ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
Faceman214
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wink

Hey everyone sorry to jump in mid topic but wanted to introduce myself. Just moved from fresno to redding CA and looking for some dual sport riders to ride with! I am still a noob at off roading in general but really want to get out and learn as much as I can. If anyone in the area is up for a ride or can suggest good places to start PM me or respond here, it would be greatly appreciated!
Faceman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
Where in Nor Cal?
As stated in the original post, and some did not read it -
Eldorado, Gold Country

Edit: I'm in Folsom CA but people in Sac believe anything North of Sac is NorCal to the Oregon border. Hundreds of businesses, motorsport, and athletic clubs located nearby are prefixed with "NorCal" in their business names, logos, or club names. We are in Gold Country which some refer to a Northern California as opposed to "Bay Area, Central Valley, SoCal" area designation.

I typically ride single track dirt, dual sport, and road in the Eldorado, Gold Country or Tahoe National areas.

Plan to switch it up a bit now with a new KTM 690 Enduro R to explore areas further out

decooney screwed with this post 07-13-2014 at 11:28 AM
decooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #18
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Any other 650/690 ADV or DS dirt and backroad riders out here in these areas?
I live in Folsom and have a Honda XR650L. I try to get out regularly but "life" has been getting in the way of that lately.

My goal this summer is to find as many dirt roads that I haven't been on as possible. I still need to ride the one between Hell Hole Reservoir and French Meadows as part of scouting a longer route through that area. There are plenty of good roads that I still need to visit between Nevada City and Downieville as well.

I can usually only get out riding on Saturdays.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
Mike Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
are you serious ? looking for other 6 something riders ?
Mike Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #20
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Hey Scott,
Here in Folsom too. Just saw your post. I rode with GCDSR five years back, did the annual April 150s a few times sort of fizzled out as I recall. Good to know you are in the area planning some of the rides and linked in the GCDSR group. My other 690 buddy has mapped out a bunch of those rides, mentions Hell Hole and those places too, so I'm looking forward to doing a few of those. Breaking in a new 690 enduro now, getting protection hardware mounted and will be ready to ride in 30 days after break in and just before it starts cooling off. PM me if you think of it with more details. Thx.

Do you post on GCDSR or elsewhere?
Old 07-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Do you post on GCDSR or elsewhere?
I post on the "official" Sacramento area dual sport rides thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756899

And on GCDSR. Sometimes I'll post a note on Sacramento Crotch Rockets in their dirt section too.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #22
charliefrench2oo8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hey everyone. I'm also in the "norcal" area. I live up near Georgetown but commute to Folsom everyday. I'm always up for a ride within a hundred mile radius. I have some pretty cool trails in the Nevada forest that are KLR/Big bike friendly. I'm on a DRZ400s.
charliefrench2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I'll be posting the second annual Sierra Buttes ride on GCDSR sometime in September. I can't figure out exactly when until I'm a couple of weeks out.

We had five bikes on the last one. The next one will involve less "getting lost" between Nevada City and Downieville, since I know that area quite a bit better now.

I might list something in August too. I'm not a fan of big groups, preferring 8 or fewer riders, so the ones I schedule won't be "official rides". But we'll get in lots of dirt roads and they're generally big bike friendly.
Thx Scott,
Operative word in this thread was "dual sport". Sold my 450, and replaced it with a 690 intending to shoot for longer backcountry road/dirt road rides. "Big bike friendly" works for me. :) I work with and ride with DrKayak who posts many photos on that other Sac thread. I'm pretty much done with the whole hairy single track and destroy-my-bike-riding-over-impossible-bolders thing, now on the 690. I'll be on the lookout for your posts. Planning a ride with a group of 690s soon with Dr. Kayak and Danny K locals in Cameron Park. I'll let them know about your ride too, or vice versa.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Charlie/Scott,

Looking at the site, Wheelie John over at GCDSR is planning a night ride on July 26th up to Georgetown for Pizza and back. It's probably more of a road ride up there, but sounds like fun anyhow just to meet up, get the bikes out.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Charlie/Scott,

Looking at the site, Wheelie John over at GCDSR is planning a night ride on July 26th up to Georgetown for Pizza and back. It's probably more of a road ride up there, but sounds like fun anyhow just to meet up, get the bikes out.
If they're going from Georgetown to Foresthill, you can do it all on pavement or you can do quite a bit on dirt. I'm not a night person or I would consider it.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #26
decooney OP
Enduro Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
If they're going from Georgetown to Foresthill, you can do it all on pavement or you can do quite a bit on dirt. I'm not a night person or I would consider it.
I think they are considering starting in Antelope>Auburn>Georgetown>Forest Hill to French Meadows and back, or something like this. Probably more road than not I'm guessing. There will be a lot of bikes and lights on this one so we'll be all on the lookout for deer for sure. I would not do this unless there were a lot of bikes making noise. We'll see how it goes.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #27
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Scott, going to need to hook up with you soon. Need to get out to the Big bike dirt.
You get something together throw it up on SCR......I'll get my Tigger dirty....lol

Kurt J
SCR

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #28
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone14s View Post
Scott, going to need to hook up with you soon. Need to get out to the Big bike dirt.
You get something together throw it up on SCR......I'll get my Tigger dirty....lol
This weekend I'm dealing with what I did last week (have to take the engine apart on my Honda). Next Saturday or the one after that I'll come up with something.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #29
Gone14s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Sounds good......

http://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/...900%20elefant/
Gone14s is offline   Reply With Quote