Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 02:35 AM   #241
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,508
Brushes seated firmly with spring tension?

here's what snowbum says about battery charge

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/boxerelectrics.htm

The following are generally accepted 'official' values at 77F:

100% of charge at 12.7 volts and 77F. UNofficially, your battery is PROBABLY going to read 12.55 to 12.75 volts for fully charged, at around 65F, after it sits for a few hours AFTER fully being charged.
The rest of these figures are official ones at 77F:
75% of charge at 12.5 volts
50% of charge at 12.27 volts
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #242
Voltaire
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Light will still not go out, but is not fully bright.

Checked the voltage over 3000rpms and it goes to 14.2 volts then stops. Same as before so charge is going in.

After being on the charger the battery measured 13.4 volts, then after getting rid of the surface charge and fecking about testing shit for a while it has settled at 12.1 volts.

Could it be the battery is on the way out?

The light started going on after riding over bumpy stuff and getting a bit of air. Maybe a connection is loose, but I have checked and put di-electric grease on them all.

Thinking I might pull the front cover and check all the earths.

Diode board and all leads are new, and diode board is solidly mounted.

My R80st started getting hard to start of all places on my Gravel Course in the forest...ended up being towed.
Charged battery but cranking ability dropped off pretty quick.
Fitted Motobatt...the yellow ones.
Its good now but my charge light glows dimly too.
The old battery is now in the Guzzi Monza as its in the round the block pre vin stage.
If you don't know the age of the battery I'd replace it for peace of mind.
Saigon to Hanoi two up on a Honda 150
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1009571&page=2
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 AM   #243
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,508
What happens if you connect another battery to it in parallel li
ke jump starting does the lite go off?
Padmei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:17 AM   #244
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
What happens if you connect another battery to it in parallel li
ke jump starting does the lite go off?
Funny you should mention that.

I hooked up my Powerall jumpstart thingy to it and gave it a rev and the light went off after about 3500rpms a couple of times, then just went back to the way it was. Possibly the wrong kind of battery??

Just read that snowbum guys blurb and am leaning towards a battery issue, but will check the other stuff too, and like Voltaire says a new battery will give me peace of mind considering I do not know this ones history.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 AM   #245
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,109
It's always the battery...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #246
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Fixed.

The green wire going onto the stator housing was loose and the insulation had burned off. Was all new leads when i replaced the diode board so its a bit head scratchy really. Crimped it back on again and all good.

Also found the missing fairing screw in the front housing that I lost last time and spent ages crawling round the shed looking for. Wonder if that jiggled around and shorted on something when I was doing the triple jumps going up the Maungatap? Hmmmm?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #247
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Wonder if that jiggled around and shorted on something when I was doing the triple jumps going up the Maungatap? Hmmmm?
yep....that'll do it alright
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #248
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Trying a new beer at the moment. Panhead APA. Incredibly hoppy, hoppiest beer I have ever tasted. I like hops.

Was filling up at the gas station today and a guy pulled up on an immaculate black HRD Vincent. He came over and started chatting to me about my bike as he has one as well. He probarbly gets sick of getting asked questions about the Vincent.

I think as motorcyclist we are almost hard-wired to drool over Vincents, but every time I see one I am more intrigued than enamoured. Mind you the sound of the one today as it pulled away was pretty cool. First time I heard one running.

Hmmm this beer is quite strong, Probly explains the diatribe above hopefully will stay awake for the rugger. Go ABs.

Todays pic. On my way to get a paper, lotto ticket and fish for tea.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #249
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Trying a new beer at the moment. Panhead APA. Incredibly hoppy, hoppiest beer I have ever tasted. I like hops.
Fookin' A! 4Skins gave me some of that last week. Awesome stuff! Quite a few beers like that around, if you look - or know what to look for.

Last night we did a blind taste-testing night, and all of us failed miserably. But it is incredibly hard to identify a craft beer purely by taste, even limited to those from the top of the south. Best I managed was to virtually rewrite the brewer's tasting notes, but still couldn't name that beer. There were even duplicates of some beers, and they didn't produce the same guesses!!
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #250
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit
Off topic, but is that normal for an airhead? Mine is so much happier on gravel, to the point I am thinking about stripping the front end and checking everything because of its odd handling on the road.

Easter 2013 I rode a well-sorted RaceTech/Ohlins-equipped R100GS to Patarau and back. It was pretty bloody amazing on the tarseal, but not so good on the gravel. It was okay-ish once I started to get used to it, but it has too much mass for tight/rough roads at speed. Adjusting the suspension and tyre pressures to suit would have surely helped. But the point is, GS boxers are road bikes that can do a bit of gravel: they ought to handle the road work well (when not adjusted soft for gravel).

This particular one was such a hoot on the Takaka Hill. The engine, gearbox and chassis are slow and stable, they don't like sudden movements like the 640 does, i.e. not charging in to a corner, popping down a couple of gears, slamming on the picks and chucking it on its side. So it was an exercise in keeping the throttle open as early and as much as possible: barely using the brakes, just cranking it over in to the turns, planning ahead and carving long, long sweet lines. It became a fun challenge to see how long I could stay on the gas, stay off the brakes completely, stay in the one gear etc and just generally minimise inputs other than steering and maximise the speed and flow. Awesome.

Copy and pasted from marlborough thread:

yeah, I think you are right. When i did the loop to greymouth we were just wafting along like you describe and it was indeed a bloody hoot. Generally speaking I don't look far ahead, and make most of my corner decision making at the corner which is easy on the KLR and presumably on most converted trailbike type dp bikes. I do enjoy road riding, which is why I got the GS, but the road is not where I feel most comfortable on a motorbike so maybe some training of some sort is in order. Many crashes offroad over many years has taught me a lot, but that method is not really how I want to learn road riding.

And the GS can do a little more than just light gravel work, it is surprisingly capable on rougher stuff.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #251
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Just did my first oil filter change today. Not the easiest filter change I have ever done I must say. The allen bolts were rounded internally and their is too much shit to remove to get to them. Definitely not the 10 minute job like the KLR.

And the curse of Woodman has struck the BMW.

Leaky friggen fork seal aaaaaaggghhh.
Am I doomed to be always having leaky forks? One good thing is that my boot won't get covered in forkoil unlike the KLR thanks to the sticky out cylinders.

Will see if I can clean them up and do the skinny feeler gauge trick first before ordering new ones. Where in NZ could I get some?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #252
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Just did my first oil filter change today. Not the easiest filter change I have ever done I must say. The allen bolts were rounded internally and their is too much shit to remove to get to them. Definitely not the 10 minute job like the KLR.

Am I doomed to be always having leaky forks? One good thing is that my boot won't get covered in forkoil unlike the KLR thanks to the sticky out cylinders.

Will see if I can clean them up and do the skinny feeler gauge trick first before ordering new ones. Where in NZ could I get some?
Neil at Experience Bmw in AKL will have them in stock. He is a really good guy to deal with and knows the old boxers really well. The others there, not so much. Fork seals are not difficult, just take a little time.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #253
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:

maybe try and land on the rear wheel more instead of the front when ya doing the big jumps mate?
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:41 PM   #254
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
J Definitely not the 10 minute job like the KLR.
10 minutes?
do you include the time it takes to fetch a brew form the kitchen as well?
Old 10-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #255
innathyzit OP
AKA Woodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
maybe try and land on the rear wheel more instead of the front when ya doing the big jumps mate?
Trying to save the driveshaft. I don't trust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
10 minutes?
do you include the time it takes to fetch a brew form the kitchen as well?
Includes the time to pour out all the dregs from the empty oil containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Neil at Experience Bmw in AKL will have them in stock. He is a really good guy to deal with and knows the old boxers really well. The others there, not so much. Fork seals are not difficult, just take a little time.
They look pretty simple, I will try Neil at experience, cheers.

Spent the rest of this arvo chasing a wee oil leak. Thought it was the oil cooler lines, but turned out to be the oil filter cover. The white o-ring didn't have much crush even with the shim, but its all fixed now.