User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Kcizik OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Project bike -- Need parts -- Nicaragua

I thought I'd throw this out there, since there's a wealth of information here. For those who live in Nica, like myself, how do you get you parts shipped down here? I usually have a string of visitors to bring stuff but I'm in a bit of a dry spell right now for them. Any suggestions?
Kcizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 766
aside from having people bring them down, the best way is panorama travel/cargo.

they have an office in miami and in managua. not very expensive. i've shipped a 55" LED tv for $83.

now, dealing with customs at the airport is a whole nother nightmare. plan on wasting 1/2 day there. plan on arguing about how much the parts are worth vs. how much THEY think they are worth.

for small things, you can also look into nicabox. some of my friends in managua have used them and no one has had a bad experience that they've told me about.

or you can contact frank at triumph and see what he can do for you. don't expect free.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Kcizik OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
aside from having people bring them down, the best way is panorama travel/cargo.

they have an office in miami and in managua. not very expensive. i've shipped a 55" LED tv for $83.

now, dealing with customs at the airport is a whole nother nightmare. plan on wasting 1/2 day there. plan on arguing about how much the parts are worth vs. how much THEY think they are worth.

for small things, you can also look into nicabox. some of my friends in managua have used them and no one has had a bad experience that they've told me about.

or you can contact frank at triumph and see what he can do for you. don't expect free.
Awesome, that's what I was looking for. I've tried some container companies. Not real pleased with any though. I've done the customs at the airport many times. Sometimes no problem, other times they're scrutinizing everything including canned food.
I'll try panorama, thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Kcizik OP
Adventurer

Quote:

Ok so I called them. Here's my question: who does the aduana work? They said they just leave it in Managua, the rest is up to you. I don't have a residency, so that changes things a bit.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
brecchi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Ill be be down there at the end of September I think. If so, I can try to help you out by bringing some things on the plane.
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcizik View Post
Ok so I called them. Here's my question: who does the aduana work? They said they just leave it in Managua, the rest is up to you. I don't have a residency, so that changes things a bit.
yeah, they'll do aduanas for you for like $125!!! you don't need residency. about two years ago, they did away with the "receive $500 in whatever every six months" exemption which now only applies if you bring it WITH YOU.

just be sure you spell your name EXACTLY how it is written in your passport, otherwise say goodbye to your stuff.

the aduanas office you will go to is just west of the passenger terminal entrance.

not to be a kill joy, but with respect to offers by people to bring, just be aware that they are getting stupid strict with stuff like parts. no exemption even if brought in luggage. and yeah, many times you can get thru without a problem. it's the one time you don't that you need to think about.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Kcizik OP
Adventurer

Quote:
yeah, they'll do aduanas for you for like $125!!! you don't need residency. about two years ago, they did away with the "receive $500 in whatever every six months" exemption which now only applies if you bring it WITH YOU.

just be sure you spell your name EXACTLY how it is written in your passport, otherwise say goodbye to your stuff.

the aduanas office you will go to is just west of the passenger terminal entrance.

not to be a kill joy, but with respect to offers by people to bring, just be aware that they are getting stupid strict with stuff like parts. no exemption even if brought in luggage. and yeah, many times you can get thru without a problem. it's the one time you don't that you need to think about.
I hear ya. I talked to frank, he said he could do it. That's seems like the safer bet.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

cool. oh and FYI, they have this realtively new BS they've been pulling at the airport. if you bring something with you that they think you need to pay import duties on and you arrive at night or even early evening, you're SOL and will have to come back to the airport during the day to pay the taxes.

i witnessed a guy get screwed this way about three months ago. we landed at 7 pm. he had brought a security camera set with him that had 8 cameras. the brainiacs determined that that set amounted to the commercial importation of electronic goods, and required him to pay duties. of course the cashier was closed so they told him to come back the next day. he explained that he was going to Rivas that evening, meaning he would have to make a 4+ hour round trip the next day. they couldn't give a shit.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
Kcizik OP
Adventurer

Its just gets better and better