Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
big_sur OP
Tarded

Oddometer: 677
KTM in MotoGP 2017

Well that's pretty sweet...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/moto...6-motogp-2017/

Quote:
Speaking to Speedweek, KTM CEO Stefan Pierer announced that the Austrian company will be entering the MotoGP World Championship in 2017. KTM will race with a brand new machine that features a V4 engine and will be called the KTM RC16.
Pierer said that KTM will debut the V4 engine in May of 2015, and begin testing and developing the RC16 later that year – KTM may even wild-card the race bike during the 2016 season. Perhaps the biggest news though is that KTM plans to produce up to 100 units of the KTM RC16 race bike, which will be available to the public for a cool €150,000 to €200,000 (likely in the same way privateers can purchase a lower-spec machine than KTM’s Moto3 racer).
Developed specifically for the race track, the KTM RC16 isn’t quite a homologation special, in the same way that Honda’s consumer-version of the RCV1000R will be, if it ever finally comes to market. Instead, the KTM RC16 will be for well-pocketed track enthusiasts. For all that coin, owners can expect 1,000cc V4 lump (likely making over 200hp), a steel trellis frame, and WP suspension pieces.
Another interesting thing of note is that while the RC16 is being considered a direct replacement for the RC8 superbike, KTM is taking its cue from the EU Commission, which has been mulling performance restrictions on superbikes. Saying that no street bike should have 200hp, Pierer foresees KTM’s future “superbike” being track-only machines going forth.
Turning to the race track, there’s no word yet on what pricing will be for GP teams, though we would expect to see a price tag in the millions-of-euros range. Today’s news makes KTM one of a handful new manufacturers to show their interest in MotoGP, as Suzuki will return to the paddock for the 2015 season, and Aprilia will field a revised Open Class entry machine based on the RSV4 next season, before brining a full-prototype in 2016.
KTM will hopes to have the RC16 ready for purchase by GP teams by the 2017 season, and Pierer says that KTM will not field a factory team in MotoGP. Instead, the Austrian brand will operate in MotoGP the same way it has in Moto3, supplying machines to strong private teams, and working with them on development and support.
Stay tuned for more information, as we get it.
big_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,208
Perhaps I'm just grumpy, but I'll file this one in the "Believe It When I See It" folder.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,000
Went well when they were working with Kenny.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Went well when they were working with Kenny.

I have no memory of KTM working with Kenny,Proton kicked in lump sums of cash for his project bike.

I was in the pits at Laguna for moto-gp,over heard Kenny junior saying of the Proton........."Im sure glad I dont have to ride that POS" Curtis R was having a go with it and it wasnt going well.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,391
The Proton was a V-5 ,pale imitation of the Honda V-5. There wasn't enough time or money to get it right and then it was gone.
KTM had a Moto GP team in their plans, but , not on the track. When Proton pulled the plug on their V-5 Kenny convinced KTM to let his team run their V-4.
They had more sucsess with the KTM than they did with the Proton, not that that's saying a lot, but, when he asked KTM for some improvments, the end was near. KTM wanted to be paid , K.R. wanted to race on someone elses Dollar$ and that fell apart too.

Now if K.R., could get Yamaha to give him a bunch of MT 07 motors and a few suitcases full of cash to develope a flat track bike....
And get the Hayden brothers to ride as a team...............................
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
be nice if it happens, fingers crossed
RCmoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
I'd be interested to know how they think this would work for them from a commercial standpoint. My guess it would be aimed at raising their brand profile in emerging Asian markets, where they could sell a bunch of small stuff.

Could even work.

The idea of a KTM MotoGP project sounded pretty ambitions until I remembered they are in Moto3 and have done pretty well there.

I know that is a long way from the big class but the point is they are represented in the paddock on a regular basis and so have plenty of opportunities to assess the size of the challenge.

It would be a lot of fun to see them design something competitive. Remember, in 2017 everyone will be on Michelin rubber and will be running spec software.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,810
The bikes will all be equal, too. No more "Factory" bikes from Honda, Yamaha and Ducati. They'll all be what is now the "Open" spec, running 17" wheels and spec software. A much more level playing field and I hope KTM and other manufacturers jump in. Is it MotoGP, old school? Most assuredly not...but it's better than the 'top 4 and whoever else can hang' on we have now.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #9
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Motomatters has a piece on this here.

Seems to have a few extra tidbits. One is that the engineer who designed KTM's very successful Moto3 engine is already hard at work designing the MotoGP v-4. The other is that the factory won't be going racing: they will be building 1 million euro proddy racers for customer teams.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
The Proton was a V-5 ,pale imitation of the Honda V-5. There wasn't enough time or money to get it right and then it was gone.
KTM had a Moto GP team in their plans, but , not on the track. When Proton pulled the plug on their V-5 Kenny convinced KTM to let his team run their V-4.
They had more sucsess with the KTM than they did with the Proton, not that that's saying a lot, but, when he asked KTM for some improvments, the end was near. KTM wanted to be paid , K.R. wanted to race on someone elses Dollar$ and that fell apart too.

Now if K.R., could get Yamaha to give him a bunch of MT 07 motors and a few suitcases full of cash to develope a flat track bike....
And get the Hayden brothers to ride as a team...............................
The story I read was they (KTM) yanked the rug out from under KR, just up and said "give us our shit back" with little to no warning. I cannot confirm whether this was actually the case or not.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 780
Alway seemed like there were three sides to that story, Kenny Said, KTM Said, and then the truth. KR did do well with the Honda engine.
WR250R
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 AM   #12
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktpa View Post
Alway seemed like there were three sides to that story, Kenny Said, KTM Said, and then the truth. KR did do well with the Honda engine.
Yeah, that bike was competitive. Didn't KRJR win one at the white flag and thought it was the checker and pulled off? Or something like that.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #13
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Yeah, that bike was competitive. Didn't KRJR win one at the white flag and thought it was the checker and pulled off? Or something like that.
Estoril 2006. But let's not get caught up talking about THAT race again ...
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote