Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #706
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniUp View Post
I think the biggest problem is the lighting/horn setup. Bugaboos aplenty unless electrically gifted. I'm not.
I plated my KDX in TX, it has no battery. I used the existing lighting circuit that powers the headlight/taillight. I installed a UFO brand replacement rear fender that has a rear bulb socket that supports a standard 1157 bulb with tail and brake light.

The simplest solution was to run the power lead for the kdx taillight into the ground wire of the new light socket then connect the "tail-light" power lead to ground. Then install a brake light switch on the rear brake wire to ground through the switch. Doing it backwards like that just saved me the trouble of - splicing the power wire to tail light so it splits power to feed Tail-light wire and Brake-light wire. Most will argue that splicing the power lead is the better way (I just took the lazy way) .

Next: I just installed a different headlight that had a high/low beam. I powered it on the existing kdx headlight circuit but ran it through a standard headlight switch for the handlebar.
Actually it said "Kill" like in the picture, but I used that button as my horn button since I already had the stock KDX kill button.

That same switch has a kill or in my case horn button. I found that the stock lighting circuit for the lighting would not provide enough power to make the horn work. The simple solution there was to put the horn on its own separate isolated circuit. I just used a small plastic box from radio shack to house 2 - 9v batteries wired in series (18v) to power the horn - it was nice and loud.
The plastic box mounted behind the headlight that houses the 2 - 9v batteries: (yea small pic but look hard its there.)

The horn itself:

In TX you do not need blinkers to get your inspection. Just a horn and mirror and basic lighting stuff - see the list in link below: Depending on where you take it you can even get away with regular knobbies (non DOT) so shop around and find a guy that does not care. So I suggest you go to a local auto repair garage NOT A BIKE SHOP! Or they will be looking for DOT tires too. I used the local jiffy lube. Ask for the Green sheet - its actually not called that any longer but hopefully the guy will know what you are talking about - it is basically a sheet that says the vehicle meets basic state safety standards. Take that and your proof of liability insurance and your "off road title" down to DMV and every thing should flow - I went to local DMV in Tomball TX and walked out with a plate the same day each time I did it. If you do not have a title - then you need to get one. Maybe you have the MSO (Manufacture Statement of Origin) if you purchased it new, that is the birth certificate for the bike, it is the paperwork the dealer has that lists the bike by model and serial number but is not tied to a state - it is shipped with the bike from the manufacture to dealer and is often issued in place of an official title for dirt bikes when the dealer does not want to bother with paying the state the fees to record it (most legitimate dealers give you an official state title - but register it for off road use). You title will most likely say "Off Road Use Only" somewhere on it. that is not a problem once you have the inspection statement that says the bike meets safety standards for highway use. If no title then - You will need to do a title bond. Title bonds can be tricky, if you have the MSO then it is easy, if you have just a bill of sale then the state will do a vin search to make sure it is not already registered or it is not stolen and even then it is hit or miss that it will fly with the state - but I have found that if you use a good "Surety Bond" company that it works in TX on the first try. When I did it in MS some 20 years ago it went smooth then - I can t speak for how that process will work today - I recommend TX because I know it works and your inspection does not need blinkers.

I have plated everything I own. A TTR125, KDX, XR400, XR350, etc. Did all these in TX had MSO on XR400 - only Bill of Sale on TTR and XR350, kdx an off road title already from TX - easy conversion to remove the "Off Road Use" on the title.

I converted all my bikes to Louisiana titles with no issues because they accepted the TX or Miss titles since they no longer had "Off Road Use" on them after the conversion.
Although I had to shop around for different insurance companies because when I tried Geico it flagged the vin's as Off Road only, so I switched to Allstate which didn't care they just sold me liability policies - with a multi bike discount also .
25 years ago I did an XR200 in Louisiana - at that time you could simply get a letter from your State Trooper office (my case was Troop L as I lived in Hammond at that time) the letter simply states the bike is not stolen and you have modified it to meet safety standards for highway use. That and and insurance got me plated back then. I am told now that LA no longer allows that. I have not investigated that is true or not.

Here are a few links for those that are truly serious about plating a bike (in TX) since it is so easy there but you will need a relative (or good friend you can trust) with a TX address and TX drivers license - put it in that persons name then later after they receive the TX title in the mail, they can donate it to you in Louisiana - Note coming in to LA from out of state they will still make you pay taxes even on a donation so make the bill-of-sale out appropriately.
(In state donations LA titles to LA residents = no tax - out of state donation to a LA title = they still want to collect sales tax - )

Are you sure you still want to plate a dirt bike? - this is a lot of shit to go through to get a plate these days (trust me I know)! I usually tell people that it is just easier to buy a new KTM-exc with plate or a bike that already has a plate!

For TX safety requirements:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...nCriteria.aspx <-- click on the drop down for - Motorcycle / Motor Driven Cycle.

Additional info on safety requirements in TX: note the links in that pdf don't work so use the link above.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/documents/VDRchart.pdf

For Title Bond information:
http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm

Dual sport kits: - I like these guys:
http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...nversion%20kit

If you are a DYI kind of dude then you can save $ over buying kits and do it all yourself:
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/dualsprt.asp

If you need more power you can usually find an after market stator that has higher output for most dirt bikes:
http://www.rickystator.com

Or if you are the DYI type you can re-wind yours - I have done it and it is not fun and in my opinion not really worth the effort to save the money - but if on a tight budget here is a link for that - BTW this is for xr600 it is same principle on other brands/models:
http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes...torRewind.html

Here is a write up I did several years ago - note the links have changed but I think the forms use the same numbers if you want to search for them: see page 2 of this link.
http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ub...opics/230367/2 On page 2 I list the forms needed.

