Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #8551
Thumpstart92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Rode the K trail with Njoytheride this weekend perfect weather for camping and riding
We camped at Iron mountain which is a great camping spot by the way good facilities and RV hook ups (if your into that kinda thing)
Spider webs all around the camp site. This particular one I was looking at with a flashlight and the shadow of the spider looked bigger and scared Craig. I thought he saw a Drunk Hippie Chick so I started running too.

Neat little bridge with more spider webs

3 Sticks

The fire tower. You can still climb up in it and look around. If your feeling brave. This would be a great primitive camping spot.

The Husky making a few splish splashes.

Caught sideways

We started a rocky down hill descent as Craig motors out of view I hear a CRACK. "ruh roh Raggie" I scamper down to find this

Craig 1 Tree 0. Craig took out a few good sized saplings even though he went down he won this round with the pines.

"I love my Giant Loops"
We were motoring pretty good with Craig in front. I get to the Indian Highhway but no Craig but there was a group from Fort Worth out riding. 2 DR's and 1 KTM (they had good taste) We chatted for a while when Craig pulled up not sure how I passed him but it worked out.
This is the part of the trail where it started getting rough. Where longer legs would come in handy. Up to this point I was feeling pretty sparky hadn't dropped my bike had been tearing it up etc etc. About 10 miles later that sparky feeling had left and my bike had been dropped a few times.

We knocked it out though no big deal. If it were easy it wouldn't be fun.
The Fort Worth fellas heard the K trail was closed towards Clayton and didn't know where to get around it. We took the K trail and then hooked into the C trail we piled up some rocks and a tree limb to try and tell them which way to go

Ate at the Hateful Hussy in Talihina and rode the Talimena Scenic Byway back to camp

Jaw met up with us at camp. He wanted to ride the CB up on the byway so we made plans to meet in town later for dinner.
Get a phone call and Jaw told us to meet him at this Mexican Restaurant.
I stepped out before we were seated to make a phone call and come back to this.

Then the cute waitress brings out a sippy cup.... I smell Dogjaw all over this.
We headed back to camp to talk and hang out around the campfire. Headed home early sunday AM and made it back to LR in 2 hours. Pretty good time for slab.
Big thanks to Njoytheride for showing me around the K trail again. His attitude is infectious it doesn't matter if he smacked a pine tree or dumped his bike he still has a smile on his face and his laughing from his gut.
Looking forward to the next ADV campout
Old 08-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #8552
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,646
D'oh! I missed the K Trail ride. Craig, you're going to have to do it again with me in tow. And nice vid, Charlie. Man that was a beautiful day.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #8553
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Great pictures, Zach. Especially the spider webs. Good thing you did not leave Craig there directing traffic. If I had seen this, I would have hauled hiney back the way I came.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpstart92 View Post
We took the K trail and then hooked into the C trail we piled up some rocks and a tree limb to try and tell them which way to go
bohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #8554
Philb772
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
[QUOTE=Thumpstart92;24774472]Rode the K trail with Njoytheride this weekend perfect weather for camping and riding

Great pictures. Looks like you all had a great weekend, thanks for sharing.

"Safety Third"
Philb772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #8555
Thumpstart92
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohawk View Post
Great pictures, Zach. Especially the spider webs. Good thing you did not leave Craig there directing traffic. If I had seen this, I would have hauled hiney back the way I came.

If I came across that in the woods I would be high tailing it to la campgroundo pronto and I would have to go back up stuff like this
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #8556
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

LOW GAP LOOP

I started this ride report over a week ago but I have been kind of busy and/or lazy lately and did not finish it. Nothing much on the TV tonight so I decided to finish it. Vic, Dennis, Pete, Mike and I met at the TAT Shak for a ride to Low Gap for lunch. We rode up east of Hwy 7 and came back west of it. Here we are fixin’ to leave the TAT Shak. I’m over here, Vic. Actually, this is kind of symbolic, as we would soon find out.

We started the off-pavement riding by heading west on Jakes Creek Rd.

It was not long before Vic’s Katy Em 690 decided to repeat its Lake Sylvia antics and begin running rough so he headed home when we got to Hwy 123.
Symptoms: Highway – runs fine; Dirt – runs like pooh after a few miles and continues to until it is shut off and restarted. Repeat with higher frequency……….
Cure (a week later): Replaced fuel pump and filter.

Our first water crossing was on the Big Piney just north of Salus, a few miles off of Hwy 21. It was pretty rocky and Mike nearly took a dip.

Dennis rode across using his feet as pontoons.

The next crossing was on the East Fork Little Buffalo River on what I think is Murray Rd or almost, anyway.

About a mile later, we turned north off of Murray Rd on to CR 167. This road parallels the Little Buffalo River for a ways, which is where we found this hapless rig. Seems it had a bit of a problem negotiating the low water bridge just upstream when the water was a lot higher. Looked like it spent quite a bit of time on its roof before righting itself.

The water was still moving pretty good when we crossed, which along with a little moss, made for some seat clinching moments.

