User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
ToySldr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Dropped the bike today...

I just hit 600 miles on my bike today and dropped it at an intersection. In my defense, the road was declined to the left on a curve. When I put my left foot down the slant was too great and the bike tipped over to the left, I should have noticed that at first and put my right foot down and leaned that way.

Luckily it was not a busy road on base on only a lady in a Range Rover came in behind me and asked if I was ok. I stood the bike back up and put it on the side stand. When I saddled back up, the lean to the left was still pretty steep to balance it upright. The only damage was a small scrape to the crash bar and a small scrape to the bottom corner of the pannier.

What could I have done to avoid this? The intersection was on an incline and a slant to the left.
ToySldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
PoolPah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySldr View Post
I just hit 600 miles on my bike today and dropped it at an intersection. In my defense, the road was declined to the left on a curve. When I put my left foot down the slant was too great and the bike tipped over to the left, I should have noticed that at first and put my right foot down and leaned that way.

Luckily it was not a busy road on base on only a lady in a Range Rover came in behind me and asked if I was ok. I stood the bike back up and put it on the side stand. When I saddled back up, the lean to the left was still pretty steep to balance it upright. The only damage was a small scrape to the crash bar and a small scrape to the bottom corner of the pannier.

What could I have done to avoid this? The intersection was on an incline and a slant to the left.
I think you answered your own question. If you know the road slants down on the left, make an effort to get the bike leaned over to the right. Not much else you can do. Glad to hear you came away unhurt. I've "set" my bike down in the same fashion. Hurts the pride more than anything else.
PoolPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
MauiCowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Since I wasn't there I can't guarantee that this would've avoided your drop but one thing you can do if you notice something like this ahead of time is go as far right in your lane as possible and then turn left as much as is reasonably possible at the very end of your stop. However much you can get the bike pointing left, it reduces the left lean some and turns it into more of a downhill.
MauiCowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
As well when you realize you've screwed up and are trying to foot down on the low side, move your whole body quickly to the low side. If you can get your foot well down quickly enough, you've a chance to still hold the bike up, even if awkwardly.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Erik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
I just hit 600 miles on my bike today and dropped it at an intersection. In my defense, the road was declined to the left on a

Is this your first bike?? Are we talking about your First 600 miles ?? If so I'd suggest some MSF Training.. if not then I'd suggest some time spent in parking lots learning slow speed bike control.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,200
Dropping your bike is not a face plant.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Pay attention! This time you didn't notice the slant, next time you may not notice a car a 50mph.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,510
Sorry to hear it. Learn from it.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
I can't say I've ever encountered a normal road with that much bank, you should talk to your local DOT about having it fixed as it sounds like a safety hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Been there, done that...whether it be a kerb maybe, or a spot of diesel on the road, there comes a time in every biker's life when that pesky left foot just doesn't want to plant.

But, on the plus side, you do start to develop a sense of how the ground is before you commit the weight of the bike. And now you've got an experience to learn from :)

Have no fear! There are plenty more to come
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
You just got more familiar with the weight of a bike when it decides it wants to do something you'd rather it didn't. With that under your belt you will have a better grasp of the importance of keeping the bike balanced. Less lean is always better to avoid getting past the point of no return.

ALWAYS plan to put the uphill foot down. That way even if something unexpected happens and you lose balance the bike (and possibly you) don't have as far to fall. Practice putting either foot down as you come to a stop so that it becomes natural to use either.

If for some reason you have to put a foot down on the downhill side of the bike shift your butt to that side first (or quickly as you put your foot down as mentioned above).

Don't beat yourself up over it. It's not all THAT uncommon for folks to drop bikes at around zero MPH. You're not the first, won't be the last. Last time I did it I was coming around a sharp uphill hairpin on gravel and stalled the bike mid turn. The loss of momentum caught me off guard and I had to step off the bike to avoid going down with it. My personal rule - if a bike is winning the battle of gravity don't let it take you with it. :)
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
Pay attention! This time you didn't notice the slant, next time you may not notice a car a 50mph.

Paying attention doesn't mean you know what to look for.
When you make a (harmless) mistake like this use it as a chance to learn what hazards are out there and recreate the situation till you get it right every time. Parking lot practice really does help. Dirt field is even better.

When I started riding I lived where there was a stop sign just before the crest of a hill with a steep drop to the right. If I didn't remember to lean left, I'd end up just like you did.
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
9 times out of 10 I do not put a foot down at an intersection. Balance and knowing the road. Yes, once I got pulled over by a cop and he wrote me a ticket. I made a video of me coming to a full stop from the side (He was way behind) at the same intersection and showed it to the judge and the ticket was thrown out. Nothing in the books about putting your foot down. Practice in parking lots and not well traveled roads.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #14
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
i would say don't put too much stock into it and as said, pay attention. and listen to your better instincts such as not stopping "here or there" and as you said, paying attention to road conditions. or as in cases of stopping or slow speed, the condition of the road. and all its angles and slopes 'n slants when stopping or low speed riding

otherwise it may happen from time to time. even if not a lot of the time. depends on how much you ride. once the bike is past the tipping point (more down then up) and you are on it, good chance its going all the way down before all the way back up. even if you "catch it" bikes can be heavy, unwieldy things to manage from a riders position. and oft times the bike is already on its side before the rider can think "wtf just happened?"

expect it but don't count on it. meaning if and when it does happen don't take it too hard. i learned from experience its just as important to know how to raise the bike back up quickly and safely as it is not to drop it. dropping a bike (or a bike falling over, whichever you like) may occur by "accident." its a matter of physics. but not being able to get it back up on two wheels is not an accident. its something anyone can do

i needed help lifting my bike when i dropped it. that was not acceptable. so now ii know how to lift it if it ever falls over for whatever reason. would hate to drop it on the road at an intersection, but be confident in the fact you can pick it up and its less a worry imo. sounds like you have that much managed, OP

otherwise get some frame sliders and pay attention. none of us mean to drop bikes. sticky soles on the shoes, careful of where you are slowing / stopping / starting on the pavement, and always know what is in front of you, what you're riding on, or about to ride over. even some experienced riders will drop a bike from a perfect standstill sometimes

take precaution and have fun :)
Old 07-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
ToySldr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Bluhduh

This was not my first bike, my first "adventure" bike though. Most of you, thanks for the good advice.... The others, that have never dropped a bike
ToySldr is offline   Reply With Quote