Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #31
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 488
Bigger bikes are overrated. There's nothing you need to do in the road that a 250 can't do.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #32
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
No need to break the bank if you want to try a larger or different bike, plenty of used bikes at reasonable prices. No rule says only one bike at a time. Don't make the mistake of developing an emotional attachment to an inanimate object (or a particular brand name). Save your money for fuel and good gear. Wee strom a nice bike.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyboy View Post
Bigger bikes are overrated. There's nothing you need to do in the road that a 250 can't do.
I understand the attraction of a 250, but is there really one out there that could carry rider+passenger+luggage at 80 mph? Loaded like that, even my 750 is taxed a bit.

If I'm exploring the forest, I still prefer my wife's DR350, though.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
Alexander B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
The way I see it, motorbikes are far more "specialized" than cars. A modern, medium sized (european sizes, that is...), and not overly expensive car, like a Golf really covers a LOT of ground, so to say. It is easy to fit roof racks, the back seat folds, you could tow a 1400-1500 kg trailer etc. Works well in both desert and arctic climate. You do not give up much, at least not beyond the obvious size/performance/mpg factors etc.

My XT660R, which is by MANY people to be a very "diversified" commuter/dual sport/adventure still has very limited performace in some areas, especially for the highway. Another highly regarded top seller like the VFR750/800 will not be so enjoyable once you leave the tarmac and get on some gravel roads and I doubt many owners (here in Sweden) would even think of taking it down a bumpy, wet two track...

So moving up from the 250, I personally think the importent thing is to consider what one is weilling to give up, not just what to aim for.

Rant over...
Alexander B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #35
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,277
Quote:
Well I have a need for speed, kind of leaves the 250 out of the picture.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #36
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:

Except go up hills at altitude at the speed limit, pass authoritatively on two lane roads, maintain speed against high headwinds, and carry lots of stuff and be comfortable while doing it.

Don't get me wrong -- I love small bikes. I put 16K miles on an 07 Ninja 250 and keep lusting heavily over bikes like the TU250, etc.

They are not, however, ideal for some situations on the road. Here in the SW, it is usually necessary to get a on a road with a 75 MPH speed limit to get anywhere interesting. My 250, at this altitude, with my tall frame on it acting like a sail, could just about maintain 65-70 MPH on a an absolutely flat road. However, it's always windy here, and there are lots of hills. It was not a good bike for that kind of riding. And then everyone says "well just take the backroads." Even the backroads around here are high enough speed limits to be a problem on that thing.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka

LuciferMutt screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 01:03 PM
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #37
Sause
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
learned on an LC4 400. 70% offroad.

Graduated to my dream bike at the time, a Ducati Monster M750 that was marginally faster. I also had an EXC 250 for offroad duties. After a trip to Deals gap in 09 the tranny started making noise. Engine swapped to a 900. Awesome! 2010 I had a very bad off on the EXC, lost my nerve and sold it. 2011 I sold the monster which was becoming an unreliable money pit and was without a motorcycle until this year.

Now have a 990 Superduke which is as good as it gets in my eyes.
Sause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #38
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
It all depends on what you want to do with a bike.
It makes almost no sense for me to have a big bike.
I ride for fun only, so I do not need to ride places that are no fun (traffic jams), most of my rides are short, 30 to 80 miles, at speeds up to 70 or 80 mph, but I can do all day rides on nice roads without needing to do much interstate, just a bit around some jammed up city type stuff, and get to 3 different states.

I get to race the smaller bike like you would race a big bike on a track, I still get 80 mpg, the tires cost $40.00 and last a long time, service is very minimal, initial cost was low, insurance is low, and a 320 pound bike is so easy to move around and deal with, you can hop on for very short rides.

Big hills, large distances, high winds, I would want something larger, but not huge.

When I was younger and there were less police around, and fines were smaller, a bigger bike was a lot of fun, and a lot of trouble with the law even then.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #39
Corbeau
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
My first bike was what was then the Ninjette, the EX500. Rode it for two seasons, then figured out what I wanted was to cover long distances comfortably in search of twisty roads.
The answer -- for me, maybe not for you -- was the 6th gen VFR.
How did I know I was ready? The EX, while great for commuting, a great, forgiving learning bike, just wasn't doing it for me anymore.
Stayed on the VFR for 10 years before getting my dual sport earlier this summer. (And now, I'm a beginner all over again, and I love it!)
Corbeau is offline   Reply With Quote