Mooooove out of the way, please (sorry, I could not help it).

Next stop was Low Gap. There was a Super Tenere’ outside that belonged to Bug Dr. from Russellville.

When we were gearing up to leave, a feller walked up and offered to take a group photo for me. Turns out it was Matt alias Mouthfulloflake. First time we have met. He and his wife were touring about on his GS. When I saw the first picture he took, I thought Mike was doing his Hulk impression but it turns out Matt caught him in mid manly embrace.

We initially headed east on Hwy 74 to get gas in Jasper. Pete took us on a scenic detour south of Hwy 74 on CR 20 to eliminate some of the pavement.

It came out on Hwy 327, north of Parthenon. We followed it north a short distance and turned on Will Jones Rd, which crosses the Little Buffalo River. Pete got off to take a better look but the rest of us were pretty sure this was not crossable.

I had my camera ready for what would probably be the highlight of the day but Pete decided that discretion was the better part of valor and turned around.

We rode in a more or less easterly direction from Jasper and ended up in the Gene Rush Wildlife Management Area. This is from the bridge over Big Creek, just before it dumps in to the Buffalo River on the east side of Hwy 123.

Cave Creek was flowing pretty fast across this moss-free low water bridge.

We stopped at a nice campsite on Cave Creek that Vic had showed me a few weeks ago, complete with a sandy beach. Warning: I did not get a picture of it but Mike walked in to some quick sand that was quickly half way to one knee before he could take another step. A few minutes later, there was no sign of his misstep.

Dennis (hiding) and Pete.

A lot of the road through this area was covered with this white gravel, which was pretty nice to ride on.

This is the view looking northwest from Toledo Mtn toward Mt. Judea. That is Hwy 74 in the distance, winding its way down to Bass.

While we were chit-chatting, I took the opportunity to get a few shots of this Red Clover and, yes, I know it is purple but apparently it can range from red to purple to white. I’ve not paid much attention to it before now but it is has quite an elaborate flower head made up of up to a 100 little flowers or florets. Each floret consists of a banner, two wings and a keel. Pretty neat, huh? Well, I thought it was.

So we left Toledo Mtn and headed toward Richland Creek. The next object to catch my attention belonged to this.

I was leading at the time and I saw this object lying half way across the road. Turned out to be a good sized Timber Rattlesnake. I slid to a halt a little ways past it and tried to point it out to the others. It continued lying there as Dennis and Pete rode by but it made a mighty strike at Mike as he passed by. Must not have liked Hondas. It then slithered off the road and down an embankment with Mike and I in hot pursuit, camera and phone clicking away.

After our reptilian encounter, we continued south to Falling Water Falls. This amount of water is very unusual for July and the locals were making the most of it. Both of those fellers in the tree actually jumped. We talked to them afterwards and they said there is a boulder in the middle you want to avoid. Uh, okay, I do not think that would be a problem for me.

Mike was having a good time.

We crossed Hwy 16 and followed Boyd Cemetery Rd ‘til we came to CR 1809, which we followed to Victor. This is the last water crossing of the day. It is the North Fork Illinois Bayou. I was surprised to find it so low compared to the other crossings we had made today.

It was getting kind of late by now, so we followed Victor Rd to Old Hwy 27 and hauled butt south. This is a pretty heavily traveled forestry road and was very dusty.

Pete had truncation issues off and on all day. This is him and Mike returning from missing the Granny Gap Rd turn. I guess it was fitting that he end the day with a missed turn.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #8557
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,617
As usual a stellar report Bo. Thanks
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #8558
bohawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, Charlie. Glad you enjoy them.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #8559
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,856
Yepper bohawk, great stuff as usual...
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #8560
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,617
I kinda like this picture, Craig looks like he is practicing to be an umpire!

TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #8561
ozarkrider
Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer: 5,522
Yep

Great job Bo....I need to head thataway and get a ride in with ya sometime.

I'm not weird, I'm Limited Edition!

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is 100%
ozarkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #8562
Bug Dr.
Extroverted Loner

Oddometer: 238
Nice report Bo. Looks like you guys had a nice trip back home.

I enjoyed the visit at Low Gap.
Mike
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #8563
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,802
Looks like a great ride, and I love the snake!
Pleasure to meet you Sir!
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #8564
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpstart92 View Post
Rode the K trail with Njoytheride this weekend perfect weather for camping and riding
Great photos Zach! I especially liked this one.

Looked like you had a little bit of everything, swampy, rocky, muddy, nasty! It all looked like good fun. Thanks for postin! It is good to see Craig getting out and riding once in a while. I haven't had the pleasure since Queen Wilhelmena! Still working my way thru the We Don't Rent Pigs Thread. Quite a read!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #8565
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 847
Great ride report BO, nice pictures and captions to match.That is a neat area to ride in. Hummm, need to get some planning going.
Bob, guess if I have to I could go back and do the "k" trail one more time. I will give you a shout next time. Got some other areas in that neck of the woods I would like to explore.
We sure live in an awesome place to ride.
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote