ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Durin S Day OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
New rider in upstate South Carolina

Gutan Tag.
I'm a new V-Strom (wee-Strom) owner and new rider. Looking for places to ride and folks to learn from and ride with in the upstate of SC and the near-western part of North Carolina (Ashville, Hendersonville, Greenville, and Spartanburg).

So far have less than 400 miles on the V-Strom. One real trip through Lake Lure and into Ashville and then down through the old Saluda grade back to Spartanburg.

Any one know of clubs or what-not in this area?

Durin S. Day
Durin S Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
Toolman
toolman

Oddometer: 120
Try Dixiedualsport.com, covers the SE and Blueridgepathfinders, covers the Carolina's.

Toolman
KTM 250xcfw
Husaberg 501
Husqvarna 430WR
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
Barkdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
There is some great riding down that way. 178 between Liberty, SC and Hwy 64, 215 going North into Pisgah, 64 going west from 178, 276 (at Caesars Head) are all great roads. There are plenty more in the area.

As far as clubs go, I know there is a sport bike group at Clemson, and I think I remember they were starting up a dirt group around the time I left the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin S Day
Gutan Tag.
I'm a new V-Strom (wee-Strom) owner and new rider. Looking for places to ride and folks to learn from and ride with in the upstate of SC and the near-western part of North Carolina (Ashville, Hendersonville, Greenville, and Spartanburg).

So far have less than 400 miles on the V-Strom. One real trip through Lake Lure and into Ashville and then down through the old Saluda grade back to Spartanburg.

Durin S. Day
Barkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #4
Canned Soup
The Itenerate Engineer

Oddometer: 159
Upstate SC riding

I'm from greenville. Been dual sporting the area for about 4 years. They keep paving my trails but I know a few in NC.
1. Next time you are up near brevard, find pinicale mountin road, where hill top apple orchards is. I goes to 276 above ceasers head. All dirt. The last section from CCC road to greenriver can be bad during the summer. I take a DR then, but the r100gs is all I need in the winter.
2. Down the mtn is greenriver road, cuts from 25 to pinicle. Nice gravel between twisty pavement. Watch the gravel in the corners.
3. If you want to go further, you can start on dirt off of 215 below the BRP and run on dirt with a little pavement to the outskirts of ashville. Forest service roads. can be greasey after a rain but decent. Look for wolf mtn road. a little bit of offroad heaven after all the forest roads.
4. In the fall and spring, the Jocasse wilderness is open to hunters. If you're legal, you can ride the same roads. Used to be serious backcountry but they have shrunk it with gates.
5. I know a few other roads and can point out the FS roads if you contact me off list.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, when I have time, I run up the smokies, off of I40, grab dirt at Harmons den and ride all day. Need a map for that one. Thats what made me go with a big beemer. The husky thumper, no matter how big was too rough for 90 miles one way.
WHo ever mentioned Dixiedualsport was right on. They have a yahoo group and I hear about rides in AL and FL. Not as many folks in SC but NC has a couple of riders.
What do you think of the weeStrom? I'm ready for something modern. KTM and BMW have my attention but swore I'd never get another Italia and KTM is close. The BMW is expensive, and heavy. They have a following and can be snobby. I need a volks bike.
When you went to lure, did you use greenriver road down the hair pins?
ride safe
dave
dave29616@yahoo.com
Canned Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
Dunno about clubs, but I ride around here alot.

Let me know when you're planning to be around, and we'll go after some cool roads.

Congrat's on the new weestrom!
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
kj106
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
your roads are "sehr gut"!!!

welcome to the world of the twisties. My wife and I ride 2-up on a Wee-Strom and we just finished a 7 day stint in the Western NC mountains. You have a great set of roads on which to ride. I am impressed with the quality of the roads in the area. Two roads that I recommend are the road from Cove Creek to Cosby (gravel) and Charley's Creek road. The Charley's Creek road was shown to be a gravel road on my map, but it is completely paved, has lots of twisites (230+ over a 10 mile stretch) and has little to no traffic. Your roads are every bit as good as the Schwarzwald roads we have ridden while living in Basel - you can enjoy European-type travel without spending a lot of money. You do get your fair amount of rain though

Jack
kj106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
Durin S Day OP
n00b

Well, had my best ride so far on the V-storm (as the fellow in the Vance & Hines leathers and Aprilia called it. Didn't find gravel, but that's okay too. I'm still new and it might be better to ease into the gravel.