But I suggest you do some searches on other TX forums - There is a ton of information out there you just need to read through it all to extract the real facts.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...ting+dirt+bike

http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index...25630#msg25630

Sorry for writing a mini-series novel, but I have a lot of effort in converting bikes and have a lot of links saved related to this so I wanted to provide enough information that you can get er done on your own, but if you insist you can PM me if needed with questions. The bikes listed in my signature are links to those bikes that also have some of this information. The Husky had a street title when I bought it so that made it nice - the work was already done. In my humble opinion - an off road bike already plated is at least worth 300 to 400 dollars more up front if you plan to do it later - it saves you a ton of work and aggravation. Trust me afterward you would agree that it is worth the extra cost and not having to wait or go through all the crap to get it done. But then 1 ticket from the forrest ranger because you tried to short cut back to the truck with your un-plated dirt bike on a forrest road will cost you just as much as the conversion.

If anybody has converted a dirt bike to a plated bike in LA in the last year or so - it would be great if you shared that info, especially if you did it with a Bill of Sale since most dirt bikes sold here don't bother to keep up with titles - inquiring minds want to know -

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 01:15 PM
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #707
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Yep, but you started with lighting capability. Large difference with a KXF. Real large.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #708
Boarider
lost

Oddometer: 106
Great write up and thanks for taking the time to do it, it'll come in handy.
I did see a guy on motohouston plate a CRF 50 yesterday, lol.

For the record my bike is a KLX450R that came with running lights.
Boarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #709
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Can a converted dirt bike (offroad to street-legal) purchased in another state be registered in LA as the same?
Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #710
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1125Rebel View Post
Great write up and thanks for taking the time to do it, it'll come in handy.
I did see a guy on motohouston plate a CRF 50 yesterday, lol.

Now you tell me! That do make a difference. Maybe, LA can be tough.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #711
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navaho View Post
Can a converted dirt bike (offroad to street-legal) purchased in another state be registered in LA as the same?
Yes - once it has a title from another state that allows it to receive a plate from that state - then yes LA doesn't care, it considers it a regular street motorcycle.
But if the previous state does not issue a new title that removes the phrase "Off Road Use" from its title when it was converted in that state, then you will likely be flagged when DMV office processes the new LA title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1125Rebel View Post
Having e-start and battery makes a conversion easy (unlike my KDX without a battery).

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 10:04 AM
Old 07-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #712
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Can I get an opinion of Hall's NOLA dealership? They have some great prices on cycletrader, and I'm up for a roadtrip. Are they ok? What are their fees like, generally? Anybody in particular to talk to, not talk to?
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #713
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Stu. I bought from Halls 2 weeks ago from them because of a cycle trader ad
Their fees were like every other dealer on Cycle Trader who advertises back of cost
I bought a 2013 with a list of 13999.00 bike had a 2000 rebate and ended up at 8825.00 plus tax
They had the bike advertised for 7795.00 fwiw
The salesman Manny was a no nonsense good guy but the business office was a bit lackadaisical on the paper work :/
What cha getting?
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #714
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
looking at a 2014 V Strom 1000 ADV. They had it online for about 11,3. Finally nailed down an OTD price (that doesn't include my MO sales tax) at 12,5. Same as the local dealer.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #715
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Thumb

They should have discounted it more....I think I drooled on that bike hehe
Good luck, it's a good looking ride!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #716
eWRXshun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Halls wanted close to $6k OTD on a 2013 XT250 they had on cycletrader for a little over $4k.

I took that $6k and bought a new/old stock 2012 WR250R from Friendly.
eWRXshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #717
Boarider
lost

Had to snag and post it,

Only in TX

Old 08-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #718
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Just realized I probably should have posted this saturday's RR on this thread - I put it on the Louisiana BS thread by mistake:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660721

Ok so here is the re-post:
Well its been a while, figured I need to run some fuel through the carbs. After cranking up several bikes I decided to take the little TW for a ride:

Left Magnolia Bridge heading north on Greenwell Springs when ended up taking my usual run up 960 to hit dirt.
was going to take a short cut to Billy Goat Rd. but the road I took ended up a dead end - Literally .

A few of these tomb stones were old enough to serve during civil war times!

Old James here was 57 at the time he died in 1888.

Anyway had to turn around but found my way to Billygoat Rd the original way (through Clinton).

A little rain shower had passed, temps had dropped and I was feeling good so I headed off to Whitestown Rd for a little more dirt on the way to MS.

Sorry I should have take a couple shots while on Whitestown - the damp sand was perfect!

Stopped for a break at a creek - don't know which one this is, it may be the beginnings of Thompson Creek since I was well into MS by now.

By this time I'm 140 miles from home so I figure I better head back if I want to get home before dark so I didn't stop for any more pics. Drove through Gloster then zipped back via Clinton again and 63 to Greenwell.

That's all I got for now - cracker down!
Just trying to stir up some action on here!

EnduroRdr screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 09:58 PM
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #719
Boarider
lost

Great ride, I'd love to put this in my GPS and do it if possible.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #720
Bayoudude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Sounds like a nice ride.
I'm close to you.
I might follow in your footsteps.
Bayoudude is online now   Reply With Quote