:
Here's the one...
Sorry, only noticed now that you posted the file. Will try it later.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #11045
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
faysal... what map are you using in the floptana for routing?
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #11046
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Okay, after some experimentation, I observe the following:

Any long, relatively simple routes calculated on Basecamp appear OK on the Montana - this does not require shifting between Direct and Motorcycle or vice versa, it works just fine if I create, export, and recalculate the route in Motorcycle mode the entire time.

The moment the route becomes slightly more complicated, especially if it runs through urban roads in close proximity to one another (see attached), i get the same problem again. This is not solved by the above proposal: creating the route in Motorcycling in Basecamp, switching to Direct mode, exporting it, and recalculating under Motorcycle mode on Montana, etc.

In other, simpler words: I can transfer very simple routes, but that's it.

I'm guessing this isn't supposed to happen :( Do you have any other ideas?
When creating the route in basecamp, are you zoomed in far enough to ensure that you drop the waypoint on exactly the road you want?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #11047
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
When creating the route in basecamp, are you zoomed in far enough to ensure that you drop the waypoint on exactly the road you want?
Yes, this is VERY important, as I have learned the hard way over three years!!!

I set start and finish (on a routable map), then check it, then add intermediate via points to get it to look reasonable in BC, THEN zoom in to 800 ft. to .2 mile and go over EVERY part of the route to see if any of the via points or start and end points are even SLIGHTLY off road, on a one way street, or even in the wrong lane of an interstate, whatever.

This usually gets rid of all the backtracking and oddball routing that a HUMAN brain would never do.....Well, at least not a male human brain.....

As has been said many times on this thread, the Montana (and BC) usually do a better job of routing with a minimum number of via points, so the vetting of the route as above for the first time should occur fairly early in the process.

Literally EVERY time I go on a trip, using routes that I have not used for a few years, I have to go through this vetting process. And if the CNNA map has been updated, as is usually the case, at the very least I have to set the route to motorcycle or driving, check it, and then set it back to direct.

I really think I spend more time at the damn computer than I do with the actual riding.....BUT, when the routing works correctly, I have an absolutely wonderful, totally trouble and anxiety free ride! Which is REALLY nice when you are 65 and pretty much done with "adventures"...(in the negative sense).
Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #11048
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Are you guys aware that there's an update to the Montana firmware?

Changes made from version 5.90 to 6.10:

Fixed issue with barometer when auto calibration is turned off.
Fixed missing ascent, descent, and elevation statistics when reviewing certain tracks.
Fixed issue with power off pressure trending.
Fixed issue with geocaching filter when the OpenCaching.com geocaching style is selected.

Use Web Updater to get it.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #11049
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Here's the one...
First problem, you didn't export that file as Direct. If you had, I would have seen your waypoints and been able to edit them in the Route Planner.

The mode you used when you exported only allows you to view map, elevation plot, rename or delete it. Useless stuff.

Direct mode is far better.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #11050
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by enumclaw View Post
Going on a trip with a different bike, and rather than run wiring I am thinking I'll just run off the 3-AA batteries option. I will take a bunch with me in any case, but was wondering if someone had some real world experience with how many hours I can expect to be able to run. I know Garmin says up to a bunch, but what say you?

Thanks.
Lacking any response, thought I'd let anyone who is interested know that running on 3 AA alkaline batteries, the unit had no problem lasting all day. Running in battery save mode, with the screen timeout on 30 seconds. Nice to know, hope it helps someone else. Makes moving from bike to bike a breeze.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #11051
种.
Ajaa kuin mummo

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by enumclaw View Post
Lacking any response, thought I'd let anyone who is interested know that running on 3 AA alkaline batteries, the unit had no problem lasting all day. Running in battery save mode, with the screen timeout on 30 seconds. Nice to know, hope it helps someone else. Makes moving from bike to bike a breeze.
How fast was the battery level going down?

I have used mine when cycling and geocaching but always with the stock battery. Battery drain has been around 10 % / hour. Device in battery saving mode and I haven't used routes, only tracks and direct.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:32 PM   #11052
cypert2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Just bought a Montana 600, my first gps ever. I bought the 24k south central cd and downloaded it with no problem and got it transferred to the Montsna. Now, I've bought the City Navigator cd and downloaded to the computer, but when I try to put it on the Montana it says I don't have enough space for them both. What do I do to get both of them on the Montana? Thanks.
cypert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #11053
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypert2 View Post
Just bought a Montana 600, my first gps ever. I bought the 24k south central cd and downloaded it with no problem and got it transferred to the Montsna. Now, I've bought the City Navigator cd and downloaded to the computer, but when I try to put it on the Montana it says I don't have enough space for them both. What do I do to get both of them on the Montana? Thanks.

Add a micro sd card. 8gb will do but 16's ok too.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #11054
cypert2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Add a micro sd card. 8gb will do but 16's ok too.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Ok,thanks I've got a 16gb micro that I have a track from gps Kevin on. Can I use this same card?
cypert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #11055
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
How fast was the battery level going down?

I have used mine when cycling and geocaching but always with the stock battery. Battery drain has been around 10 % / hour. Device in battery saving mode and I haven't used routes, only tracks and direct.
Honestly, I wasn't keeping track of how fast it drained. I really just wanted to see if it would last on 3 AA batteries for a full day, and it did without problem. I also used only tracks. I would start the day around 7am with it powered up, and no problem running until setting up camp around 6pm.
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote