Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #241
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,592
I think he passed 4 or 5 vehicles, you know, safely.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #242
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
Usually when someone agrees with me, I stop arguing
not arguing just agreeing that I see both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
You might be surprised at the number of people who don't...
does this multi-quote qualify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaque View Post
Oh, wait... 96 in a 55?!

Yeah, I would have thrown the book at you. Sounds like that officer had every right to be perturbed with your behavior.
haha I am not saying he wasn't within his right. the whole thing started by me asking the other LEO in the thread how he would handle my stop after he shared some of his stops.

I know he had me dead to rights on that stop. I didn't run, didn't lie, paid my fine and surrender my license when the papers came in the mail.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:33 AM   #243
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Fair enough

Carry on
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #244
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Ills View Post
I think he passed 4 or 5 vehicles, you know, safely.
correct. I even used my turn single exiting my lane and coming back into it!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #245
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
correct. I even used my turn single exiting my lane and coming back into it!

Just curious dmax, if the vehicle you were driving hadn't had an automatic cutoff (whatever that is) at 96 mph, would you have gone faster?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 PM   #246
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
Quote:

that first traffic stop was the only time I have been yelled at or lectured by an officer of the law and I have been caught going that fast several times since. maybe he was just having a bad day or thought I was to young to be going that fast who knows.
Yeah dude sounds like he's wound a little tight. Maybe he was having a bad day, maybe he was trying to drive a point home. Either way, sounds like you handeled it well.
ghostryder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #247
DesertTortoise
Freedom Fighter

Oddometer: 150
A question for LEOs, a little long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post

Just curious dmax, if the vehicle you were driving hadn't had an automatic cutoff (whatever that is) at 96 mph, would you have gone faster?

Aaaaand... Did being accused of murder, getting a huge ticket, plus losing the license change your behavior down the road?

My opinion is you should get a lecture or a ticket but not both. Unless you are doing 40 over and are a teenager with teenage passengers. I probably would have found a reason to have it towed home. I think just about every high school class has that wreck where a few kids get killed. Now some states you can't even drive with other teens without a sober adult.
DesertTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #248
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
Aaaaand... Did being accused of murder, getting a huge ticket, plus losing the license change your behavior down the road?

My opinion is you should get a lecture or a ticket but not both. Unless you are doing 40 over and are a teenager with teenage passengers. I probably would have found a reason to have it towed home. I think just about every high school class has that wreck where a few kids get killed. Now some states you can't even drive with other teens without a sober adult.
He actually should have been spanked at that age. Sure he's a better, more cautious driver now.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #249
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Quote:

eh probably not, I was just getting around the last car when the governor kicked in which coincided with him hitting me with the radar gun. like I said I was just trying to get around all the slow pokes at once as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post

not really I have lost my license 2 times in the 14 years I have been driving. had to take the points test 3 times (got stopped on the way to take it one time!) I would not have a drivers license if tickets from other states transferred to PA. I used to travel every weekend for racing and would sometimes get stopped 2-3 times in VA and NC. that's why I never got my CDL, all fifty states transfer then.

my father was a race car driver. I took 3 different driving courses when I was younger not to mention all the winter nights spent with my dad learning the art of limited traction situations out in the mall parking lot.

when I started driving there was no texting or facebooking while driving. to this day I refrain from that crap and pay attention to what I am doing, just like I told that cop. I think its partly why I get so many tickets. I am just driving, not looking for cops and I tend to move at 10-15 over the limit unless I am in a town where there may be kids playing or something.

kids today don't get drivers ed in school and they learn from their parents who ARE texting and facebooking while taking them to school. the driving test is the joke of the rest of the world and I don't think most kids now are capable of driving with other kids in the car.

Quote:
He actually should have been spanked at that age. Sure he's a better, more cautious driver now.
I wish the one state trooper in NC would have spanked me!

but I do find myself slowing down as I am about to be a father. but I have to use the cruse control to do it. like on 55mph two lane roads I set it at 60 because if not I would be going 65-70. same with the interstate if its 65mph I have to set it at 70 or I would be going 75-85.

the funny thing is I don't speed at all on my bikes, half the time I am under the limit just enjoying the day. I never speeded for kicks it was always about just getting where I needed to go as fast as possible.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #250
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
eh probably not, I was just getting around the last car when the governor kicked in which coincided with him hitting me with the radar gun. like I said I was just trying to get around all the slow pokes at once as quickly as possible.

not really I have lost my license 2 times in the 14 years I have been driving. had to take the points test 3 times (got stopped on the way to take it one time!) I would not have a drivers license if tickets from other states transferred to PA. I used to travel every weekend for racing and would sometimes get stopped 2-3 times in VA and NC. that's why I never got my CDL, all fifty states transfer then.

my father was a race car driver. I took 3 different driving courses when I was younger not to mention all the winter nights spent with my dad learning the art of limited traction situations out in the mall parking lot.

when I started driving there was no texting or facebooking while driving. to this day I refrain from that crap and pay attention to what I am doing, just like I told that cop. I think its partly why I get so many tickets. I am just driving, not looking for cops and I tend to move at 10-15 over the limit unless I am in a town where there may be kids playing or something.

kids today don't get drivers ed in school and they learn from their parents who ARE texting and facebooking while taking them to school. the driving test is the joke of the rest of the world and I don't think most kids now are capable of driving with other kids in the car.

I think as you get older, you'll find that getting somewhere faster becomes less important. I'm kinda the opposite, I ride my bikes faster than necessary just because I like it. My other ride 2010 Jeep, six cylinder would have trouble speeding if I wanted it to You sound like a nice young guy. Listen to yourself.....and good luck with the baby!

I wish the one state trooper in NC would have spanked me!

but I do find myself slowing down as I am about to be a father. but I have to use the cruse control to do it. like on 55mph two lane roads I set it at 60 because if not I would be going 65-70. same with the interstate if its 65mph I have to set it at 70 or I would be going 75-85.

the funny thing is I don't speed at all on my bikes, half the time I am under the limit just enjoying the day. I never speeded for kicks it was always about just getting where I needed to go as fast as possible.

I think as you get older, you'll find that getting somewhere faster becomes less important. I'm kinda the opposite, I ride my bikes faster than necessary just because I like it. My other ride 2010 Jeep, six cylinder would have trouble speeding if I wanted it to You sound like a nice young guy. Listen to yourself.....and good luck with the baby!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #251
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Ever do the rough math, or time, trips to see the actual time saved by speeding? Even at extremely high speeds, under an hour trip is hard to have any meaningful impact on, assuming there are spots where traffic will prevent you from keeping a fast pace, stop lights, merges, left-lane blockers etc. I do find moving quick and smooth keeps my mind off how late I'm about to be though...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #252
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

It's not about getting somewhere faster. Often it's about cruising at the speed my vehicle wants to go.

And not being constrained by people who brake for no reason.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #253
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
Ever do the rough math, or time, trips to see the actual time saved by speeding? Even at extremely high speeds, under an hour trip is hard to have any meaningful impact on, assuming there are spots where traffic will prevent you from keeping a fast pace, stop lights, merges, left-lane blockers etc. I do find moving quick and smooth keeps my mind off how late I'm about to be though...
Yea, I don't think most folks are speeding cause they think getting somewhere 5 minutes faster is the end all {although it can be, like if you're outta sick time and on step three of a three strikes and you're out job}. Most folks that speed just speed. If the limit is 25mph, they gonna try to get away with 35mph. If the limit is 75mph, they gonna try to get away with 85mph. On the other hand, some folks just drive slow and are more than happy doing 60mph in a 75mph zone. Take Ural riders fr example.

And yea,,,,, I'm a Ural owner. But my slow as shit riding is pretty limited to Ural time. Any other time,,,,, I'm pressing my luck.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 AM   #254
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,588
I generally drive 5-10 over just because my car "likes" 75-80mph better than 70mph, and I prefer to be moving a little faster than general traffic so that I only have to deal with threats ahead of me. On my DR350 though, I'm just about maxed out at 75, so I usually cruise at 65-70mph.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #255
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

one more thing about my speeding exploits. I get that shit honestly. when I was in high school we flew out to So-Cal to pick up my dads 55? birthday present to himself and drive it back home grizwald style. it was a 2wd lowered big block suburban with a supercharger that made 550hp to the wheels. we got stopped I think 5 times on our way back to PA once we were clocked at 120. cop asked if he knew how fast he was going and he said yep I had the cruse control set at 120! cop just laughed and told him to slow it down.

shit just 1 or 2 years ago he got two tickets in 45 minutes on his way to NY for a wedding. not six months ago he got pinched in the same spot I got that ticket that started my involvement in this thread. we were on our way to meet a client and I told his ass to slow down and not 5 min later we are on the side of the road.