ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you always liked the twisties?
Yes, they're the best part of motorcycling!! 92 62.16%
Yes, they're fun but I enjoy other aspects more 34 22.97%
Not always, but I've learned how to manage them well 13 8.78%
They're not my favorite part of riding 9 6.08%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #31
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 407
Uphill or downhill makes no difference to me but I have been riding a long time (over 50 years). Recently though, they just aren't as much fun as they used to be. I think this is because my skills are starting to go as my health fails. Just fact, it will happen to all of us if we ride long enough. Now I tend to take the twisties slower and let the faster guys go around me. I still enjoy them, I just don't challenge them any more. I also ride a slower, more comfortable bike now too, my body just doesn't stand up to riding the bikes I have always loved. Just not ready to give up riding.

Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #32
Staffy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I'm a bit take it or leave it with the twisties really. I much more enjoy sweeping curves and great scenery than white knuckle riding, but that's my demeanor really.

Don't get me wrong, there's times where there's been mile after mile of 15km/h and 25km/h bends doubling back on themselves up through the hills then down again (you get all sorts on a bike trip) but I do those at my pace and I do them in such a way that I can enjoy the ride and not have to worry about keeping up with anyone. In fact a mate I ride with a lot usually takes the lead and I usually catch him up later - that's just the way it is. But we both get what we want out of those roads.

And when it comes to the straight stretches where he's getting bored and riding along the white line to practice his focus on riding in a straight line I'm taking in some of the biggest and most beautiful skylines there are.... and the smells and the sounds.....

I say this because it sounds from your first post that you may be concerned about not being able to ride skillfully enough or quick enough but it's probably more important to know where your limitations are and ride within that. Do look for ways to improve your riding ability but ensure when you do that once those skills have increased that you keep well within them to give you some room to move, just in case.

But that's my $0.02. I love riding for the places it takes me, not the speed or skill at which I can navigate them.
Staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 PM   #33
Sl0rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Tighter corners

I used to find the tighter corners, and especially the downhill tighter corners, the most difficult and disconcerting ones to deal with. I now find them much easier because I realised I was doing one thing wrong.

On tight corners I was tending to look down towards the road in front of me because I felt more like the bike was more likely to slip - I had less confidence in my bike's grip. When I forced myself to look up and through the corner properly, it helped my hugely to take those tighter corners with much greater confidence. I no longer felt like the bike was going to slip, my focus was further out where I wanted to go, and that is where I went.

The old lesson of looking through the corner made all the difference for me on the tight corners just like it does on tight u-turns.
Sl0rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #34
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
I can't find any Advanced Riding Courses nearby but I'm only an hour from Bakersfield so may look into a track day or see what they offer. You're all right, I never learned proper technique on a light bike and I think it's stifling me a bit.
The single best thing I ever did to improve my riding skills was the day I decided to join a club. You got to pick the right club, not a 'boy racer' club, not a slow highway coffee and cake stop every 20 mile club, but one with guys around your own age who have been riding for years and are good riders. You'll learn more from the collective knowledge and experience of riding with a group like this in say a year, than you will in a lifetime of riding alone or just a couple buddies of the same level as yourself.

I'm now ride with 6 clubs or Facebook groups so I can decide to go on a ride nearly any day of the week, any week. Besides improving your skills you meet a lot of nice people. It can take a while to find the right club for you, but they are out there.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 PM   #35
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 125
I don't think a track day will help you much in riding twisties. It will improve your riding some, but it would be better to find a training in the
mountains. It is all about the lines you ride, countersteering and looking in the right direction. Btw I love the twisties, up and down. My wife says: I see you changing your seating position and know you're gone, see you on top (or at the bottom) :)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 AM   #36
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,846
I voted and commented only on the poll.

I read the OP and two stoppers on enjoying any kind off twisty tight roads - attitude and bike.

The original post had an air of attitude like some kid trying to be fed some new food. "I don't want to try it! I won't like it! I know I won't!" Then try to see if others agree.

I can tell you big BMWs aren't exactly the hot ticket for quick twisty roads, no matter what the tests and riders may say. They may work well for what they are, but in tight turns where monster power doesn't mean jack, some light 650 twin will kick your butt. I had a standard Gold Wing, I enjoyed running winding roads, but I guarantee you it's a heck of a lot more fun on an old Yamaha SR500 single when the going gets tight. A dual sport or supermoto single is even better.

Ride comfortable, then push the envelope slightly and work that area to gain skill. Obviously do so gradually, working in steps riding one until comfortable then push a bit more again. Time is no limit, heck one could ride at a level for days, months, years. Stop advancing when it is unsafe and/or not fun.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #37
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,603
Please don't laugh until you try it.

Try switching the engine off an rolling down hill.
You'll find a way to minimise braking and learn to pick the lines that conserve energy.
Hopefully you listen to the road and find the way to let the corner accelerate you on exit.

Now turn the engine back on and try the same hill in a single gear.
You will be well on your way to enjoying the next conventional run with engine, brakes & gearbox.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #38
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Try switching the engine off an rolling down hill.
You'll find a way to minimise braking and learn to pick the lines that conserve energy.
Hopefully you listen to the road and find the way to let the corner accelerate you on exit.

