ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
Bucho OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Taskers Gap/Peters Mill Run, VA

I hadn't been there in a long time. But went to Taskers Gap ohv area this past weekend. It was really fun!
It is pretty rocky and many of the trails aren't great for noobs. But it really had lots of great riding.
I didn't see nearly enough dirtbikes. Pretty much everyone else was on quads and lots of the side-by-side UTV thingees.

Peter's Mill Run (Trail 433) is about a 12 mile out and back jeep road. This is fairly easy and good for noobs and the bigger dualsports (KLRs and stuff).
The Tasker's Gap side is a little tougher. I only had time to ride the 493 trail, the 533 trail, and 495. 493/533 weren't too bad, just a few rockier spots. But 495 was a ball kicker. I still enjoyed it and want to go back to see if I can make it through clean next time!

I realize this is a pretty crappy ride report since I have no pictures to post. I promise to get some pics next time I go and I'll update this thread.
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:32 AM   #2
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,867
From this map,

Enter Trail 553 (Tasker's Gap Road) from 1958 (across State Route 675; NOT from the Edinburg Gap parking lot). IMHO, Trail 553 (without letter suffixes, like 553A, 553B, etc.) is about the easiest trail in the complex, with parking sites along its northern length. The easy riding extends down to "Log Landing," just past the dreaded and feared Trail 495, about to the beginning of Trail 553A, if memory serves.

Trail 495, which you mention, looks to me like a challenge for even a competent trials rider; perhaps one of the longest quarter-miles in the world! Ride that stretch without putting your foot down, and you earn my profound respect!

XDragRacer screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 05:11 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Bucho OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post

Trail 495, which you mention, looks to me like a challenge for even a competent trials rider; perhaps one of the longest quarter-miles in the world! Ride that stretch without putting your foot down, and you earn my profound respect!

I was certainly putting my feet down. I didnt mean clean in the trials sense. I more meant just without stopping. I stalled a few times and twice had to get off the bike and move it around just to make the really hard parts where I picked a poor line...

Yes, making it thru without a foot down would be fragging amazing!
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
zeroselect
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I have done Peter Mills Run as well as anything Jeep accessible trails at Taskers.

The trails is not for noobs because the rocks can be a bit intimidating. My first time was on a WR250X with basically slick tires and only went down when mud was present. I am looking at going back this Sunday to go explore the rest of the trails now that my bike has some tires that won't act as a air hockey puck.
zeroselect is offline   Reply With Quote