Left out of Spartanburg and went north on 176 to Hwy 11 and west to take 178 north and then on to 215 up to the Blue Ridge Parkway towards Ashville. Dropped off onto 191 and had something to eat some over-priced pseudo 'tavern'. Then took I-26 back to Spartanburg. Bad wreck on side going towards Ashville( can't ever remember if east or west, dang road seems to go more north south to me, but there you have it....) and there was at least a 4 mile back up. Not much fun for me on the slab.

The windscreen on the V-Strom is either too low, or too high. Above about 45mph it rattles my head, kinda makes you sick to the stomach. I've got it in the highest position, but it did that in the lowest as well. I'll either take it off and see how it works or spring for an after market one that is taller.

BTW, I'm a newbie, so is it normal on the slab for cross winds to move a bike around a lot? Buses and semis will push me over two or so feet as they come by and I've noticed on really windy days, thunderstorms comming in, but not there yet, tend to push the bike a round a lot. Is that normal and I just need to get used to it or is it the fast the V-strom is tall?
Old 07-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,134
It's normal to get buffeting from trucks. I found riding with the proper tire pressure helps a little. It's kinda freaky at first, but you will get used to it. Just don't make it a habit to hang around in back of them. In cross winds you will learn to ride sideways. It's all part of the fun. I alwase suggest new riders take a MSF course. It was the best thing I did when I started riding. You are very lucky, that area has some great roads. I got a chance to check out a few at the Hotsprings rally. Have fun and ride safe!
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
Durin S Day OP
n00b

your roads are "sehr gut"!!!

Yes, they are very good. Another nice thing is most of them are up high and it is cooler weather there. This past week it has been very hot here. Was almost cold when we rode past Mt. Pisgah.

btw, maps from the forest service roads, where do you get those? Is there a resource online?

Durin
Old 07-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
capt_met
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
groups

there is also the smoky_mountain_dual_sport group on yahoo. no fee's, no due's, no t-shirts, just people to ride with from that area that know of a bunch of good places to go.
good luck,
metin
capt_met is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
jfr
yellowwheels

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Yes, they are very good. Another nice thing is most of them are up high and it is cooler weather there. This past week it has been very hot here. Was almost cold when we rode past Mt. Pisgah.

btw, maps from the forest service roads, where do you get those? Is there a resource online?

Durin
Moving to the south of SC and expect to do a lot of weekends in your neck of the woods! I'll be staying at the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campgrounds near Cruso, NC the weekend of Sept. 16-18. Let me know if you are around that weekend and we can hit it! Was planning to bring the R1100S for the asphalt stuff but if you think you would rather do some dirt/gravel I'll bring the 12GS. I'm new to it too (on something this big) and could use some practice.

I have been looking forward to coming down that way to ride for a long time. Can't wait!!
1977 Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo" (Sold)
jfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
JoJo
Looking for dirt

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Gutan Tag.

Durin S. Day
I'm in Greenville also. There is some great riding in this area, both street and dirt, being so close to WNC and NEGA. Metin has mentioned the Smokey Mountian dualsport club, and the Dixiedualsport group has been mentioned too. Both are great "clubs" with great people.

Also check out the Honda Sport Touring Association too. We have a Yahoo group (nc-sc-hsta@yahoogroups.com) with a great group of guys from SC & NC that ride dual sport and street. The Wee-Strom would be a great fit. We're having an event up in Erwin, TN this weekend, the Nolichucky Valley Rally with a lot of dual sports being ridden. PM me if you ever want to ride.

Joe

"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God" - Bumper Sticker
JoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
mhaas
intrpd travlrwanabe

Oddometer: 184
upstate sc rideing

Welcome to the area. We have a slew of d/s riders here but its hard to get any few together at one time. Go see Paul at Greenville cycle supply on Rutherdford rd he's got a Strom and knows lots of roads and has maps to show. Try Willie at Greenville powersports on 29 he knows a bunch of us .
I,m in Easley SC, Im planning to truck my LC4 up to Hot springs next friday night to see what trouble I can get into with this lot.
mhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #14
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,248
Durin,

Watch the threads on Regional/East and you will find more people & roads than you can ride. Welcome !
dlrides is online now   Reply With Quote