Now turn the engine back on and try the same hill in a single gear.
You will be well on your way to enjoying the next conventional run with engine, brakes & gearbox.
That sounds interesting. I'd try that if there were actually any hills near me that were steep enough to accelerate my unpowered bike.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #39
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
So, I hate twisties. Not the lazy kind that wind through many national parks or foothills, but the supposedly "fun" kind that require yellow-diamond speed warnings. The kind motorcycle folks love to travel to on weekends to rip it up and have fun.

The worst though? Anything downhill. Switchbacks are definitely the worst; I hate the feeling of not being in control, and speed (slow or fast) doesn't seem to make a difference.

I've never had a track day and do want to try if only to practice in a "safe" environment, but I'm hoping y'all have some advice? a lighter bike would make me feel more confident, but I still felt squirrelly in those tight turns especially downhill.

It might help if you told us a little more about the not in control feeling.

It is perfectly understandable that you wouldn't enjoy feeling like you are on a motorcycle that is out of control.

But it is not clear to me why this feeling would be particularly strong for you on downhill switchbacks, or on twisty roads more generally.

I do enjoy twisty roads, and the downhill bits just as much as the uphills. And as I am using the various controls much more on the twisty stuff than elsewhere, I suspect I feel more in control, rather than less, in the twisties.

So, why doesn't that work for you? And if you feel like you are not in control, what would be the consequence of your not being in control? What do you fear might happen?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #40
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
Just buy a 250, you will be GLAD to have a down hill section.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #41
RickB1975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
my best advice

Loosen up... Your most likely just too stiff.

Also, when going downhill, you got to brake earlier. Break well before entering the turn, downshift and sit tall on the bike. Let the engine brake while entering the curve. Once in the curve, shift your ass to the inside of the seat. Too many people just sit on their seat, don't be afraid to slide to the inside of your seat. Look through the apex, then lean into it and accelerate smoothly out of the curve.

I tend to carry more weight on my foot pegs then I do my seat. Hug the inside of the tank when leaning into a curve. Watch some video of the motoGP guys. Watch how much of the seat they use when riding. You really got to use your body weight.

Take it slow at first and learn the envelope of both you and the bike. Ride where your comfortable and in control. The more you practice the better you will get. And remember, it's not a race.

RickB1975
RickB1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #42
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Just buy a 250, you will be GLAD to have a down hill section.
Hear hear.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #43
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
In slow,out fast. Its that simple. Get all braking done while the bike is upright,dont worry about how fast your going,get it slowed and learn the brakes. Last minute leaned over braking is how people crash.

Once in the corner figure out the lean angle and roll the throttle on comfortably,do the corners slow a while just to get the feel.

Once you get it,its the very funnest part of motorcycling!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:21 PM   #44
Farmer Hank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I love, love, love the downhill twisty bits that all my friends freak out on. The skiing/motorcycle technique of keeping your weight forward for control is spot on. I think the dirt motorcycling technique of downshifting to control speed is wrong because the rear wheel has less weight and less traction. It is much easier to skid the rear when it is lightly loaded. Downshifting is a pretty sudden input to the rear wheel and is much harder to finesse than using the brakes gently. Keeping it in a gear or so lower than normal might help to control speed a little, but on/off throttle input will become more sudden.
Constant front brake control is the key for me. Keep your inputs progressive and you'll be fine. Your bike has more load on the front wheel when you go downhill. Using the front brake will transfer even more weight to the front. This increase in downward force will greatly increase front wheel traction (this is actual physics, not just made up internet bs). In this situation, the chances of skidding the front are nearly nil. It is however, easier to do a stoppie and pick up the rear wheel if you apply a major handful of front brake, so keep it consistent and gentle.
The whole slow down and then accelerate through a turn approach falls apart going downhill. Gravity will accelerate the moto all on it's own. Adding additional acceleration from the engine just means you'll have even more speed to bleed off before the next turn. That might work if you are only doing one turn, but when the turns are continual you cannot gain speed on exiting one turn without approaching the next turn too fast.

Farmer Hank screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 06:33 PM
Farmer Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:21 PM   #45
BigWrench
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Basics 1st

Push right-go right. Push left-go left, push further left-go harder left. Look through the curve as far as possible (I know it's not far, but DO IT instead of looking down front). Do all your braking before the curve. Stay forward so you can reach to push the bar far enough to stay in the curve. Start on the outside, inside for the apex, back outside to setup for the next curve. Always let the push (countersteer) set up and control your lean, otherwise you'll be fighting yourself for control. I had had over 15 years riding before I went to a basic riders course and picked up these BASICS. I enjoyed riding before but it's like riding on rails now compared to back when I thought I could lean for a curve and steer for direction. I know this may be stuff you already know and use, but if not and for those who don't use this, Do yourselves a favor and take a good basic rider course or 2 and try this stuff. I'd skip the track day until you feel you could teach the basic rider course. I don't mean to suggest I'm a great rider, only to say I'm very much improved by these BASIC techniques.