ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #1741
Padmei OP
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Look at the state of that... How do you expect the smoke to stay in there with all that wiring exposed to the air?
You never want the smoke to be kept captive in high concentration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
....
love the wires wraped around the switch screws....
yeah I'm hearing ya. I did put insulated lugs on them but they had a soft point between the barrel & hole I figured they'd break so went back to the old school method.

I did wonder how many amps that wire takes. It only carries the ignition load so figured not much.


Just had a play with the forks. They seemed OK. The metallic banging was actually the disc moving & hitting the fasteners.
I'm gonna research a good weekend with low tides to get back out to Anatori.

Padmei screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 06:48 PM
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #1742
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 917
Did you ever find some stuff to put on the alloy to keep that "just polished with a wire wheel" look ?
Or is it the too hard/expensive/whats the point basket ?
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:28 AM   #1743
Padmei OP
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Did you ever find some stuff to put on the alloy to keep that "just polished with a wire wheel" look ?
Or is it the too hard/expensive/whats the point basket ?
Yeah nah after reading a lot it seems there's nothing really that will work except silver paint. My lanacote experiment somehow disappeared under layers of bloody peastraw. Women obviously don't understand the importance of such things.

You could always empty a few more cans of silicon onto the bike

You're a fisherman aren't you?
I was looking at the tide tables to try & sort a weekend in Spring for a trip to Anatori. I wanted to get a really low tide to get across Big River. All the low tides during the day are reasonably high about 1m. If you want a low low tide <0.7 they are only in the early morning or evening. What's up with that? Don't they think of other beach users when they make these things up?

http://www.tides4fishing.com/nz/west-coast/westport
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #1744
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Yeah nah after reading a lot it seems there's nothing really that will work except silver paint. My lanacote experiment somehow disappeared under layers of bloody peastraw. Women obviously don't understand the importance of such things.

You could always empty a few more cans of silicon onto the bike

You're a fisherman aren't you?
I was looking at the tide tables to try & sort a weekend in Spring for a trip to Anatori. I wanted to get a really low tide to get across Big River. All the low tides during the day are reasonably high about 1m. If you want a low low tide <0.7 they are only in the early morning or evening. What's up with that? Don't they think of other beach users when they make these things up?

http://www.tides4fishing.com/nz/west-coast/westport
It's a good way to keep the rif raf out of special areas

You could take a "cough" Tent !! and stay down there, that way you'd be on the spot to drown your bike in one of the holes in the river or are you 4wding it ?
FWIW silicon spray makes it easier to clean the crud of your bike at the end of the day

ztaj screwed with this post 07-27-2014 at 12:54 PM
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #1745
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!
 
Crisis management's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I was looking at the tide tables to try & sort a weekend in Spring for a trip to Anatori. I wanted to get a really low tide to get across Big River. All the low tides during the day are reasonably high about 1m. If you want a low low tide <0.7 they are only in the early morning or evening. What's up with that? Don't they think of other beach users when they make these things up?
Tides is caused by the moon dragging the water around the earth by gravitational pull, big tides is caused by the moon being up when the sun is (added gravitational pull of sun & moon) so you only get big tides in the day time, typically morning (dunno why that is, must research some more).

Really low tides obviously occur at opposite times to really big tides so afternoon / evenings....

Solution, go faster and post videos!
__________________
Orange...cause it makes me look like I know what I'm doing!
Crisis management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #1746
swarfie
Classic S/Car Racer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Did you ever find some stuff to put on the alloy to keep that "just polished with a wire wheel" look ?
Or is it the too hard/expensive/whats the point basket ?
Go to Spotlight (na I'm not into knitting) and ask for a tube of "Rub 'n' Buff". Its used for rejuvenating picture frames apparently. Tiny little tube costs about $15 but it goes a LONG way. It comes in several different colours but "silver leaf" is the one you need for ali. Give the surface a good scrub with a Scotchbrite pad (the green one used for cleaning pots...na I'm not into housework either) and rub some Rub 'n' Buff on with a rag, leave a couple of minutes then buff up with another rag. Works a bloody treat and you'll be amazed at the results. Seems to last well too. Used it on my BMW R90s when I restored it about 12 months ago and it still looks great.
swarfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #1747
Voltaire
Bored Of The Rings
 
Voltaire's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Auckland,New Zealand
Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
Go to Spotlight (na I'm not into knitting) and ask for a tube of "Rub 'n' Buff". Its used for rejuvenating picture frames apparently. Tiny little tube costs about $15 but it goes a LONG way. It comes in several different colours but "silver leaf" is the one you need for ali. Give the surface a good scrub with a Scotchbrite pad (the green one used for cleaning pots...na I'm not into housework either) and rub some Rub 'n' Buff on with a rag, leave a couple of minutes then buff up with another rag. Works a bloody treat and you'll be amazed at the results. Seems to last well too. Used it on my BMW R90s when I restored it about 12 months ago and it still looks great.
You sidecar blokes probably use a lot of 'Rub in Buff"
__________________
Link to Classic BMW Racer Project.
Noobs guide to racing.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790873
Saigon to Hanoi two up on a Honda 150
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1009571&page=2
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #1748
Padmei OP
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
Tides is caused by the moon dragging the water around the earth by gravitational pull, big tides is caused by the moon being up when the sun is (added gravitational pull of sun & moon) so you only get big tides in the day time, typically morning (dunno why that is, must research some more).

Really low tides obviously occur at opposite times to really big tides so afternoon / evenings....

Solution, go faster and post videos!
Aaaaah I see now.



Since everything at the top of the motor is off I decided it may be a good chance to check out my starter motor. It works OK however makes bit of a wheeze & stops if the bike doesn't start on the 1st few rotations. I then have to press the start button again or if it has been parked for a while or is a cold morning again & again.
It almost protesting getting out of bed to go to work.

It is a Bosch & must be a replacement as I believe the valeo were installed on the later models.

Yesterday I took the starter motor out, took it apart & had a looksie inside. it all looked OK. The spiral bit had a bit of gunk on but not much. I undercut the commutator & gave it bit of a polish, brushes looked OK.
I lubed the spiral bit & buttoned it back up.
I had had the battery on the tender for the past couple of weeks which must have helped as the starter spun seemingly a lot stronger.

Today I fired it up & it started first pop which is unusual. I went for a 10min ride & everything seemed back to normal - well that is over 4K revs. Under that it runs rough. The last couple of times I noticed this I cleaned out the carbs & it solves the problem. The main jet atomising area seems to get crud built up in it. I'm not sure if it is a air filter problem or engine breather throwing in some bad air.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:33 AM   #1749
Padmei OP
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,568
Ignore this. I just found it again & wanted to put it somewhere safe...
Thanks Nordie sometimes a pic can bring back so many fun memories. Good times sigh...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130097343
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #1750
ztaj
jatz
 
ztaj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nelson-ish New Zealand
Oddometer: 917
Just taking a break from bricking......
And I remember MrsTopo saying something about wearing a puffer jacket under her riding jacket for warmth , this is going back a few years though.
You could give that a try ? assuming you have a puffer jacket
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #1751
Padmei OP
enamoured
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Nelson New Zealand
Oddometer: 3,568
Thanks for the idea Jatz but they are a tad bulky & make me look like I ate all the pies They used to be called down jackets back in my day.

The days are getting very nice & warm lately so I may venture a little further afield.


Bosch Starter motors - anyone repaired one before? Mine was wheezing a lot yesterday when cold starting. When hot it is ok but I think it is on the way out. i have checked out all the usual sites for info but am unsure what should i replace or test.
What usually goes?

Symptoms - turns over ok for a few seconds then wheezes & won't go any further. Wait a couple of secs then try again. It doesn't keep spinning like Nutsos if you keep your thumb on the button. I have to keep trying till it catches. tried with battery jumper lead too so don't think it's the little battery either.
Any ideas before I go to the shitfest airheads forum?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #1752
innathyzit
AKA Woodman
 
innathyzit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nelson NZ
Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Thanks for the idea Jatz but they are a tad bulky & make me look like I ate all the pies They used to be called down jackets back in my day.

The days are getting very nice & warm lately so I may venture a little further afield.


Bosch Starter motors - anyone repaired one before? Mine was wheezing a lot yesterday when cold starting. When hot it is ok but I think it is on the way out. i have checked out all the usual sites for info but am unsure what should i replace or test.
What usually goes?

Symptoms - turns over ok for a few seconds then wheezes & won't go any further. Wait a couple of secs then try again. It doesn't keep spinning like Nutsos if you keep your thumb on the button. I have to keep trying till it catches. tried with battery jumper lead too so don't think it's the little battery either.
Any ideas before I go to the shitfest airheads forum?
When i ordered my new starter, I also ordered a valeo housing with the bolt on magnets. Haven't rebuilt my old one yet, but if you need it you are welcome to it. All the bits are here.

Put a new AGM 400cca battery in mine a few weeks ago which certainly makes the starter sit up and take notice.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:47 AM   #1753
innathyzit
AKA Woodman
 
innathyzit's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nelson NZ
Oddometer: 947
What about tese for keeing you warm?

http://www.nzsailing.net/rooster-pro...idp366384.html
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:55 AM   #1754
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!
 
Kokopelli's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Rapaura
Oddometer: 4,603
I put in a Nippon Denso, goes well with the Nissen front brake. Japanese starting and stopping.
__________________
R1150GS
R80GS Basic
__________________
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:02 AM   #1755
Box'a'bits
In need of repair
 
Box'a'bits's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Bosch Starter motors - anyone repaired one before? Mine was wheezing a lot yesterday when cold starting. When hot it is ok but I think it is on the way out. i have checked out all the usual sites for info but am unsure what should i replace or test.
What usually goes?

Symptoms - turns over ok for a few seconds then wheezes & won't go any further. Wait a couple of secs then try again. It doesn't keep spinning like Nutsos if you keep your thumb on the button. I have to keep trying till it catches. tried with battery jumper lead too so don't think it's the little battery either.
Any ideas before I go to the shitfest airheads forum?
If you want to do it yourself, try for a rebuild kit here , or you could get an Auto Electrician to do it. I'm told that the armature shaft gets sloppy on its bushes, & then it takes too much current to allow the ignition to work properly. They are definitely a high draw, & slower cranking starter. And they weigh a tonne.

The only advantage the Bosch had over the Valeo was that you could rebuild them. The valeos used to be a throw away. But that isn't the case anymore. Or you could get a cheap valeo clone.

What about the starter in Berlina?
__________________
My '91 R100GS thread is here
My Ride photos are here

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014