Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
What???? You are an original Boner Wait Did I say that...What I meant to say is you have been with us from the start!
Boneheads might be a better term for attendees.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #17
Kev675
n00b

Oddometer: 4
new guy looking for advice

A friend of mine Christian Ninaud sent me this way after finding out I just picked up a WR250R and this is sounding like some fun.

I have never ridden dirt/off road before so just looking for some ideas on if this trip is doable in my situation or should I wait until my skill level is up and maybe bike is up to par.

All I have at the moment is mainly street gear and a stock bike.

If I were to attend I would just backpack it down and get a cabin most likely.
Are there different routes for different skill levels or ranges (2 gallon tank)?

Any info is appreciated!

-Kevyn

Kev675 screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 02:35 PM Reason: typo
Kev675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Kev, the routes are all pretty much public dirt roads and very doable by beginners. For YOUR enjoyment, ride your own ride. Don't join up with a group of riders who are going really fast if it is not at your skill level or you would not enjoy it. I've seen this happen to a few riders who were really bummed out because they wanted to go slow and sight-see but spent the weekend trying to survive. If that is your plan and you don't want to go alone or burden others, let everyone know what you're plan is and I guarantee you'll have half a dozen folks come over and want to ride with you. Same thing if you want to haul ass (edit to add: The rides aren't led, most people just wind up clumping up into groups of friends/similar expectations. As far as fuel mileage goes, you'll be fine. There are many many places to break off and get fuel.)

There are all types, and they are all the friendliest bunch of crazies I've met. I backpack camped riding my dr650 the first year, camped from my v-strom the next. This year I'll probably truck the XR down. I can probably squeeze an extra bike in if you don't want to ride down. Bottom line: SIGN UP AND GO! You'll have a good time.

If you're new to riding or gravel, let me know and we can meet and tear up the gravel roads north of 380 so you can spend more time enjoying the ride at RTB.
But save your energy, your journey here is far from over.

DepthFinder screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 02:58 PM
DepthFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthFinder View Post
Kev, the routes are all pretty much public dirt roads and very doable by beginners. For YOUR enjoyment, ride your own ride. Don't join up with a group of riders who are going really fast if it is not at your skill level or you would not enjoy it. I've seen this happen to a few riders who were really bummed out because they wanted to go slow and sight-see but spent the weekend trying to survive. If that is your plan and you don't want to go alone or burden others, let everyone know what you're plan is and I guarantee you'll have half a dozen folks come over and want to ride with you. Same thing if you want to haul ass (edit to add: The rides aren't led, most people just wind up clumping up into groups of friends/similar expectations. As far as fuel mileage goes, you'll be fine. There are many many places to break off and get fuel.)

There are all types, and they are all the friendliest bunch of crazies I've met. I backpack camped riding my dr650 the first year, camped from my v-strom the next. This year I'll probably truck the XR down. I can probably squeeze an extra bike in if you don't want to ride down. Bottom line: SIGN UP AND GO! You'll have a good time.

If you're new to riding or gravel, let me know and we can meet and tear up the gravel roads north of 380 so you can spend more time enjoying the ride at RTB.
Brad will be doing an intro class at the sand pitts again We call it Sand:101 but useful for most
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 6 10/23-10/25/2015: ?.......
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #20
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

I'll definitely be in for that after I confirm that I can attend this year. I went to RRMT and hated the sand so damn bad It wasn't made for fat people.

On a side note, is there an upcharge for bringing a non-rider? My wife and little boy want to come down and go sightseeing during the day and hang out at the fire. I didn't see a note on the official site or here, and don't want to short change you on all the food and hospitality they will gobble up.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #21
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
I'll definitely be in for that after I confirm that I can attend this year. I went to RRMT and hated the sand so damn bad It wasn't made for fat people.

On a side note, is there an upcharge for bringing a non-rider? My wife and little boy want to come down and go sightseeing during the day and hang out at the fire. I didn't see a note on the official site or here, and don't want to short change you on all the food and hospitality they will gobble up.
There is a registration option for pilon/spouse/girlfriend if they are with you. Your son can be free unless he is 15 and has two hollow legs
Old 07-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #22
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
My wife and little boy want to come down and go sightseeing during the day and hang out at the fire.
You might need to give him the talk about "the behavior you see at the fire is how you should NEVER act in public" sort of thing. Plan on giving the talk 3 or 4 times during the weekend.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #23
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
You might need to give him the talk about "the behavior you see at the fire is how you should NEVER act in public" sort of thing. Plan on giving the talk 3 or 4 times during the weekend.
Damn Dahveed. What are you trying to say? Do you not think it would be all age and gender appropriate ? You act as if we are a bunch of hooligans ! ! !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #24
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Damn Dahveed. What are you trying to say? Do you not think it would be all age and gender appropriate ? You act as if we are a bunch of hooligans ! ! !
LOL, well, compared to many many rallies, it is very age and gender appropriate. I just didn't want Depthfinder to come home one evening and find his recliner burning in his backyard. But I guess that beats finding it burning INSIDE the house.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 07-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #25
DepthFinder
Portly Adventurer

Apparently he already learned how to act in public from ADV. What with all the bottle in hand and pissing his pants shamelessly.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #26
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
LOL, well, compared to many many rallies, it is very age and gender appropriate. I just didn't want Depthfinder to come home one evening and find his recliner burning in his backyard. But I guess that beats finding it burning INSIDE the house.
I have the Recliner grande for this year
Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
I have the Recliner grande for this year
I might have to figure out a way to see that.

I haven't given up hope of getting down there for dinner, but I can't do the whole weekend this year.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #28
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahveed View Post
i might have to figure out a way to see that.

I haven't given up hope of getting down there for dinner, but i can't do the whole weekend this year.
Wimp ! ! !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #29
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,464
Quote:

D'uh. I had never seen this thread because I only look at ADV through Tapatalk on my phone. Who knew?

I just have to say, this fucker "gets it". Excellent explanation. Might need to be a quote on the website, Dody.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
ghostrider1964 OP
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
D'uh. I had never seen this thread because I only look at ADV through Tapatalk on my phone. Who knew?

I just have to say, this fucker "gets it". Excellent explanation. Might need to be a quote on the website, Dody.
It is a good reference Someone might try to follow the slowoldguy