Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Laugh US citizen thinking of moving to Chile!

Hey guys

Im at the beginnings of planning a move to Chile end of 2015 or early 2016.

Whats the motorcycling like down there? Any restrictive laws or weird complications? Any trouble getting parts and gear?

I'd really just want a low displacement dual sport.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
Golden Chapati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Amazing riding though very much will depend on where you are. I live in central valley and ride a Tornado XR 250. countless dirt roads where I am and can reach both the pacific coast and the Andean peaks in around 90 minutes each way! Bikes are easy to buy and the cops don't try to bribe you. Other drivers are probably better than other Latin American countries but still pretty rubbish.

No trouble buying parts if you buy a local Honda. More exotic stuff is harder to source and the choice will be severely limited if you are coming from the US. Still, buying stuff like Klim suits, Shoei lids, etc all possible and for me, a Brit, cheaper or comparable to home. Still I would bring as much as you can with you as stock is limited.

The things I had to get shipped out were stuff like high PSI tire pumps, highend mountaineering gear and stuff like MSR filters or Primus stoves would be tricky to find here. I brought most of that stuff with me and I wish id have brought everything, hence having to post stuff out.

Lastly, would really recommend the Tornado 250 as a low dis. dual, loads of fun in the dirt and good enough for touring if you go light.
Golden Chapati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
NesquikNinja OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Awesome to here! Id love a little Honda.

Any chance youd be willing to give me a few pointers as far as making the move? Like I said im in the beginning stages of planning. Still trying to let some money pile up first. Thats the only hold up. Dont want to rush in
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
ChileGS
ChileGSer

Oddometer: 41
Move to Chile

Im back again in Chile for the third time as of May 1, with a total of about 15 years here since 1989. So obviously I must like something here.

Its winter here now but Saturday I did a 450 km ride out of Santiago with nice weather but spectacular snow on the Andes above.

No particular problems with motorcycles other than they are more expensive here, but good used bikes also hold their value.

Only hassle is once you are off your tourist visa you have to get a Chilean license for cars and bikes. Written exam in Spanish only of course but the biggest hassle is you have to prove you have a grade 8 education or better. If you didn't go to school in Chile this means getting a legalized copy of your education transcript which generally needs to be blessed at the Chilean consulate nearest the educational institution and the Foreign Ministry here, etc, etc. Seems whatever paper you have they always ask for something else.
ChileGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
ontheborder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Smog

How is the smog in Santiago n the winter?
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
ChileGS
ChileGSer

Oddometer: 41
Smog

Pretty bad. Environmental alert and traffic restrictions this last week.

The weekend was cold , foggy and smoggy.

I still got out for a 2 hr ride this AM.
ChileGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #7
Golden Chapati
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
email me should you have any specific questions as I dont check this forum often - goldenchapati at mykolab dot com
Golden Chapati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
El Duque
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Chile is on my list too. I plan on retiring there. Wife is Chilean.

I think we can bring one vehicle there but don't know the particulars yet. I am hoping it is a moto and not a car!

Also hoping to ride from Arica to Punta Arenas/Tierra del Fuego (if I am able ).
Old 08-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Shaft
counting my blessings

Oddometer: 4,256
A lot of your questions can be answered by visiting the following forum.

Just keep in mind that the owner is running a relocation buisness and as such tends to be slightly bias.

http://www.allchile.net/

And oh yea! Learn Spanish, it'll be most helpful to at least have conversational Spanish.

Edit:

Here's a link to a popular real estate website.
It'll give you an idea about rentals and purchasing.

http://www.portalinmobiliario.com/
He grew up in the bogs.
It's not his fault he's an ignorant halfwit, he's from Europe's only third world country.
Shaft is online now   Reply With Quote