User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Vt-Stromer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Canadian Cell phone?

My wife & I are planning a trip to Newfoundland in August. I am looking for Cell phone options. I currently have a Net 10 phone. From my research it looks like Net 10 will shut it down if it is used in Canada.

Should I just buy a trac phone at a Wal mart when we get into Canada? We will need internet to activate it which brings up a series of other problems.

Advice welcome.
Vt-Stromer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
How much more / less is it compared to a T-Mobile prepaid account?

I've had a T-Mobile prepaid Samsung dumb phone for, uh maybe 5 years now. I pay $100 annually for 1100 minutes, which roll over when I don't use them up. I don't make more than 45 minutes of voice calls each month so it just plain works for me. (We use FaceTime or Skype most of the time for calls, and SMS or iMessage for the rest) $8 / month for a cell phone is not bad.

Their network isn't bad either. Not as good as Verizon or ATT, but then again $8.

I just checked. T-Mobile charges $0.59 per minute for Canada. FWIW. Maybe the numbers will work for you.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,515
No TracPhones or such in Canada. We suck for that. Pretty well only two cel networks in Canada, the Telus Mobility/Bell and Rogers. If you want the better coverage you'll have to find a carrier that uses the Bell/Telus because Rogers sucks big time when away from the cities.

And Rogers is pretty well the only one selling time to the other carriers that advertise "better rates" so the "cheaper" options in Canada will be on their sucky network.Their coverage map sure is a joke.....
Old 06-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt-Stromer View Post

Advice welcome.
I also would suggest that if you're really not needing to be "reachable" consider not sweating it. Never been to Newfoundland but reading every thread here suggests you'll likely be able to use someones phone if you need to reach home. It is said that these are the friendliest and most giving people in the maritimes.

In NS, I bought a beer for a lady in a restaurant in exchange for shooting a quick e-mail to my wife, and at a few coffe shops have asked if I could make a quick call - never been turned down. I'm all for being prepared, but found this adequate for my needs as I dod not need to be reachable ... but after a few days my wife likes to know I'm alive.

Not a direct answer, but if you don't need to stay connected, then take that as a gift and disconnect for a bit if you can
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 756
Is the net10 thing recent? I also have net10 and we used it in Canada fine a couple years ago. Maybe we were just close enough to the border.

It looks like T-Mobile to go will use roaming in Canada though.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Vt-Stromer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Not a direct answer, but if you don't need to stay connected, then take that as a gift and disconnect for a bit if you can
I here ya. I am not an avid cell user and I will have another WiFi device.

It seems a switch to T-mobile is the way. I'm going to call Net 10 and get the skinny. Do they really want me to switch to another provider just to keep me out of a country I can get to in 2 hours?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Bear in mind that in much of Newfoundland you probably won't have cell coverage of any kind. And when you do, you'll incur expensive international roaming fees.

All of my trips north of the border, my phone gets put in airplane mode, and I just send the occasional email to people when I stop someplace with Wifi.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
Vt-Stromer OP
Studly Adventurer

This looks doable.

http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_pho.../Prepaid_plans
Old 07-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
DrPepperz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
howard forums are your best bet for all things cell phone related and the latest ways to solve this dilema from either side of the forums.
DrPepperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
rnbltt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
We travelled all over Newfoundland in 2012 and had almost no cell service. Locals told us that Telus was the best on the the Island. Bought a prepaid and had good coverage for the remainder of the trip.
rnbltt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt-Stromer View Post
That's about as good as you will get. My friend just bought one on the $35.00/month plan if just for the free evening local calls. And I am also considering getting rid of the landline and switch to the prepaid.

Again Bell/Telus share the same network and are the only network willing to setup towers and eventually cover all the main highways. Work in progress here in the western boonies but they just put up a rather large tower locally and that's something that will never happen with the other network.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,057
If you've got a compatible unlocked phone. Consider "WIND". $40. unlimited everything (talk, Text, Data). Free roaming in US & Canada wide. Just check their coverage map to see if it good for your intended area

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Vt-Stromer OP
Studly Adventurer

Update...

I ordered a T-Mobile sim card for $10. IT was super easy to install and activate. Bought a 1mb unlimited plan for $50. Canadian calls will be $.25 / minute.

Should work for our trip. I'll let you know how it goes.

-j
Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
I would suggest you buy a Virgin pre-paid when you get to Canada. A basic phone that comes with 100 minutes to start (I think) is around $100.
Virgin Canada uses the Bell network which is the best in Canada.
You can send and receive texts as well.

I personally have not had a cell since I retired and I never took it with me on long rides. Part of the charm IMO is that you are totally out of touch with the people who drove you to drive cross country in the first place.

Most hotels have a free computer in the lobby hooked up to the internet. If someone absolutely has to contact you, tell them to send an email and you will call them back the next day.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote