ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #721
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
So, this is a success story where within a year we were able to partner with a community to expand opportunities to enjoy our recreational interest. It is also a clear example of how important it is to help people understand the facts about who we are and what we do instead of forming judgments based on what they imagine things are like.
Hear, hear!!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #722
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 261
way cool
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #723
reveille
Now 70% Better!

Oddometer: 897
Small world. When I posted my Husky 310 for sale a couple of weeks back, one of the potential buyers lives in Boulder Junction and was really excited about dual sport. We talked at length about the trails in the Northern Highland area and even though he didn't personally buy my bike his friend did! I look forward to seeing the red and white bike cruising around some great trails in the near future. Great story about a great town and some great riding experiences. Thanks Cannon for all you do
reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #724
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,169
The street version of the August American Motorcyclist magazine has an article with comments from the people and organizations that were awarded sound testing equipment as part of an AMA grant. There are quotes in the article from Lobster and myself (Lobajeski and Much).

So far I have been able to run a bunch of sound tests. People are actually pretty anxious to participate just to see where they are at. These have been done on an individual basis or as part of informal riding events.

At a recent informal in Boulder Junction, some folks from the town saw us sound testing and took a few pictures of it. Nice opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to policing ourselves and keeping people within limits.

My experience has been (generally) that many HDs fail and a few racing dirt bikes fail.

It is important for us to keep these meters active at as many informal get-togethers as we can. The clubs are already good about testing formal events. We need to try to work with the people that might never make it to a formal ride and may not otherwise have the opportunity to know where they are at sound-wise.

Increased awareness leads to increased compliance which leads to increase opportunities for places to ride.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #725
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

More guidance from the MI DNR about what stickers you need to ride there. Just buy 'em both and fuhgedaboudit.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #726
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
That's not confusing or silly at all.

I bought 'em both x 3.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #727
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Big turnover in Vilas County this week. The county board held a vote to change their policies about motorized recreation in the county. What happened was that people went to work at the grass roots level to get 9 new board members elected that had a more reasonable view on this topic.

The result is that the county changed their plan. This opens the door for the ATV people to work on some potential trails in the county.

Boulder Junction, where we recently advanced with dual sport motorcycling, is in Vilas County. So is the Central ADV Rally.

Good news for everyone. I expect the antis to respond somehow which may spill over with what we are doing in the area.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #728
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,352
Wow! Awesome! I never thought that would happen...the county has had an anti stance as long as I've paid any attention.

Good job to everyone involved! And as usual, Cannonshot, thanks for being a leader for our community!
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:03 PM   #729
reveille
Now 70% Better!

Oddometer: 897
It will be interesting to see how this evolves and comes to fruition. I'm sitting at a campfire in Arbor Vitae at my dad's place right now and he mentioned he went to this county meeting. I thought to check this thread since you (Bryan) have been all over these things and my dad really wasn't sure how this will evolve. I think this will be a great oppurtunity for the local ATV clubs and the dual sport community to help develop a world class trail system that could connect to some existing trails and open up some great riding for all. Just my 2 cents.
reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #730
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Hard for me to believe that someone that is against ATVs in Vilas County would post a comment advocating throwing nails on the trail.

The Sheriff should have a chat with this guy. A real credit to his cause.

Post #2 to this newspaper article.

"If this occurs it opens up a whole can of worms. Two of my neighbors say theres only one way to handle this nails , nails and more nails. I sure hope it doesnt go through. We dont need this. And we dont need crazy people doing crazy things. So let me get this straight in summer vilas isnt the silent sports county anymore so dont walk your dog down trails or hike or bike and since atvs cant cross lakes they will be on roads which is dangerous to everyone. In fall they will be on the trails I walk while hunting ( great) and in winter they will be on trails with snowmobiles. In spring tearing up wet trails and back on roads. Who are the board members who voted for changing vilas as no longer silent sports county. Frank if you know can you post as I was out of town. Thank you."
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #731
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,697
Nice. talk about showing ignorance in public. Sadly nothing can be done about people like that. Hopefully just a loudmouth who doesn't follow through, but there are enough people out there stringing wires across trails and putting spike strips down that people get maimed and killed every year. Too bad it cant/won't be taken as a terrorist threat and prosecuted

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #732
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,352
Jeeze! Rabid antis.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #733
liveforded
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Dealing with people like the one Cannonshot quoted are the reason I spend most days in Michigan. I have town roads for atv use here in Sugar Camp, but they're no good when they don't really go anywhere. I am definitely pro atv and dual sport trails, but it has seemed like a losing battle forever. On another note; I got my new MI-Trale map in the mail yesterday. Very comprehensive look at the western UP trail system. Lots of interesting pictures and the like in it. Locally, they're only $10, which seems like a bargain for what you get.
liveforded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 AM   #734
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforded View Post
On another note; I got my new MI-Trale map in the mail yesterday. Very comprehensive look at the western UP trail system. Lots of interesting pictures and the like in it. Locally, they're only $10, which seems like a bargain for what you get.
Of course, it is important for people that use this map to know that not all trails depicted on this particular map as open to ATVs are open to two-wheeled ORVs. This is an exception to the Michigan system but it is important for people to know when using the map to plan their trip or otherwise navigate the trail system.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #735
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Of course, it is important for people that use this map to know that not all trails depicted on this particular map as open to ATVs are open to two-wheeled ORVs. This is an exception to the Michigan system but it is important for people to know when using the map to plan their trip or otherwise navigate the trail system.

So what is the logic that's used to justify ATV's w 4 wheels ok, mc's not. Is it just mc dislike and selfishness or ????
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote