User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Juice_Pope OP
Gauchito Yanqui

Oddometer: 36
No bikes from cartagena to panama???

Sorry if this is a false alarm (frankly I'm hoping it is), but does anyone know about a ban on ships taking bikes onboard from Cartagena, Colombia?

I'm currently in Ecuador heading north to Colombia and was planning on grabbing a ride to Panama on one of ADV's well-known aquatic friends (e.g. Stahlratte, who I've PM'ed for good measure), but I received word today that the ports in Cartagena aren't allowing boats to take on bikes en route to Panama. Basically, they're letting bikes go from boat to land, but not vice versa.

So, is there any truth to this? I'm not looking forward to sending my bike on a cargo ship to Panama for many reasons.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #2
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
I don't know for certain but I'd say the restrictions are for small boats. Stahlratte is still taking bikes as far as I can tell and she sailed out of Cartagena on July 22.
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Juice_Pope OP
Gauchito Yanqui

Update

I'm updating this for anyone else who might need to know:

Stefan, who maintains the Stahlratte's ADV account, confirmed that Ludwig was carrying bikes out of Cartagena on July 22, though it wasn't easy.

Yesterday I got a message from a buddy of mine who caught a lift for himself and his bike on the MS Independence from Panama to Cartagena. He confirmed that multiple boats are still carrying bikes from Panama to Cartagena, but Ludwig has the only boat currently able to take bikes on board from Cartagena to Panama.

Still awaiting a return email from the Stahlratte's official email account to make 101% sure this will hold til I arrive in Cartagena in September
Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Juice_Pope OP
Gauchito Yanqui

Update from Stahlratte

Ludwig just wrote me back, confirming that he did indeed get a couple of bikes out of Cartagena on July 22 but only after Colombian customs hassled them for a couple of days.

He said this kind of pressure comes from the aduanas every year in the low season, but this year its a bit more punctuated on account of some backpacker recently got busted trying to smuggle drugs on one of the smaller boats (he didn't say which one). Nevertheless, he said he expected things to settle down in a month or two, and that he plans on taking a couple of bikes on the next Cartagena-Panama run (August 22).