Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #106
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I am empathetic, sympathetic, and polite as a MoFo to anyone who comes on the range as a "student". But I also work very hard to remain professional and reserved. They are not my friends, and I work quite hard to not let them have something they can stab me in the back with later.

Probably that makes me sound like an ass.
It's a shame it has to be that way, but I know what you mean. A significant number of the students don't want to become better riders. They want to be told they are wonderful and leave with an endorsement, no matter how bad they are.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #107
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Today's post is brought to you by the letter S.
vaara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #108
TracerNH
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaara View Post
Today's post is brought to you by the letter S.
Congrats! I survived my first weekend and I am just starting to comprehend how much work is involved in getting that "S".
TracerNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #109
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
We had a great class this weekend. Two no-shows dropped enrollment to 9. The remaining tried the instruction, and succeded. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #110
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
We had a great class this weekend. Two no-shows dropped enrollment to 9. The remaining tried the instruction, and succeded. . ..
Our class of 8 ended up being 7, after one person showed up to Day 1 three hours late (and demanded to be allowed to ride).

The rest of them did really well. Seven [edit: six -- counting is hard!] of them passed. The one who didn't was eager to try again, and no one dropped a bike!

And each of the five RCCs is now a RC. It was a grueling experience, esp. since insomnia struck me the past couple of nights (prior to 6 a.m. starts). But I held it together and am glad I did.

vaara screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 08:17 AM
Old 07-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #111
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Our class of 8 ended up being 7, after one person showed up to Day 1 three hours late (and demanded to be allowed to ride).

The rest of them did really well. Seven of them passed. The one who didn't was eager to try again, and no one dropped a bike!

And each of the five RCCs is now a RC. It was a grueling experience, esp. since insomnia struck me the past couple of nights (prior to 6 a.m. starts). But I held it together and am glad I did.
Well done!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #112
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerNH View Post
Congrats! I survived my first weekend and I am just starting to comprehend how much work is involved in getting that "S".
Cool! It'll be interesting to see how your experience compares with mine. I have to say I really enjoyed the whole thing. But then I had a great RCT and fun fellow candidates to work with -- no difficult students either. I'm sure it'll be different out there in the real world.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 AM   #113
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
Congrats!
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #114
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,829
What's the 'S ' mean?

Congratulations !
Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #115
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

"S" is for "satisfactory." Not very affirming, but I'll take it! (The only other available option is "U".)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #116
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Congrats!!

Quote:
no difficult students either. I'm sure it'll be different out there in the real world.
Be glad... be very very glad that you did not have my class from this previous weekend:
1 non-English speaker
1 experienced person who wanted to complain about the slow speeds and other students' abilities
1 emotional student who cried during exercises 2-4
1 clueless person who could not grasp concepts or follow directions and wanted to argue about everything... it got to the point where I flat out asked him if he had a learning disability because no one else had any trouble understanding that they were to be riding in 2nd gear

9 students... only 6 were successful. The only other time I've had a failure rate that high was in a Ladies Only class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtjoe View Post
What's the 'S ' mean?
S = Satisfactory
At least it was in my RCP. You either got an S or a U (unsatisfactory) for the classroom portions and exercises you were responsible for. I want to say for mine, if you got 3 U's you failed. I had all S's.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #117
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,876
Quote:
Well, he paid his money! And it was just the simple stuff for slow learners that he already knows, because he rode his cousin's moped 20 years ago...

Quote:
Oh, you haven't had insomnia yet. Because no matter how much you were being judged, ultimately, someone had your back.

The night before the first time you have to go out there alone- that'll be insomnia. (Helping!)

Remember- the students don't know you're a rookie unless you tell them; They don't have any notion of how the class is supposed to work, so while you note your minor flubs to improve next time, they probably didn't even notice- for the most part, they're busy trying to keep up with you.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #118
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
"S" is for "satisfactory." Not very affirming, but I'll take it! (The only other available option is "U".)
Now I remember....... cheez

I had 1 u, ( screwed up the turn around on a cornering excersize ) , overall S though.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #119
vaara OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Forgot to mention that we got a first look at the 2014 classroom curriculum. The new books are much improved IMHO, though I haven't yet looked at the DVD with the PowerPoint files (no more live action videos apparently).

Is anyone using the new materials yet?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #120
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Is anyone using the new materials yet?
Yes and no.

One org I coach with switched to the new classroom as of July 1. The other org I coach with will not switch until Jan I believe.

PS I have yet to see the new classroom. I have not looked at any of it. I did skim the book but didn't actually look at it.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote